After porting results.. :S

GoldenMotor.com

NerpAngel

Sep 28, 2009
Ellensburg,WA
I just ported my exhaust and intake today, (pretty sure I ported them right.... i'll take pictures later to show what I did..) and when I first rode it to see if any performance was effected I got worried. When I was accelerated everything seemed fine. So I figured I should WOT and see what happens!! Well.. it seemed to bog when I went WOT. didn't matter if I was 1/4 throttle, 1/2 throttle, or even 3/4 throttle, whenever I WOT'ed it bogged. If I accelerated very very very slowly though it wouldn't bog and my speed was 3 or 4 more mph than before!! So I tried cleaning out the carb because maybe that was why it was bogging. I couldn't find anything in the carb so I put it back together but now it doesn't bog at WOT, so.. I'm not sure what I did. haha

Also, before I ported my max speed was probably 24 mph (I weigh only 135) and after porting my speedo says I maxed at 28mph. BUT after "cleaning" my carb, it's back to like 25mph...

On my last test sprint, I realized if I accelerate really really slowly I can get a better mph and higher RPM's instead of going WOT in a second or two. Any reason behind this?

Btw, my engine is basically broken in and I'm running a 28:1 oil mix and I've got my e clip at the second notch down. spark plug is dark brown/ blackish.

NerpAngel

Sep 28, 2009
Ellensburg,WA
I just clamped the carb to the manifold. Just the stock screw and bolt deal on the top. And I just made my own gasket for porting. I first made sure my gasket fit the engine port perfectly then I used the gasket as a template to port my manifolds. So.. I think i ported correctly.. I'll post pics here in a min on what my ports look like now. I did no porting to the head btw. Do you also have to port the engine head?...

NerpAngel

Sep 28, 2009
Ellensburg,WA
Ok here are some pictures of my... "beginner" porting. I know some of these look rough, but it IS a very smooth wall on both :)
there's a pic of the gasket material I used also. I basically had to pry it off when I took this picture, that's why my manifolds look nasty.
I can post more pictures if you guys need some.

So... after I did this to my manifolds... I didn't experience much of an increase in performance.. do I ALSO have to port the head ports larger?.... (These match the head ports right now by the way)

Attachments

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Technically you didn't port your engine. You just opened you manifolds up a bit. Definitely should help a little though. I wouldn't do any more grinding until after you get an expansion chamber.

Did you use any manifold gasket goop on your intake? That helps. Plus you should use silicone and a o-ring on the intake carb side (some leak worse than others.) IMHE - the better the intake is sealed the better these leetle pigs run.

NerpAngel

Sep 28, 2009
Ellensburg,WA
So.. porting my engine means opening up those holes on the head huh? I don't think I'm capable of that.. Think there are any services that will port for me? :) hahaha

No i didn't use any goop. Does it help it from my gasket sticking to my manifolds?

And do you mean use silicone AND an o-ring between the carb and the manifold?

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
So.. porting my engine means opening up those holes on the head huh? I don't think I'm capable of that.. Think there are any services that will port for me? :) hahaha

No i didn't use any goop. Does it help it from my gasket sticking to my manifolds?

And do you mean use silicone AND an o-ring between the carb and the manifold?
Maybe.

It will form a seal, but you can peel it off.

Yes, sometimes even with a thin o-ring there can be a slit opening at the lousy clamp.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I believe what Venice is talking about is tuning your carb. Anytime you change anything related to fuel and air, like you did with your intake and exhaust manifolds, or adding a tuned pipe, to get proper performance you must readjust your carb. This can be as simple as moving the clip on your needle to changing jets. Only reading your plug will tell you what your engine needs as far as changing your fuel/air ratio.

NerpAngel

Sep 28, 2009
Ellensburg,WA
Ok thanks Ghost.

just got one of your air filters btw, can't wait :)

I'll go and try to search for a thread about tuning the stock carb.
I think I've seen a lot of people using the stock carb because it performs very well don't you think?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yes, sometimes even with a thin o-ring there can be a slit opening at the lousy clamp.
I have had good results by sanding the carb throat down on my belt sander so the manifold side/slots are shorter and the carb will slide on enough to cover them without an O ring. It depends on the type of manifold you have.