Help! After 100 miles engine wont start

GoldenMotor.com

jdmphotography

Mar 7, 2009
Chicago
Hey, thanks for reading. My bike has been working great for at least 100 miles (with a few exceptions) and now it just will not fire up.

One possibility:

There is a chance I put too much oil in the mix because I filled up on the run. I dumped what I think was 4 oz. (though may have been 6 oz) in the tank after filling it up with just shy of a half gallon. I used SuperS universal 2 cycle engine oil MULTI-MIX. This is different than what I normally use. I rode it maybe 1 mile that night and and maybe 4 the next day, and 3 the day after that and it ran really great. I parked it for a couple hours the third day, engine got cold, and then it would not fire up.

A friend of mine told me that maybe I gummed up the engine with too much oil. I drained the tank and replaced it with a proper mix from what I normally use, removed the spark plug and cleaned it, then put one drop of gas mix into the piston (the hole that I pulled the spark plug out of right?)

Still wont start. I dont know what MULTI-MIX means, but is that my problem? Should I take something apart and clean it?

:-||Any bright ideas? The weather just got nice and all I wanna do is ride. Thanks in advance.

unior

Jun 18, 2009
Lancaster, PA
Checking for spark might be difficut since theres no starter but the pedals though... Whats the easiest way? Remove the clutch cover and spin the engine by hand with a 19mm socket I guess? The good thing is a new ngk is only 3 bucks.

jdmphotography

Mar 7, 2009
Chicago
heres the thing though, when I was riding earlier that day I was turning it off and on no problem. It was only when it cooled that it wouldn't start. If it was the spark plug wouldn't it have not worked for me to begin with?

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Hey, thanks for reading. My bike has been working great for at least 100 miles (with a few exceptions) and now it just will not fire up.

One possibility:

There is a chance I put too much oil in the mix because I filled up on the run. I dumped what I think was 4 oz. (though may have been 6 oz) in the tank after filling it up with just shy of a half gallon. I used SuperS universal 2 cycle engine oil MULTI-MIX. This is different than what I normally use. I rode it maybe 1 mile that night and and maybe 4 the next day, and 3 the day after that and it ran really great. .
I have done this. It is called premix for a reason. If you didn't mix the oil with the gas before putting it in the tank it is likely that the oil made it's way to the carb.

I would take the carb apart and drain the tank. Clean all the parts and reassemble it.

brandongordon2002

Apr 26, 2009
stoney creek ontario
Hey guys, the other day i was at petro canada getting gas for my bike, i filled my 5 gallon tank and put a bit of gas into my bikes tank to even off the price, when i got home i poured the oil directly into the tank and shook the bike, the next day i began having some troubles starting the bike, i would have to pedal up to 20hm/h and wait for about 5 seconds then she would fire up, when the engine is hot, it starts a bit better. Once the bike was started it worked perfectly like nothing was wrong accept for the fact that it also would not idle, so i drained the gas, cleaned the carb, and cleaned up the fowled spark plug and it was still giving me troubles starting. Today it took about 20 seconds at 20km/h to start it and once it did it ran fine accept for the idle, when i pulled into tim hortons the bike stalled. I tried to fire it up again and it would not start, ive checked for spark the old fashion way, touching the wire while riding the bike and it defiantly is sparking, it wants to start i think because you hear a bang every couple of seconds. Can anyone help me? Im out of ideas, the weird part is last night i went on a 30km ride with a buddy of mine and it ran the whole time once it was started.

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Sounds like the same problem as the OP, seems likely to be oil not mixing, so sinking to the bottom of the tank, giving the engine too rich a mixture.

Also interesting is the common result that once warm, the engine will restart more easily.

I would have thought dumping the tannk, carb, and cleaning the spark would do the job.

How's this for a wild guess based on arbitrary reasoning -- if the mix is too rich for oil, maybe using too much choke on start up is complicating things, making it too rich for gas:air mix, aswell.

When I have trouble getting her going, I go to half or less than half choke.

Anyone ever use that spray starter fluid on these things?

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
You might disconnect the fuel line from the carb and put it in a glass jar. Turn on the petcock and check the flow. It doesn't have to be alot. Now take off the exhaust pipe and spray carb cleaner in it till it runs out the bottom pretty good. Blow it out with a air hose if you can. Now that your sure you have the right mix drain the carb bowl again, get it started and go for a 10 mile run. Should be ok then. I'm betting the exhaust is goo'd up esp if you have a catalytic converter one.

bigdreamz2000

Oct 8, 2008
Michigan
Checking the spark is easy. Once the plug is out there is no compression so it can be pushed down the driveway. Just push with your right hand in the middle of the handlebars and your left holding the spark anywhere on the top of the motor, clutch engaged of course. That passes, then dump your bowl by unscrewing the two screws holding it on. Then take out your throttle slide and shoot some carb cleaner down your jet in the middle where the tappered pin was at. Finally, take off your fuel line and shoot carb cleaner down the inlet. Put you bowl back on and see how it does.

Last edited: