My Cannondale Race Bike for the 2015 season

GoldenMotor.com

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
So I finally decided to build a new race bike... (The old OM Flyer just didn't have enough room for a proper racing engine). :(

After thinking about it for a long time, I finally decided to use a all aluminum Cannondale bike.

I built it with new Felt 50mm wheels, I machined my own reed valve engine from all used parts & a used FMF CR80 pipe.

I'm running a rear coaster brake on a vertical dropout frame, so I had to do a lot of extra work to get both chains just right.

I'm also running a Fred head right now, but hopefully my new VMB Shark Heads will be ready to go for the first race. ;)

James at GhettoBike built me the gas tank & welded my brake tab on the aluminum fork for me... (I did all the other welding & fabrication).

This is by far the most powerful engine I've ever built & I can't wait to get it out on the track next month! (^)

image-1299429221.jpg

image-3563653095.jpg

image-3155535054.jpg

image-288315998.jpg

image-2214369841.jpg

image-3006717956.jpg

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Looks like it should handle great! That tank filler cap sticking up makes me a bit nervous though...Looks dangerous in a crash and potentially deadly in a collision or flip.
Imagine grinding it off or slamming into it with your chest at speed.....
I'd rethink the fuel setup myself.
Like hanging it down below the bars in front, almost like a rack mounted position
But that's just my thought. Your bike.

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Nice looking bike. Where did you get the angled seat post from, and how much was it?
I don't know who makes the seat post, It was on the bike when I bought it.

why'd you mount the gas tank on the top of the handlebar stem?

Looks like it should handle great! That tank filler cap sticking up makes me a bit nervous though...Looks dangerous in a crash and potentially deadly in a collision or flip.
Like hanging it down below the bars in front, almost like a rack mounted position
The reason the tank's mounted above the stem is because if I placed it under it (or behind the seat) it would put the shut off valve lower than the carb inlet, (& the tank wouldn't completely empty into the carb).

It looks a little sketchy being there, but trust me, I'm very concerned with safety & I feel comfortable (safety wise) with it being there. ;)

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
That tank wouldn't worry me a bit......those pedals are what's gonna get you :D

Bike looks great Norm, look forward to seeing it on the track!

scotto-

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I like it, Norm. It looks fast. How much does it weigh without rider?

Tom
Thanks Tom, I haven't weighed the bike yet... But I'll try to remember to bring a scale to the shop & find out. ;)

Very Nice!!
Is that a CR80 pipe you're using?
I really like those 50mm rims and thickslick tires too
It turns out that this is probably a CR125 pipe... (It was listed on ebay as a CR80 pipe). :/

That tank wouldn't worry me a bit......those pedals are what's gonna get you :D

Bike looks great Norm, look forward to seeing it on the track!

scotto-
Thanks Scott... I'll see you at the track! (^)

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I was so happy with how this engine was performing that I decided to tear it apart & 'try to' make it better!!

I added a 42mm stroker crank, a bigger intake port & one of my new VMB Shark heads! (^)

Keep your fingers crossed!!

image-3826718099.jpg

image-499545523.jpg

image-642303536.jpg

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Awesome looking bike VMB. I'm assuming the stroker crank is custom? What kind of benefits would the longer stroke provide? I would assume more low end torque, but how does that effect the high revving aspect of it? Is the engine completely balanced? (as much as a 1 cylinder can be that is)

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Awesome looking bike VMB. I'm assuming the stroker crank is custom? What kind of benefits would the longer stroke provide? I would assume more low end torque, but how does that effect the high revving aspect of it? Is the engine completely balanced? (as much as a 1 cylinder can be that is)
Yes, the crank is custom,... The stroker crank gives more displacement, which in turn gives more power.