Quest for Rear Wheel

GoldenMotor.com

newbie tryin

Mar 13, 2011
Australia
Hey everybody!

I am a 25 (26 this year) married dude who loves bicycles and used to ride bikes (I still have a unlimited cc bike license) except the biggest bike I owned was a 2-stroke 150cc which went 170 kmh (probably 190 max?) that inevitably broke down on me years ago when I had to study overseas (still unmarried then). It was a ****ty bike anyway that I bought for 500bucks and cost me more to fix up, and was probably illegal (the guy who sold it to me said he used it for backstreet races). Well I was poor and poor so I bought it. Anyway I kinda hate motorbikes due to my wealthy dad rubbing it in my face (he has about a quadrillion Ducatis, and never once let me ride one) and being the reason I wanted a motorbike was to be like dad.

Back to now, I love bicycles as it was my first passion, apart from inventing (lol) and me and my wife have a pretty cool bike that we love (granted its not an expensive bicycle) with really good suspension, light, and strong. It is a 120 dollar kmart bicycle but it sure doesnt ride like one. We have two of them which we always ride together, and she has a big aftermarket comfy seat for it.
Here is a pic:

I have always had the customizing bug (my first motorcycle as before had this gold body via a gold metallic spray paint and sanding as well as hundreds of other goodness know what custom stuff, even washing machine tubes :-|| i dont know wtf i was doing then lmao) and right now I decided to start a new project I have been wanting to do for ages, and I know it is more important to me than just a project as it will help me be happy and recover from quitting a crappy job which i dont want to talk about.

This is the frame of the project:

(bought for 10bucks off ebay, chromoly)

and My VERY FAVOURITE:

a wheel bought off ebay for 5bucks that I really would like to use as a rear wheel.

The problem is its a front wheel incorrectly listed as a rear, and I have to now convert it. As I am a newbie (as the name implies) I assume that would mean I would have to install hubs that would allow me to use it as a rear wheel. I have been searching for kits from motorized bike stuff to install a sprocket, and so far I have emailed so many people and read so much its not funny. lol. but i am laughing. its good for the spirit or at least for my sanity.

So I hope someone here can help me install a sprocket on the wheel, hopefully two single speed sprockets (one on each side) so I can put a motor on it. I am looking at 4 strokes one and 50cc ones as my state law wont permit one above that cc.

Thats my long story short and I thank you for making it this way if you read it all.

Thanks!

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Welcome to the forum.

Looks like you could put a sprocket on each side of the wheel and bolt them together through the space where the spokes fan out into a 'Y' shape as they come into the hub.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
That's the only way I would see fit, that's what I'm guessing he did rohmell. Made a sandwich with bolts and sprockets...We'll see I hope :)

newbie tryin

Mar 13, 2011
Australia
Hey rohmell & Ls614 !! :)

Thanks for the replies, the the pictures i posted up were pictures from the ebay listing, it wasn't my garage or wall lol.

ive cleaned the bike, and mounted the rear wheel by purchasing a mtb 145mm quick release axle. However i think its mounting by the quick release inner axle (the smaller one) and not the M10 sized axle. which is wierd. And the mounted front mag tire has 10 bearings on each side inside the hub, short of the 11 which will completely fill it up. Is it supposed to be like that?

this is the cost to date:
frame: $10.00
bunch of wheels: $5.00
rear quick release new axle: $15.00
26 inch and bmx inner tube: $10.00
New rear tire (worried about possible asbestos inner lining in old tires): $10.00 its a 1.75 by the way

total cost: $50.00

needs:
possibly a rear deraileur or Bike Chain Tensioner Fixie
chain
square taper crank + fixie cog
front brakes to fit a bmx

and the rear cog which you guess guessed was my solution!

the tube has a bit of a bulge at the point where the valve is, could be from filling in air at the petrol pump station when i used the "fill from flat tire" option because there wasnt any other way... but i did start from a 10 psi reading... went to 18psi and it seemed to much as it developed a bulge...

pics up soon, i promise!! (< 24 hrs)r.ly.

newbie tryin

Mar 13, 2011
Australia
Hey rohmell! :)

ive got it! went for a test run, without the seat (lol) as my wife was going to work. It was awesome! except the bump on the tire (due to inner air tube warping) made it bumpy on every revolution when it hit the bump .duh.

Here is a pic!

rear axle was 145mm but after i told him frame spacing was 140mm i should have known i needed 150mm! as frame spacing is only the inner to inner measurement not the outer!

more detailed pics coming soon, but hope you like the concept behind it :).shft.

newbie tryin

Mar 13, 2011
Australia
Thank you rohmell!

the rear wheel is made of glass-fiber (fibreglass) according to the etch. its also made in japan.

I am thinking the tire is actually a slightly bigger 25" and not a 26" as marked, according to sheldon brown.

Hows your bike going? :)