100:1 Mix

GoldenMotor.com

GEJoe

Mar 30, 2011
Tennessee
I followed Brad's instructions to a tee with my brand new Dax GT50R. I was all set to see the benefits of Opti-2, had even read this whole thread (which is why I tried it to begin with). But like the earlier post about hitting the thumb with a hammer, I now have a new seized engine from using Opti-2 at 100:1. When I kindly and patiently explained to Brad at Interlube what had happened, he quickly ended the call, leaving me to fend for myself. Cannot use what makes the engine seize. No Brainer, fanboys notwithstanding.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I followed Brad's instructions to a tee with my brand new Dax GT50R. I was all set to see the benefits of Opti-2, had even read this whole thread (which is why I tried it to begin with). But like the earlier post about hitting the thumb with a hammer, I now have a new seized engine from using Opti-2 at 100:1. When I kindly and patiently explained to Brad at Interlube what had happened, he quickly ended the call, leaving me to fend for myself. Cannot use what makes the engine seize. No Brainer, fanboys notwithstanding.
Maybe a defective Dax GT50R, did the chrome peel off the
walls?
Dax had some Titans that the chrome was peeling on and he
swore black and blue that all his Titans had iron liners.
Turned out that he was incorrect and the Titan did have
peeling chrome.

Why don't you post up some pics of the damage?
Do you still have the engine?
Little strange that you didn't mention it until today?

Your details are a little sketchy....when did this happen?
what exactly happened?
How many miles did you have on it?
How much Opti did you mix and from what Opti product?

I made a post today that was clearly about Opti 4's warranty
and you sent me a PM thinking that the warranty applied to 2 strokes.
Your reading comprehension is not good.

That doesn't sound like Brad to me and he is out sick this week
so he can't answer.

This was your only post about it. 4-27-2011, 04:22 PM
I just bought a DAX friction drive with the 4.2 hp GT50R. Duane says I can cruise up hills now without pedaling. I used to have (will be switched as soon as the Dax arrives) the old 24.5 cc Golden Eagle, but in addition to pedaling up every small hill, had to upgrade to 12 guage spokes and buy a new belt every season. I live in the mountains now and am looking forward to trouble free and no pedaling!

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
or, you could turn all the logic around like some people are fond of doing and make the opposite conclusion.

Dax's engines aren't good enough for Opti 2...

sorry, couldn't resist...:)

without doing a full scientific analysis on your motor, how do you know it was caused by Opti 2? could've been something else.

BUT, for the sake of argument (and i love arguments) let's say it was Opti 2.

that makes 1 engine out of allll the rest on this forum.

that's a good track record.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
or, you could turn all the logic around like some people are fond of doing and make the opposite conclusion.

Dax's engines aren't good enough for opti 2...

Sorry, couldn't resist...:)

without doing a full scientific analysis on your motor, how do you know it was caused by opti 2? Could've been something else.

But, for the sake of argument (and i love arguments) let's say it was opti 2.

That makes 1 engine out of allll the rest on this forum.

That's a good track record.

amen.........!

GEJoe

Mar 30, 2011
Tennessee
I just got the engine from Dax two weeks ago and it tore up last week from using Opti-2. Sorry that it seems "strange". I suppose I could have posted this the day it happened. I do not have a camera just yet, but any of you can come visit here in Tennessee to make photos if you want.

GEJoe

Mar 30, 2011
Tennessee
I guess I will tear it down today. I cannot ride until I get a new cylinder and rings anyway. I was planning to send it to Dax upon receiving my replacement parts, but I will send it to him today or tomorrow. Fortunately, even without warranties from Dax or Opti, these engines are very cheap to redo. I do not sell bikes or oil, and otherwise have no ulterior motives in posting here. I contacted both Bairdco and 2Door privately even before I bought my Opti-2. I told Dax about what happened with my engine last week and offered to post my experience here even before this part of the thread developed. I have been riding a motorized bike since 2005 and even did a 330 mile trip in 2006. I don't believe it is a quality of product issue, either with Dax engines or Opti-2. I believe there are just some instances where engines are not compatible with Opti-2, and in those rare cases often Interlube made good on it. Maybe Brad was getting sick already when he called me and that is why he ended the call. I really don't care about the warranty issue or this beginning of a flame war, I just want to get back to riding!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I guess I will tear it down today. I cannot ride until I get a new cylinder and rings anyway. I was planning to send it to Dax upon receiving my replacement parts, but I will send it to him today or tomorrow. Fortunately, even without warranties from Dax or Opti, these engines are very cheap to redo. I do not sell bikes or oil, and otherwise have no ulterior motives in posting here. I contacted both Bairdco and 2Door privately even before I bought my Opti-2. I told Dax about what happened with my engine last week and offered to post my experience here even before this part of the thread developed. I have been riding a motorized bike since 2005 and even did a 330 mile trip in 2006. I don't believe it is a quality of product issue, either with Dax engines or Opti-2. I believe there are just some instances where engines are not compatible with Opti-2, and in those rare cases often Interlube made good on it. Maybe Brad was getting sick already when he called me and that is why he ended the call. I really don't care about the warranty issue or this beginning of a flame war, I just want to get back to riding!

I say you had a defective engine from the start unless you had the Opti mixed wrong which I doubt based on the experience you say you have.

My money is on what causes most of the failures with these somewhat & sometimes poorly built engines, and that is it's just that.......a poorly built engine that had issues straight from the box.

No such thing is an engine that is or isnt compatable with Opti 2 it's just oil and in all of the engines the major components are just steel, chrome & alum.

The materials in the engine cant get an alergy to one type of oil........ and for whatever reason prefer one over the other...a butt load of 30w mixed at 16:1 might make it last a bit longer even with an issue but it will still fail young

Anything that works in one will work in all of them and anything that fails in one would fail in all of them and any engine that fails running Opti 2 would fail with anything else you had in it also.

Any 2 stroke oil/fuel mixed right will work in these engines any 2 stroke oil/fuel mixed wrong will seize these engines.

These things aint rocket science just simple mechanical engines NOT motors by the way, and some of them come out of the factory with fatal problems and will die early on reguardless of what you put in them or how you run them.

Peace

brnot

GEJoe

Mar 30, 2011
Tennessee
Ok, I tore the engine down. Attached are photos I took with the camera on my netbook. Today I am sending the piston to Duane so he can evaluate if I need to replace it in addition to the rings and cylinder. No sign of a poor chrome plating job. One thing I can say for Opti-2 is that the piston was not stuck like the one in the weed eater video when I pulled it out of the cylinder but came out easy. After this I will follow manufacturer recommendation and not exceed 40:1, even when using up the other 8 packets of Opti-2 I have left.

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Ok, I tore the engine down. Attached are photos I took with the camera on my netbook. Today I am sending the piston to Duane so he can evaluate if I need to replace it in addition to the rings and cylinder. No sign of a poor chrome plating job. One thing I can say for Opti-2 is that the piston was not stuck like the one in the weed eater video when I pulled it out of the cylinder but came out easy. After this I will follow manufacturer recommendation and not exceed 40:1, even when using up the other 8 packets of Opti-2 I have left.
What engine is that a CAG?

That isnt even the China girl engine that I was under the impresion you had....doesnt matter though, Opti 2 wasnt your problem either way guaranteed............you have other issues at play with your engine problems.

GEJoe

Mar 30, 2011
Tennessee
Shows how thoroughly we read sometimes. My posts have consistently said it was a Dax GT50R. Yes, they are pocket bike engines.

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary
/gets popcorn

On a lighter note my bike is loving opti 2, I am not loving the wet weather right now so kinda hard to totally test it.
Funny thing too is everyone was saying that I will have to go leaner when switching , but after switching over to opti 2 , I think i might be borderline too lean, its a lot colder out right now than when I put the bike away last summer so maybe thats why?
Either way I should adjust my needle and see what happens.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
GeJoe,
I enhanced one of your photos for a better look. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.
So this engine "seized" but the piston came out easily? So what was seized?
Does the crankshaft rotate? Does the connecting rod turn on the crank?

What I'm seeing from your photos does not look like oil starvation.

Tom

Attachments

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I have a couple of questions too.

Was the cag motor only run with Opti 2 from new?
Did you mix a 1.8 oz packet to 1 gal or?
How much did you use the motor before it had the problem?
How many miles?
You were riding it and what happened?
How did you break it in?
Did you let it idle?

Your pics don't show much.
What is the actual damage?
Scratches?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
this is the best thread going right now. it just keeps getting better. it's so good that i've got private messages filled with tears, some people laughing, and one person whining and crying.

i'm figuring this thread is on the verge of being locked, and possibly censored, which would really be too bad. seems like Opti 2 just eclipsed the chain tensioner for "most opinionated thread."

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Shows how thoroughly we read sometimes. My posts have consistently said it was a Dax GT50R. Yes, they are pocket bike engines.
Yep I remember that now, sorry about that......the way Dax describes his relabled engines throws me for a loop sometime, I had 48/49cc china girl on my mind for some reason, I guess because that what most of us here run on our bikes.

Peace