Getting excited pre-spend my tax return.

GoldenMotor.com

motorstumpy

Oct 17, 2013
Hollywood
So I have found some new parts for my up coming build and it is getting me pretty psyched.

First on the list is a brake larger with a on integrated brake light switch.

http://www.electricscooterparts.com/levers.html

I like the four finger one about half way down. I will connect it to...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...&subdeptNum=50573&classNum=50578#.UsJkaX-9KSM

Also from west marine I will use a set of the following as head lights. One attached to each arm of the fork (probably with cable ties).

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...&subdeptNum=50580&classNum=50585#.UsJlD3-9KSM

As I work for west marine my discount is amazing on stuff like this so it ends up being less the $40 for all the light out the door.

Still looking for a good 12v source and would love some advice on the subject. Like where and how to house a small gam battery. I saw a battery at pep boys for like $25 bucks that I think will fit the bill but still would like to see some of your solutions.

Th bike will white and black from the factory (a pure fix Romeo) so I will paint the cylinder and block black. Clutch magneto covers will be white and the head will be red. The tank will also be re-painted white and have red stripe or some thing.

The only thing I am really worried about id the crank arms on the bike are exactly 5.5 inches apart at the pedals (I took a measuring tape to the LBS). As far as I know the china girl engines are 5.5 inches wide.
I have thought about grinding on the cranks so that it won't interfere but I would be way happier with heating and bending them to give 1/4-1/2 inch clearance on each side. I have seen this on many steel one piece cranks here but has anyone ever done this to an alloy 3 piece crank? If so HELP!

The only other thing I saw at the LBS that gave cause for concern is the rear sprocket clearance on the chain stay. But I figure that is an easy fix with a 40 or 38 tooth rear sprocket. I could mod the stock 44 but it would require dishing it in and would throw off the chain alignment...

Thoughts, feedback, etc welcome, wanted and appreciated.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Nice lights, the brake lever w/switch is a good idea.

For power, you could make a battery box to tuck one or two 12V SLA (sealed lead-acid) into. Just make sure you leave access to be able to put the battery on charge without having to pull it all apart.

I haven't had any luck bending cranks, myself (only tried once, seemed like it wasn't going anywhere), I have ground a little off the back of each crank arm a couple of times to get the clearance needed. Another option to consider is if you can mount the motor a bit higher in the frame, so it is clear of the cranks to begin with. Off the top I don't know the frame you are working with, so I don't know if that's an option for you but it's something to consider.

motorstumpy

Oct 17, 2013
Hollywood
Nice lights, the brake lever w/switch is a good idea.

For power, you could make a battery box to tuck one or two 12V SLA (sealed lead-acid) into. Just make sure you leave access to be able to put the battery on charge without having to pull it all apart.

I haven't had any luck bending cranks, myself (only tried once, seemed like it wasn't going anywhere), I have ground a little off the back of each crank arm a couple of times to get the clearance needed. Another option to consider is if you can mount the motor a bit higher in the frame, so it is clear of the cranks to begin with. Off the top I don't know the frame you are working with, so I don't know if that's an option for you but it's something to consider.
I had an idea this afternoon that I could just use a standard bike tail light and re wire the switch to the on in the lever... Could work, but then I got to find a power source for the head lights... Idk too many options... I'll probably stick with the original plan but for those who don't need/want HUGE head lights it would be a great option.

Here is a link to the frame
http://purefixcycles.com/collections/standard-fixies/products/white-fixie-the-romeo
So yes the frame should have plenty of room to move engine up... But I want to try and keep all the weight as low as possible.

Did u ever try heating the cranks?

Good to see u r from Van. I was born there but moved when I was very young. GO CANADA!dnut

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Nice big open frame, I like it.
I tried heat, but my little home-use torch wasn't much use on thicker material of the crank arms, combined with poor set-up. I couldn't secure the piece well enough to get good leverage on it at the time. I ended up taking about 1/16th off the inside at the pedal end of each crank arm instead.

motorstumpy

Oct 17, 2013
Hollywood
Nice big open frame, I like it.
I tried heat, but my little home-use torch wasn't much use on thicker material of the crank arms, combined with poor set-up. I couldn't secure the piece well enough to get good leverage on it at the time. I ended up taking about 1/16th off the inside at the pedal end of each crank arm instead.
copy that!

i've got a map gas torch... i hope it will get hot enough. i am going to thread and old pair of pedals in to them and then bolt the crank (at the bb interface so i dont bend parts i dont want to bend) to a board or something then torque it like crazy with a big ole cheater bar on the pedal. i will have to do it twice on each to put a s bend so. at least thats the plan... we will see some tax rtn time!!!
dnut

motorstumpy

Oct 17, 2013
Hollywood
Check this out http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=35923 Maybe help.............Curt
Thanks for that! The more I think about it the more I think I may want to try to shave the crank first... Too bad I don't have a magic wand...

Or really the easiest is to move the motor, but I believe that form and function must be one and it does get in the way some times...

Guess I will just have to buy and mock up.

Lucky I got a reward check from the credit card folks so mock up maybe happening sooner then I thought!

A very happy new year indeed.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
copy that!

i've got a map gas torch... i hope it will get hot enough. i am going to thread and old pair of pedals in to them and then bolt the crank (at the bb interface so i dont bend parts i dont want to bend) to a board or something then torque it like crazy with a big ole cheater bar on the pedal. i will have to do it twice on each to put a s bend so. at least thats the plan... we will see some tax rtn time!!!
dnut
I had the crank firmly bolted to a board, and a 6' long fence post type pipe to work with, but all it got me was frustrated so I chucked the grinder into my drill and went that way instead. The thing I dislike about changing out to a wide crank set is the loss of pedal gearing, going from 3 to only 1 sprocket.

curtisfox: Thanks for the link.

motorstumpy

Oct 17, 2013
Hollywood
I had the crank firmly bolted to a board, and a 6' long fence post type pipe to work with, but all it got me was frustrated so I chucked the grinder into my drill and went that way instead. The thing I dislike about changing out to a wide crank set is the loss of pedal gearing, going from 3 to only 1 sprocket.

curtisfox: Thanks for the link.
yeah i won't have to worry about that as the bicycle is a single speed to start with.

hopefully i will pick up bike and motor this sunday or monday. so we should know soon. however i am supposed to plan a wedding as well so who knows.