New Delmar , How to get rear sprocket over coaster brake ?????

GoldenMotor.com

greggasbike

Nov 23, 2010
north carolina
Hello , I have built a few bikes. However this is my first with a coaster brake bike. I am building this for a friend to ride with me. We tried to find a decent bike to start with and the best we could come up with was Schwinn Delmar.

So everything seems to match up fine except mounting the rear sprocket...

How do you get it over the dust cap ?
Can you leave the coaster arm on still ?

Has anyone done this ? and have pics ?

Thanks , any help would be great .... ( and yes I did use the search function, but I have already spent 20mins and still no answer found)

olsmokeybeard

Jun 18, 2011
Portland, ME
i've seen plenty of builds that kept the coaster brake. BUT, i have no idea how. on my cranny i just scrapped the rear rim and bought a new one with higher gauge spokes and a free wheel, and installed a brake on the front instead. funny though that the new rear rim ended up costing me more than the bike itself!! .spr.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
It all depends on the sprocket that came with your kit, I have built or been involved with five bikes with the coaster brakes only had to open up two sprockets one was on a friends delmar. you can leave the dust cover off, thats what I did to my o/p. You will have to remove the arm to install the sprocket, if the arm hits the bolts don't worry you can bend the arm in a vise to get clearence.

greggasbike

Nov 23, 2010
north carolina
yeah , I know it can be done, but before I start grinding on metal , I want to know what to do or NOT to do .....

anyone ...... bueller , bueller ????

greggasbike

Nov 23, 2010
north carolina
It all depends on the sprocket that came with your kit, I have built or been involved with five bikes with the coaster brakes only had to open up two sprockets one was on a friends delmar. you can leave the dust cover off, thats what I did to my o/p. You will have to remove the arm to install the sprocket, if the arm hits the bolts don't worry you can bend the arm in a vise to get clearence.
Thanks , I will check that ....