Old guys should never forget

GoldenMotor.com

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
You're a 19 year old kid. You are critically wounded and dying in the jungle some where in the Central Highlands of Viet Nam. It's Noverberr 11, 1967.
LZ (landing zone) Xray. Your unit is out numbered 8-1 and the enemy fire is so intense from 100 yards away, that your CO has ordered the MedEvac helicopters to stop coming in. You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns and you know you're not getting out.
Your family is half way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again.
As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day. Then - over the machine gun noise - you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter. You look up to seee a Huey coming in. But.... It doesn't seem real because no MedEvac markings are on it. Captain Ed Freeeman is coming in for you. He's not MedEvac so it's not his job, but he heard the radio call and decided he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire anyway.
Even after the MedEvacs were ordered not to come. He's coming anyway. And he drops it in and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 3 of you at a time on board.
Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire to the doctors and nurses and safety.
And, he kept coming back!! 13 more times!!
Until all the wounded were out. No one knew until the mission was over that the Captain had been hit 4 times in the legs and left arm. He took 29 of you and your buddies out that day. Some would not have made it without the Captain and his Huey.
Medal of honor Recipient, Captain Ed Freeman, United States Air Force, died Wednesday 1-15-15 at the age of 70, in Boise, Idaho.
May God Bless and Rest His Soul.

buzzard

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
The comments before mine say as much as, or more than, I could add.

I'd wish him, "Rest in Peace". But it's not necessary. Such an honorable man can not be resting any other way.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
May God Bless and protect all our men and women in uniform and also be with those who have been in the past whether still with us or whether have left this world for Paradise...

One of my brother -in -law was one of the 241 Marines who was killed in the Beirut Oct. 23, 1983, my other brother in law, also a Marine got really messed up by the chemical agents ( "they didn't have" ) that were used on them when he was involved in Operation Desert Storm, I have one son that served in the Air Force and I currently have a step son that is in the Army and spent 2 years over in Afghanistan, He's back in the states now but he had to help put many of our soldiers back together when he was there and lost several good friends while over there.

My wife and I pray daily for our troops and for their families, that is the least we can do and we should show them the utmost of respect for the sacrifices they make and have made.

Shan

Flyman

Nov 28, 2014
Vian Oklahoma
A man Brother. Our family all vets. Dad pilot WW11 vet, Me 1963 Navy vet, Son 1992 West Point grad & Desert Storm Vet. Yep our family salutes you all & are proud to
be Americans.
Fly

You're a 19 year old kid. You are critically wounded and dying in the jungle some where in the Central Highlands of Viet Nam. It's Noverberr 11, 1967.
LZ (landing zone) Xray. Your unit is out numbered 8-1 and the enemy fire is so intense from 100 yards away, that your CO has ordered the MedEvac helicopters to stop coming in. You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns and you know you're not getting out.
Your family is half way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again.
As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day. Then - over the machine gun noise - you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter. You look up to seee a Huey coming in. But.... It doesn't seem real because no MedEvac markings are on it. Captain Ed Freeeman is coming in for you. He's not MedEvac so it's not his job, but he heard the radio call and decided he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire anyway.
Even after the MedEvacs were ordered not to come. He's coming anyway. And he drops it in and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 3 of you at a time on board.
Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire to the doctors and nurses and safety.
And, he kept coming back!! 13 more times!!
Until all the wounded were out. No one knew until the mission was over that the Captain had been hit 4 times in the legs and left arm. He took 29 of you and your buddies out that day. Some would not have made it without the Captain and his Huey.
Medal of honor Recipient, Captain Ed Freeman, United States Air Force, died Wednesday 1-15-15 at the age of 70, in Boise, Idaho.
May God Bless and Rest His Soul.

buzzard
My pronouns are: patriot, proud American, and anti-communist.