helmet question

GoldenMotor.com

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Had not ever tested my head on the pavement yet! I am darn glad too! LOL As a mechanic at over six foot tall , its been tested! More than I like to explain!

Echotraveler

Aug 25, 2008
wearing a helmet is always a good idea....but i will never wear a bicycle helmet they look so geeky...so i bought a jet fighter helmet DOT lol

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have a full dot motorcycle helmet my kids gave me before the bike was even finished. Then after a while I switched to a bike helmet because it was summer time in the city.

Then I switched to an ebike. Here they don't require a helmet with an ebike. At least for adults I think. I haven't been wearing a helmet with it. I should wear one and I plan to start wearing one tomorrow. Of course I have said that for a couple of months now.

I wonder if I plead that the bike isn't motorized, it's just the trailer that is, can I beat a ticket.

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
I'm going to get a nice helmet from a motorcycle shop, I see people on harleys all the time with good looking ones.

Norco John

May 26, 2009
Brookston, IN
Check to see what standard California requires. They should be able to tell you if they require DOT, Snell Foundation, whatever.
If they require a DOT motorcycle helmet, a bike helmet won't cut it, and you'd better believe any cop who'd jack you up for your skid-lid knows the difference.
( I was going to cite the obsolete ANSI Z90.1. That tells us how long it's been since i bought a motorcycle helmet...)

MikeJ

May 3, 2009
Colorado Springs
I am a strong advocate of putting on the best head helmet before you start your first ride. Your future income far outweighs the puny cost of the best helmets; don't go cheap here. My lady friend crashed in her first mile. Her helmet saved her from serious injury.

I may look goofy in my full coverage $128 motorcycle helmet, bright yellow jacket, and whatever else. But I am not into pain and becoming an invalid.

My thought: I want 4-wheel cagers to know I am serious about getting home in one piece at the end of my ride.

Read and learn; there is a lot of experience here!
MikeJ

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I am a strong advocate of putting on the best head helmet before you start your first ride. Your future income far outweighs the puny cost of the best helmets; don't go cheap here. My lady friend crashed in her first mile. Her helmet saved her from serious injury.

I may look goofy in my full coverage $128 motorcycle helmet, bright yellow jacket, and whatever else. But I am not into pain and becoming an invalid.

My thought: I want 4-wheel cagers to know I am serious about getting home in one piece at the end of my ride.

Read and learn; there is a lot of experience here!
MikeJ
Is good advise. Thanks Mike. I have been thinking of getting knee and elbow pads as well. Is just more fun to ride when you feel protected. Our families need us and I am already selfish enough. What got me thinking about pads was as the Tshirt weather came around, I noticed I felt less safe with out winter gear on. Is not my first summer on a MB. Maybe I am getting old, snork.

MikeJ

May 3, 2009
Colorado Springs
Hi Dan -

Pads... Great idea! I was reading last night how many guys have bone chips lost from their elbows and knees. Some guys did so years ago and still feel joint pain at times. I'm thinking they may fit under loosly fitting jacket sleeves and pant legs. I will have to look for the pads at the sporting goods store. Better still, I will just ask a salesman to point me towards them. Thanks for the tip!

MikeJ

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
For California:

DOT approved motorcycle helmet – motor driven cycles and motorcycles (some exceptions for enclosed trikes).

DOT approved motorcycle helmet – 30mph gas powered motorized bicycle or moped

Bicycle helmet – 20mph electric bicycle

Bicycle helmet – gas powered or electric “scooter’ (goped type), 15mph plus other restrictions

Bicycle helmet – minor on bicycle

No helmet required – adult on bicycle

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
Full helmets are the most protection, motorcycles or bikes. I don't want my chin, teeth, jaw or face broken. 25 mph is plenty fast enough on a mb for serious injury. You can get a composit helmet for less than $100. How much is any part of your head worth. Trust someone who has crashed.

PatMcLJr

Jun 21, 2009
earth
I would say always wear a helmet when you ride. You're a human, not made of steel, cement, asphalt, wood, rocks, or whatever else comes flying at you while you're on any moving object on road or off. I also highly recommend good eye protection, then boots, then gloves, then your knee pads and elbow pads. Jen, is that for a girl? How attractive would you feel with huge scars all over your face? FULL FACE HELMET

From experience, asphalt will shred your skin off like a cheese grater. I have had big dings in my helmet, my head would have never taken a hit like those.

Even with all that and being safe and cautious and wearing your gear, you are still at risk for serious injury. The best motorcyclist I ever met was put in a wheelchair when someone smashed into him while he was stopped at a red light. My friend used to say "You play, You pay"

But what are you going to do, live in bubble?

Best of Luck,
Pat Jr.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
God loves you and I am trying. (Is 2 funny!) wear it, strap it on. Just do me a favor. I care as many do. Do not make the news thread. We and your friends and family need you. We can not make fun of you if you die or become some one who needs to be spoon fed. Is not a big deal, it is just our brains. Wear a helmet.

Last edited:

Emerica

Feb 1, 2008
I use this in gloss black
Welcome to Fuel Helmets

I used a bike helmet for the first few months. Got treated like a cyclist. The day I put on this helmet, drivers took much more care around me. Almost night and day difference in traffic treatment.

The choice in helmet is large but I wanted to have full face protection as well as a visor to cut out the wind, dust from larger trucks and bugs. With normal full helmets you have a hard time doing anything with your mouth without taking the helmet off, mainly drinking. So modular helmet was the way for me to go. Couldn't be happier.

Seanik

Nov 10, 2008
Erie Pa
I crashed last year, broke my ankle,road rash and cracked the outer shell of my helmet. The helmet saved me from some serious head injuries. The brain bucket is always applied before I start my bike trips. It gauls me that here In Pa, you can get a 10.00 fine or higher for not wearing a seatbelt but under the law, adult motorcycle or bicycle riders don't have to wear helmets.

Ride Safe,
Seanik

MikeJ

May 3, 2009
Colorado Springs
I have to agree with Emerica. I have a Bell helmet, pull down windscreen, no chin brace. It is almost-white (Pearl). With the brightest yellow cyclist jacket I can find, I hope to stick out like a sore thumb to those cagers. Put on another 22 miles today without problems of any kind. Total = 48 mi.