Glue to hold rubber hose to oil breather on engine?

GoldenMotor.com

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I have the 3hp Briggs 4 stroke and am going to use the breather with the rubber 45 degree angle bend rubber hose short piece that goes to it.

The problem is that it pulls out very easily. It is sort of a rubber grommet like strain relief that is used on electrical feed through to a chassis. It is the original Briggs part and to get it to fit a slightly newer air filter where it sends the oil breather fumes back to be re-burned, I had to adapt it to a slightly larger diameter hose. The hose is a bit stiff and the slight bend it makes to connect breather to air filter has it prying the fitting out of the breather.

I figure gluing it in place, but to connect rubber to the metal breather hole fitting that also gets hot and has oil fumes, what glue can take the heat and the oil. I am thinking high temp red RTV and gob it on so it holds. The other thing I was thinking was glue that does not stretch like RTV, but don't know if high temp and oil fumes would harm something like Seal All. It is OK for gasoline, but temperature? Also thought of some kind of two part epoxy, but again both high temp and oil may break it down.

Any ideas, short of maybe just getting some metal tube and soldering it to the metal. Or actually not solder it too may be just not high temp enough, but silver solder a metal tube to the breather hole and then the hose just fits right on. I only have a MIG and a mapp gas oxygen flame small torch. The MIG low setting would melt through the thin metal though. I also have the propane torch with air, but probably not hot enough flame.

Ideas?

MT

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
For taking it to the DMV to show them the bike for off roading, I'd be best to make it look like it is as clean burning as can be. The old style engine it is anyway still has it made so that it can be connected up.

I know the old 5S and 6S cast iron Briggs I have just point to fumes downward and have no means for a hose to connect.

MT

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Super glue will glue rubber to metal REALLY well.
I checked super glue and temperature is around 180 to 200 degree fahrenheit.

I saw this:

http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-highheat/

I think I'll give this a try, but I'll use it on the outside of the rubber hose and fillet it over onto the outside of the oil breather cover metal part.

This way the hot oil fumes are not in contact with the J-B Weld High Heat Glue, but just the heat only. They say 450 degree constant and 500 intermittent temperature limit Fahrenheit.

I forgot the glue does not have to be placed in contact with the oil vapors.

MT

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I found a way to reroute the hose and it is staying in place, but I will proably have some use for this high temperate epoxy some day. Hopefully before its shelf life ends.

I have another issue with one pillow bearings staying in there holder on a jackshaft now, but I will be fixing that too.

The more recent test had not a wheelee from a stop, but surely un-weighting of the front wheel and real good acceleration with the 40:1 ratio and the belts treated with spray conditioner treatment.

MT

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=472733#post472733