Motor mount; Clamp vs Welding

GoldenMotor.com

Big Bill

Jun 3, 2011
arizona
I am starting a new build so I need to decide weather to weld or clamp the
motor mounts to the frame , My Schwinn lasted about 5K miles
before the frame broke right above the weld the people who have seen
the frame said it looks like it got to hot when it was welded.

The new frame is a Dyno Glide using a jackshaft dive system that looks like
AGKs set up ( I made all the machined parts and bought the gears and clutch from AGK ). The cylinder will be standing up .

Thanks for the help Bill

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Welding makes for a much easier and more stable mounting, however the problem is that you need to make absolutely sure the motor mount is where you want it and positioned level before you weld it, or you're kinda screwed. I thought about welding my motor mount, but in the end opted to clamp. I fashioned a 3rd motor mount out of a kit tensioner bracket. I put it in a vise and hit it with a hammer to bend it to the angle I wanted, bolted one end to my frame and the other end to my jackshaft. I also had to cut shims for the motor mount clamps because I have a skinny frame. Cut the shims out of an already damaged bike frame. But if you can position the motor mount properly before welding, that seems to be the way to go.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I prefer to make steel mounts to bolt the engines on whenever possible! ;)

Every now & then a frame will crack right beside the new weld from the engines vibrations. :(

Mattjb

Mar 21, 2013
San dimas
Majority of bike frames are thin (16g-18g) maybe less. Any undercut caused by welding not only makes a thin piece of metal thinner but also creates a point in the metal. I forgot technical term. Think of it this way, unfold a paper clip and in the center create a notch or indentation, now grab both sides of said paper clip and bend back and forth. It'll break where the notch was. Same thing will happen on your frame. Can it be welded? Sure. I'd go with a clamping method of some kind though unless ya have a heavy walled (thick tubing) frame. Just my 2cents

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Welding can weaken an already built production frame. If you're building a frame from the ground up, by all means incorporate the engine mount as part of the frame......you'ld be mad if ya didn't.

Clamping works just fine and can be as strong, if not stronger. Here's the way I did mine in a Dyno-Glide frame with the engine mounted up-right as you are going to do.......

Just a little food for thought for ya.

Big Bill

Jun 3, 2011
arizona
Thanks for the replies guys.

Well it looks like I will be clamping the motor in the frame.
I found Scott-o's and CCC's builds the other day and all I can say
is WOW!! nice job. I will start a build tread this week end.

Thanks again Bill

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's another alternative that I came up with... I welded some 1/2 pipes to the ends of a kit 4-stroke mount to make a super solid engine mount for a 99cc Predator engine on a aluminum Felt frame.

The engine is already rock solid before even securing it to the frame, & the design of the two 1/2 pipes helps protect the aluminum frame from damage from the engine vibrations! (^)

Attachments

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Here's another alternative that I came up with... I welded some 1/2 pipes to the ends of a kit 4-stroke mount to make a super solid engine mount for a 99cc Predator engine on a aluminum Felt frame.

The engine is already rock solid before even securing it to the frame, & the design of the two 1/2 pipes helps protect the aluminum frame from damage from the engine vibrations! (^)
I like it Norm, very nice and the engine sits in the slanted position (^) Funny cuz I'm doing something similar for one of my sons bikes using the 79cc HF.

.wee.

Big Bill

Jun 3, 2011
arizona
Venice Bikes Nice Job !!

Now that has got to be one strong Mount
It looks like you can use a few hose clamps and let it rip.
I just picked up Lincoln 140 HD welder a few months, but my welding
skills are still a little rough. Your mount is giving me some good
idea's.

Thanks Bill