Easy perf. Upgrades....

GoldenMotor.com

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
WOW,I just got done porting my cyl. , Int, Exh. and the exchange ports.....Nothing too drastic but they are ALL matched up....I just got back from a test ride and now I am over powering the clutch if I get on the throttle too fast......But the motor sounds a lot different, idles sweet, sorta like it`s got a cam in it.....I though I had an exhaust leak so I cut the test ride short but come to find out it was just the motor sounding/running different.....Just a different exh. tone now.....
Oh well, nothing special, no measuring tools, just matching up all the holes......

skipu

Aug 6, 2008
New jersey
ive had excellent results just cleaning them up and matching i too over power my cltch especially on my jackshaft bikes

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
is there a step by step sticky somewhere that goes into great detail on port matching? One with photos and instructions would be awesome. I'm too inexperienced and too poor to mess with an engine without very good direction. I know its probably a dumb question and I'm sure someone will provide a very sarcastic response but I don't care as long there is at least one good answer to the question, lol. :)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Yeah... tho it's not a sticky and I'm still workin' on it (I dropped my camera into the quenching bucket yesterday 'cause Ima clumsy tool), but if yer curious you can check it here: http://motorbicycling.com/f13/porting-time-fer-teh-lolz-16646.html

It's a really basic tut primarily focusing on cleaning out the casting flash and matching the stock intake & exhaust manifolds to their ports, a very simple procedure really once yer familiar with what's entailed... "stay tuned" for updates as my camera dries out ;)

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Then there`s the exchange ports under the cyl. that can be opened up and smoothed out before you put the cyl. on the motor....You do have to go out and get a Demel tool of some kind and some small grinding stone of such.....

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It's odd stuartracing - but for some reason the castings on the base seem to always be far better than the cylinder... *shrug* I've not felt it necessary to mess with the case castings and focus on just cleanin' up the cyl & manifolds, tho sometimes the base gasket will overlap a bit and should be trimmed.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
It's odd stuartracing - but for some reason the castings on the base seem to always be far better than the cylinder... *shrug* I've not felt it necessary to mess with the case castings and focus on just cleanin' up the cyl & manifolds, tho sometimes the base gasket will overlap a bit and should be trimmed.
I hear ya....I have NEVER messed with the bottom end ports, just the cyl. exchange ports and int. plus the exh. too.....Just those 4 area`s seems to do the best as far as perf. of the motor.....**** even if ya just gasket match will make a BIG difference if you ask me.....I did/do notch the piston on the intake side too, (if needed) to time the piston to the port.....
See ya,
Paul.....dnut