Chrome Engine???

GoldenMotor.com

sudjim

Jun 8, 2008
Gainesville, FL
If you have some time and about $20, you can buy some 240grit, 400, 800, 1500 grit sandpaper and polish your plates, fins and body to a nice shine. I went up to 2000 grit on the clutch plate and then used Mother's metal polish to get it to here you could see your reflection from a couple of feet away. I think it looks better than the chrome, because it looks more professional. But it sure is a lot of work if you go for perfection. I went for "close enough" but am still happy.
Jim

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
That chrome looks pretty bad, worse than production plating like on a shopping cart. I agree with polishing. It looks so much more professional and unlike chromed aluminum, you can polish out a ding or scratch.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
A chrome engine actually runs hotter... Flat black works the best for transferring the heat from the engine into the air. (That's why old Volkswagen cylinders & tins are flat black!) ;)

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
A chrome engine actually runs hotter... Flat black works the best for transferring the heat from the engine into the air. (That's why old Volkswagen cylinders & tins are flat black!) ;)
thats why i got black ,,, but i may paint the head and fins red ... i can allways go to any color i like ,,chrome is nice ,, but has its '' hold backs''

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
I like the look of polished covers, polished head, black cylinder with polished fins, polished intake tube. Never have to worry about the chrome flaking off (because it will)