Wal-Mart bike

GoldenMotor.com

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
I know that aluminum is great for lightness but much too soft. Steel is the better material, there are some that use aluminum frames. The mounts need reenforcement to be safe.

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
I know that aluminum is great for lightness but much too soft. Steel is the better material, there are some that use aluminum frames. The mounts need reenforcement to be safe.
Thanks for your suggestion.

Could anyone post the distance between their chain and seat post
I'm trying to measure to see if my bike is going to work
Thanks for the input.

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
Does this help?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Sort of helps
I'm going to take some pictures so you guys can see what I'm talking about

This picture describes the problem i'm seeing perfectly

The tire tread is actually sticking out alot further then the seat post
and to make things worse the frame bends in near where the sprocket is going to go.

What I predict will happen is the kit will work fine but the tires will be ripping into the chain. or either the frame

Last edited:

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
I looked at this photo and I thought it might give you and idea how to get around your drive chain clearance issue:

What do you think?

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
looks like you will be fine. the pedal chain doesnt hit anything so chances are neither will the drive chain
I hope so man

Also where can i get the universal motor mounts because i think I'm going to need them

I saw the other guy had to use them and i was looking at the down tube and seat tube and i'm almost 100% positive he has them for a reason
(reason being the tubes are to thick)

jerrydellg

Apr 28, 2011
louisiana
I'm in the beginning stages of putting together a mb. This is my first time posting on this site. I picked this thread because of the mention of a wal-mart bike. I have no experience with wal-mart bikes as theyh pertain to the addition of motors. I do have plenty experience using them under my own power. They kinda suck. I had a lajolla that I returned after 2 months. The crank arm :confused: Fell off. It was stripped. I assume it was installed improperly. I exchanged it for a huffy cranbrook. I've had it tbree weeks. The rear tire keeps sliding forward, causing the chain to pop off. The pedal started falling off yesterday. My concern is that I believe I sbhould get a "quality" b ike if I'm going to put a motor on it. I did a little research. The firmstrong cruisers seem like a good cbhoice. Anyone have an opinion on them? Anyone have any suggestions on any other quality bikes?

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
I'm in the beginning stages of putting together a mb. This is my first time posting on this site. I picked this thread because of the mention of a wal-mart bike. I have no experience with wal-mart bikes as theyh pertain to the addition of motors. I do have plenty experience using them under my own power. They kinda suck. I had a lajolla that I returned after 2 months. The crank arm :confused: Fell off. It was stripped. I assume it was installed improperly. I exchanged it for a huffy cranbrook. I've had it tbree weeks. The rear tire keeps sliding forward, causing the chain to pop off. The pedal started falling off yesterday. My concern is that I believe I sbhould get a "quality" b ike if I'm going to put a motor on it. I did a little research. The firmstrong cruisers seem like a good cbhoice. Anyone have an opinion on them? Anyone have any suggestions on any other quality bikes?
Well everyones experience is different

Just because something bad happened does not mean everything wallmart SELLS is bad.

Wal-mart does not make those bikes. Kent makes some of them and other manufacturers

So really what your saying is that anything made in china is bad?
I dont get it.

Anyways that's your experience with items sold at wal-mart
I've not had a similar one

Also if your rim is sliding off the frame tighten it down and use some loc-tite if you want
Always do a PDI on these bicycles before you ride them

I do because the idiots putting together in the store dont have a clue what their doing
so maybe that is the most of your problems?

Just get the bike not assembled and put it together yourself
They come with a booklet instructing how to assemble.

Last edited:

jerrydellg

Apr 28, 2011
louisiana
I'm not saying everything walmart sells is bad. I never even mentioned china. I'm simply trying to get this mb thing right on the first try. If I felt confident I could get a bike from walmart that wouldn't give me problems I'd do it in a second. What I'm saying is that getting two bikes from two different manufacturers from one store that have failed seems like something more than coincedence. If I'm going to put a motor on a bike that will, presumably, put more stress on it than "regular" riding then I should probably put it on a bike that doesn't fall apart after three weeks of back-and-forth from work.

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
I'm not saying everything walmart sells is bad. I never even mentioned china. I'm simply trying to get this mb thing right on the first try. If I felt confident I could get a bike from walmart that wouldn't give me problems I'd do it in a second. What I'm saying is that getting two bikes from two different manufacturers from one store that have failed seems like something more than coincedence. If I'm going to put a motor on a bike that will, presumably, put more stress on it than "regular" riding then I should probably put it on a bike that doesn't fall apart after three weeks of back-and-forth from work.
If the bike is falling apart then their is a big problem.

I dont see how welded steel or aluminum tubes are going to "fall apart"

It's not made of cardboard or something................
Anyways i've never had a frame snap on me and i torture bicycles
I jump off ledges and put stress on all sections of the frame and the most I've seen is cracked rims and broken spokes
bent forks but never a snapped frame.

Anyways I will take my chances with this bike.
I was working on Chinese scooters before this and let me tell you. most of the 100+$ bikes at wal-mart have stronger components then most scooters coming out of china.

I stripped a steel fork mount on a chinese scooter with 10lb/ft of torque so let me tell you that is some scary stuff. especially when your going 50mph and only 2 of those bolts hold the front fork assembly on.

Anyways before you buy something check it out.
It's not like you are pressured to buy anything and if it keeps giving you problems just take it back to the store

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
@Newbikers - Have you ridden your new bike yet (ie. under "human power")? How's the ride? How's the fit compared to the Schwinn Link (the blue 26" mountain bike we discussed)? Do your feet touch the front wheel during turns? I'm still trying to decide what bike to get.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
I hope so man

Also where can i get the universal motor mounts because i think I'm going to need them

I saw the other guy had to use them and i was looking at the down tube and seat tube and i'm almost 100% positive he has them for a reason
(reason being the tubes are to thick)
i would guess you are going to have to fab a frt mount. do you have access to a welder? it's 420 in the morning when i wake up later i will take a pic of my frt mount its really easy to make and is solid. you got me interested in buying one now.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
dude that bike looks solid. replace some components for cheap money and you got a racer there. i think a bike from wally world in the 200$ + range is gonna be descent. its the 79$ rides u wanna worry about lol

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
@Newbikers - Have you ridden your new bike yet (ie. under "human power")? How's the ride? How's the fit compared to the Schwinn Link (the blue 26" mountain bike we discussed)? Do your feet touch the front wheel during turns? I'm still trying to decide what bike to get.
Yeah i took it on the pavement yesterday
Its nice
feet dont touch because i always pedal with my balls of my feet anyways not my heel

If i purposely try to pedal with my heels and put my foot very far forward then it is able to touch the tire

Under a normal circumstance or just resting my feet. nope.

Front suspension is very nice to, it's got alot of pressure in it so thats a good thing especially if you weigh alot

edit:

1 problem i noticed is the front disc is out of true.
I'm going to use some clamps and adjust it back into being true.

Last edited:

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Found this thread that includes more photos of the orange cousin to your bike:
WOW! Wally 29er in now! - Mountain Bike Review

I'm real close to pulling the trigger on this or the black 29" cruiser. I'm leaning towards this bike as I don't like coaster brakes and want at least a few gears to get over hills (not 100% sure I'll motorize my bike, at least not immediately).

How's the quality of the components? What components do you thing you'll replace?

Newbikers

Apr 25, 2011
charlotte N C
Found this thread that includes more photos of the orange cousin to your bike:
WOW! Wally 29er in now! - Mountain Bike Review

I'm real close to pulling the trigger on this or the black 29" cruiser. I'm leaning towards this bike as I don't like coaster brakes and want at least a few gears to get over hills (not 100% sure I'll motorize my bike, at least not immediately).

How's the quality of the components? What components do you thing you'll replace?
I wont replace anything component wise
the trigger and thumb shifts are smooth as glass

the polymer brake levers are amazing and short length for 2-3 finger operation

would be nicer if the seat post and tires were quick release but I've had problems with that system in the past so I'm sort of glad they are just bolt type

& the MAIN thing i would / will be replacing is
the tires.

They are huge and wide and alot of knobs for off road use lots of rolling resistance
since i will be commuting I'm going to order maybe some 700c tires with slicker road tred

I was reading that 700c cruiser tires will fit on the 29er rims.
they are the same diameter basicly

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS

heres that mount. i roll a tube that the id is the same as the od of the downtube cut it in two weld the mount tab to it then clamp it to the frame with industrial nut clamps not the cheesy regular hose clamps. solid!!

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
The first thing I would replace is the seat. My butt isn't used to a racing seat any more. ;)

I found this graphic that shows both your white version and the current orange version. Besides the obvious color difference, there are some subtle differences in the frame. Looks like your version has a slightly longer wheel base:

Edit: had to post the two images separately, the forums don't support GIF animation apparently.

Last edited: