neigbors call the cops!

GoldenMotor.com

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
so someone in my neighborhood call the cops on me! lol. so i hadnt even been riding my bike yet before the cop showed up (boy was he a typical merced pd **s whole! haha). so i had just recieved some new parts and i was putting them on when i noticed a cop pull up to my house. i step out the garage and say "hello officer what can i do for you?" (im on probation so i'm always on my best behavior around the fuzz lol) he said to me "im gonna need to take a look at ur motorcycle." i said "what motorcycle?" oops big mistake, because he thought i was being a smart ***! he said "then whats that over there" with some attitude. i brought the bike over to him informed him that it wasnt a motorcycle it was a motorized bicycle. this bozo couldnt even find motorized bicycle in his handbook... so i got the cops called on me for riding an illegal vehicle on the street, and also a noise complaint. i explained to him our and he didnt like it one bit.. he lectured me on why it wasnt safe. i said to him, "you know you ride a motorcycle? those arent any safer either." he didnt have much to say about that lol. laff.wee.

so basically this guy was uninformed on these bikes he had to let me go. after i put my bike back together i rode all through my neighborhood for about an hour with the baffle taken out.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
i rode all through my neighborhood for about an hour with the baffle taken out.
...then i expect you'll be getting more visits from the pd.

cops can be real dicks if they decide they don't like you and unless you can afford a lawyer so you can sue, there ain't much you can do except avoid interaction, ...maybe a better plan from jump street.

...antagonizing the neighbor who called the cops on you in the first place is only asking for more of the same.

peace, bozo

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Do yourself and the hobby a favor and muffle the engine. Running with open exhaust is an invitation to unwanted and negative attention that apparently you don't need and it reflects bad on the hobby of motorized bicycles.

Continue to ride as you are and I can guarantee that you'll see that police officer again and he won't be in any better mood than the first time. Be prepared.

Tom

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
I have to agree with the two previous posts. You may have had one issue with one neighbor, riding through your neighborhood like that will only generate more calls from more neighbors.

When I got my Whizzer it was running an open exhaust. It sounded awesome, but reality set in and I muffled it.

Now I get enthusiastic waves from the neighbors.

Genisisonyx29

Jul 8, 2011
Merced California
all of u are correct. I used to run it without the baffle but its been a long time. when the cop came I had been running it with a baffle for quite some time. the cop had also mentioned they got a call about me in the morning too. but I didn't ride that morning to school because it was far too cold. the way I feel about this is that it was unnecessary for my neighbor to call the cops. I would be happy to accommodate them if they have a problem with my bike. if it came down to it, when riding near there house I would hit the kill switch and peddle.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
all of u are correct. I used to run it without the baffle but its been a long time. when the cop came I had been running it with a baffle for quite some time. the cop had also mentioned they got a call about me in the morning too. but I didn't ride that morning to school because it was far too cold. the way I feel about this is that it was unnecessary for my neighbor to call the cops. I would be happy to accommodate them if they have a problem with my bike. if it came down to it, when riding near there house I would hit the kill switch and peddle.
Yes people don't want to work on their problems just call the cops and make it go away hahaha
I have a neighbor 2 doors down from me come over and complain about mine
and I just laughed in his face, but mind you he has a motorcycle living on each side of him and he's complaining to me, go ahead and call the cops. hahaha
my advice find out what your local laws are then carry a printed copy of
the revised statues with you at all times saved me more than once

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
Hey I've had bad neighbors before and it was next door...so I bought yard flamingos and nomes and had them all staring down their house...don't know if they ever got the hint but at least me and some of the other neighbors got some amusement out of them...

I had a run in with the cops on my bike once...they pulled me over for rolling through a stop sign...5 cops showed up as it took an hour to give me that ticket...when they asked how the bike worked I would tell them that you peddle it...I didn't lie...I know they tried to find a way of screwing me but in co if the primary source of power is peddle than it is technically a bike and the engine size is irrelevant.

My advice would be to stay off the cops radar...cops cannot be trusted!!!

Ride fast...take chances!!!

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Jeez, some of you guys gotta expand your horizons and go somewhere, somewhere further than 100 meters!
H*ll, give your parents a call (if you live on your own) see if you can get permission to go visit another street in the neighbourhood!
Going places is fun!
If you are just passin' through nobody is going to call, but if you spend all day ripping up and down the street, neighbours (Hi Diddily Ho Neighbour!) are going to get cheesed off.

I mean really, when I hop on my bike, my neighbourhood is far past me in the rear view mirror.

I'm going places.

Attachments

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Jeez, some of you guys gotta expand your horizons and go somewhere, somewhere further than 100 meters!
H*ll, give your parents a call (if you live on your own) see if you can get permission to go visit another street in the neighbourhood!
Going places is fun!
If you are just passin' through nobody is going to call, but if you spend all day ripping up and down the street, neighbours (Hi Diddily Ho Neighbour!) are going to get cheesed off.

I mean really, when I hop on my bike, my neighbourhood is far past me in the rear view mirror.

I'm going places.
Stupid flanders hahahahahahaha
sorry but I just had to go there

Attachments

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I jut built a 98cc cruiser. As I have been working out the kinks, I would occassionally start and rev the engine when its parked in front of or on the side of the house, to see how its tuned, how it sounds, how it starts, check for fuel flow issues, etc. Got it tuned up good now, but it doesnt seem to bother my neighbors at all (not like i got any other place to do that anyway). And my bike is not the quietest, being a 98cc with the ezm flex pipe exhaust and no muffler/silencer. It has never even occurred to me that someone may be inclined to call the police on me. Its a sad world we live in when people will try to get you in trouble with the law over putting a little engine on a bicycle.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
I got the police called on me once by my as$hole neighbor whom is now in some hole somewhere..

Anyway, the cop actually wanted to BUY the bike from me. :D No ticket here.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I use an electric bike for ripping the neighborhood, which is convenient because if I go fast I don't go very far, lol.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Hey I've had bad neighbors before and it was next door...so I bought yard flamingos and nomes and had them all staring down their house...don't know if they ever got the hint but at least me and some of the other neighbors got some amusement out of them...
Noco, I had to "thank"; brilliant! Back in the '80s, mt bro and his buddies rented a house in an upscale development. They were all in landscaping, so they kept the lawn and such immaculate, but they overburdened the yard with gnomes in various modes of comical situations which included oversized ants and plastic dinosaurs. Thanks for resurrecting a happy memory.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Funny how threads get derailed occasionally with humorous results.

I had some neighbors who had two plywood people in their yard. One was a farmer with his back to you and appeared to be relieveing himself. The other was a farmer's wife, again a back view and she was bent over as if pulling weeds. My neighbors were on vacation and I went over and moved the farmer to stand behind his wife. You'll have to use your imagination to know what that looked like.
I moved them back to their original places the day before my neighbors came home. :)

Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
so someone in my neighborhood call the cops on me! lol. so i hadnt even been riding my bike yet before the cop showed up (boy was he a typical merced pd **s whole! haha). so i had just recieved some new parts and i was putting them on when i noticed a cop pull up to my house. i step out the garage and say "hello officer what can i do for you?" (im on probation so i'm always on my best behavior around the fuzz lol) he said to me "im gonna need to take a look at ur motorcycle." i said "what motorcycle?" oops big mistake, because he thought i was being a smart ***! he said "then whats that over there" with some attitude. i brought the bike over to him informed him that it wasnt a motorcycle it was a motorized bicycle. this bozo couldnt even find motorized bicycle in his handbook... so i got the cops called on me for riding an illegal vehicle on the street, and also a noise complaint. i explained to him our and he didnt like it one bit.. he lectured me on why it wasnt safe. i said to him, "you know you ride a motorcycle? those arent any safer either." he didnt have much to say about that lol. laff.wee.

so basically this guy was uninformed on these bikes he had to let me go. after i put my bike back together i rode all through my neighborhood for about an hour with the baffle taken out.
Since you weren't seen my the cop riding your bike on the street there wasn't much he could do other than talk tough to you.

California has laws for motor bicycles so you better make sure you know what they are and follow them, because I think you'll be needing to pretty soon.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I carry a printout of the law for motorized bicycles along with a copy of my DL permit and regitration, that way if it gets nasty I can be like, "simmer down now there dude, this is legit".

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Since you weren't seen my the cop riding your bike on the street there wasn't much he could do other than talk tough to you.

California has laws for motor bicycles so you better make sure you know what they are and follow them, because I think you'll be needing to pretty soon.
Yeah, your angry neighbours can screw you over way more than you can annoy them.
They will have the last laugh if you keep it up.

Their dialing fingers are really twitching now!

And it's true, that when idiots do things that annoy people, laws are made against the idiots and non-idiots alike. No respect there.
That's what 2door is talking about.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Half of my neighbors are most likely undocumented, they don't call the cops, but I am still respectful of their tolerance of me as I build them for a living from my home shop so me or the help is riding in the neighborhood all the time.

I am the last house on a pretty short (5 or 6 houses) dead end road so everything goes in and out on the same stretch of road.

I have everyone take it easy going out and just make being quiet fun. We hit the street fast and kill the motor and see if we can coast all the way to my house, down the long driveway into the back yard, and then around to the shop door.

A perfect score is never pedaling or using the brake after you kill the motor entering my street and rolling up to a stop at the shop door.
Besides being a fun competition and quite for my neighbors it tells you a lot about the bike drag your motor has to push as well.

My point is simple, nobody likes noise be it a barking dog, blaring music you don't like, heavy equipment and loud motor vehicles around their house, especially when the weather is nice and you have your windows open.

Just make being respectful fun and it is no longer a chore. You might even find you get to meet your neighbors answering questions and even get smiles and waves when you pass by, it has worked well for me and my business ;-}

Last edited: