Requisite New Guy Thread

GoldenMotor.com

Oysterville

Apr 20, 2010
Ocean Park, WA
I've been batting around the idea of a motorized bicycle for a few months now, and am just about to pull the trigger on a 4 cycle kit. I was originally enamored with the 2 cycles (my grandmother's stinginess in me), but as this will be my method for going to work 30 miles round trip the all-over-the-board reliability and quality control of those 2 cycles from China have sufficiently scared me off from those.

Current plan is a ThatsDax kit or similar (looking for best bang for the buck) on the most stable ride possible. I live in the Pacific Northwest, so I have concerns about friction drive and loss of power from slippage being an issue. The kid in me begs for a shift kit to help go faster, but the survival instinct is balking at that idea. Really no hills to speak of. Just long straightaways and lots of Q-Tips behind the wheel.

Thanks for the forum! I look forward to learning.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Well I took my two stroke to work today granted is only about 10 miles round trip, but I threw a tool bag in my pack just in case, even if it does break down, nothing I can't fix in five minutes with the right tools or I could just pedal..... My buddy has a four stroke honda and he is actually thinking about switching to a two stroke china girl, I question his sanity but he thinks the two strokes are "more fun".

Oysterville

Apr 20, 2010
Ocean Park, WA
Thanks for the welcome, fairraicing31. I'm an admin on a rather busy discussion forum, so it's nice to see a mod toting the welcome wagon.

As for fixing the 2 stroke myself, I'm sure that I'd get to that point eventually. Maybe getting one of those and then doing a tear-down as I saw elsewhere to get rid of any impurities and whatnot would help me get there. However, the last thing I wanna be doing is playing mechanic at 6:30 in the morning when I should be tootling to work.

The other thing which worries me about the twos is noise. I really don't wanna torque the neighborhood with my bike sounding like an angry bee in a tin can. Those fours see to be quite a bit more subdued than the twos, sound-wise.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
As Joe, aka The Godfather of Motorized bicycles pointed out the Titan from ThatsDax is a excellent choice. I have heard nothing but good reviews and it is chain drive but you may also run them as friction drive. And he offers a 50 and 35 motor which is perfect for places where there is a cc's limit.

Oysterville

Apr 20, 2010
Ocean Park, WA
Fifty is the maximum for it to be a moped in the state of Washington, so I'm golden there. However, the only real difference that I can see in law between 50cc and 51cc is requiring a motorcycle endorsement and having it insured. Pretty minor, really, considering I'll have to get mirrors, full lights and blinkers, and both title and register the bike. The last part I'm really not looking forward to, but if that's what it takes then so be it.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Fifty is the maximum for it to be a moped in the state of Washington, so I'm golden there. However, the only real difference that I can see in law between 50cc and 51cc is requiring a motorcycle endorsement and having it insured. Pretty minor, really, considering I'll have to get mirrors, full lights and blinkers, and both title and register the bike. The last part I'm really not looking forward to, but if that's what it takes then so be it.
The true size of the Titan 50 is 48.8cc, so your good to go.

cvlt1

Oysterville

Apr 20, 2010
Ocean Park, WA
The waiting begins. I pulled the trigger on the 50cc four stroke Titan over at ThatsDax last night, and I found a couple bikes on craigslist last night that show promise. Waiting for an email on those.

Now I need to go research a full lighting setup and buy that along with mirrors, then off to the big city for a helmet. According to Grady at ThatsDax the lead time on the engine kits is 5 business days, so add shipping time and I've got two weeks of wait time ahead of me. Painful for those types such as myself that make a decision and want results NOW.