GT-1/2 vs worksman

GoldenMotor.com

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
after reading terry blows build of a GT-2 it got me thinking, which is a better starting platform for producing these types of bikes?

has anyone worked with both of these?

i have no doubt the grubee GT bikes are easier to motorize, but how good are the bike frames themselves? during the spring and summer i want to build these on the side to make some extra money, and need to choose a good solid platform to build off of, initially i was thinking of using the worksmans because they're built very well and have awesome wheels. but i refuse to use rag joints since they've given me nothing but headaches, so i'd be buying lots of sprocket adapters, driving up the price of the bikes.

right now i see 4 advantages with the GT bikes, they have more brakes then similar price range worksmans, which would only have a rear coaster brake, the GTs have rear coaster and front and rear V-brakes, the other is the rear sprocket on their heavy duty wheels. no rag joint, and don't need sprocket adapters, which saves me money, which saves my potential customers money. but how heavy duty are there wheels? worksman wheels are absolutely fantastic and i have no worries about riding through pot holes on those wheels, can the grubee wheels compare at all?

then theres the forks, from the pictures iv'e seen the GT-1/2 have front suspension, the worksman are solid steel, which while i think they'll no doubt last longer, they won't provide as smooth a ride.

lastly the faster i can produce these the better, the less work i have to put in too these while still making a well put together and safe machine, the more money i make(and i am not saying it's ok too produce a lower quality/unsafe bike just to make more money for myself, just that one is much less labor intensive), GT-1/2s were made specifically to be motorized with these type of motors, so obviously i'm not going to have to do any mods like i had to do with my worksman.

on paper for me these grubee bikes are the better choice, but never actually working with one i don't know any of the downsides to them, the main concerns are the wheels and the frame quality. i have a feeling i could go at my worksman frame for an hour with a hammer and the weld would still be pretty solid, i'd like to think the GTs can hold up to the vibrations since they were designed for it but again, i have no experience with them.

anyone care to share there knowledge/experience with me about the ups and downs of these bikes in comparison to each other?

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
A gt2 bike shipped was about 400 clams !! when I last looked. add a motor kit 125 little bit of this and that another conservative 75 thats almost 6 beans in not including labor/mark-up.. There only a couple Respectable (not selling the cheapest bike with the cheapest kit) guys I know that are making any money selling these bikes... but hey Im one guy trying to figure a way myself. Then the liability.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
A gt2 bike shipped was about 400 clams !! when I last looked. add a motor kit 125 little bit of this and that another conservative 75 thats almost 6 beans in not including labor/mark-up.. There only a couple Respectable (not selling the cheapest bike with the cheapest kit) guys I know that are making any money selling these bikes... but hey Im one guy trying to figure a way myself. Then the liability.
if i put em together for $600 i think i'll be able to make 300-400 on the labor tbh.

gas prices going through the roof will make $900-$1,000 seem like a good investment, back in 2008 when gas was $4 a gallon in the summer scooters were being sold for $2,000 or so n flying off the lots.

sure others may try to do the same thing and do it for less, but again that would be with cheap bikes and cheap motors, i wouldn't want to sell something i wouldn't want to ride myself.

liability is the only thing to really be concerned with but i'll figure something out before i start building em for people.

Sideshowbob

Dec 26, 2010
Salem OR
The guy from Canada that advertises on here at "blow by you" bikes has these and will ship with motor kits. I think he has the cheapest prices I've seen, cheaper that the victory guys in AZ. I noticed the the GT2 tank is only a liter (just about useless) So I think the GT1's with a standard tank that holds more (3L) would be the way to go. Even the standard tanks are to small for me. I like these frames but they need a fatter tank (which I think they have designed and are putting on their newest aluminum frames) I am not sure I would trust an aluminum frame bike with a motor, I think the old steel ones flex better and can handle the vibrations better than a beer can bike frame. I want someone to make bigger bolt on tanks In frame, under, over I dont care but a gallon or 2 to ride on would be nice. I found a peanut Harley tank at 2.2 gallons 7x9x16 for $199 but thats steep so unless I start fabbing up my own I'm out'a luck for now. You will never make money trying to build and sell them, even my friends that make $3000 custom frames just do it cuz they love to, and someone always comes along that wants to buy whatever they make, so build what you love and if someone buys it as art or because they love your craftsmanship then you will make some profit. You'd be working for $3 bucks a day like the chinese that make these motors trying to assemlbe a bunch and sell. And you better make up a pretty bomb proof liability waiver/ sales reciept.dance1

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
didn't realize the Gt-1/2 were aluminum, if that's the case its really leaning more towards the worksman.

also i think boygofast sometimes sells 1 gallon tear drop tanks on his ebay page.

i'm positive they're out there.

Sideshowbob

Dec 26, 2010
Salem OR
No the GT1 &2 frames on sale now are steel, but they factory in china is already advertising the next generation and those will be aluminum. I was also wrong on gt1 and 2 frame deals, the Freedom bike guys in AZ are now offering them for $325 which is cheaper that the guy at blow by you in Canada. Sorry about that I am glad to see some competitive sales going on from dealers, when I first saw these they wanted $500 now they are donw to $325.

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
The drum brake that comes with the HD hub are not safe. they will not stop the bike!! I was very unhappy to find this on my friends bike. luckily it also has v brakes in the back and are sufficient. the suspension forks are kind of cheesy and if you sand with the wheel between your legs, you can turn the handlebars and see flex. Also the handle bar stem is unsafe according to usa bike motors in tucson. When my friend bought the bike, they wouldn't let him leave with it unless they replaced it. They also replaced the fuel tank cap that was also crap. If you want a frame with a integrated tank this is your only option. otherwise you will spend a lot of time making your own.