Welder

GoldenMotor.com

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Well I got my Microwave transformers pulled out, and the secondary coils removed, now I just need to re wind the secondarys and strike it up, maybe by this weekend I will blow myself up or actually lay a bead.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
The welder should be fairly straight forward, but there is also rumors of making an "EMP" gun with the microwave magnatron, After the welder I may have to look into that, mount an EMP canon on my MB and take out inconsiderate motorists. Isn't the internet a wonderful thing?

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Okay the DIY welder is coming along, I almost have the first transformer ready to test. I have to say though this project is for those of us that have more time than money, because I think if I paid myself minimum wage it would have been cheaper just to buy a cheap welder from the start. But like most of my questionable projects, I am at the stage of doing it to prove it can be done. The theory is sound, and I have a few nay sayers, not including those who have chimed in on the forum. I even have a lead on some "free" welding/safety supplies so this project might come together sooner than later.

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The only real thing I don't like about ARC welding is chipping the slag and when the stick sticks. Silver solder and brazing are good for most bike projects if you don't own a MIG or TIG set-up. I do a lot of ugly oxy-acetelene, most of the timelaff

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
DIY welders from microwaves

Build a Microwave Transformer Homemade Stick/Arc Welder

The DIY Microwave Welder | DO IT: Projects, Plans and How-tos

home and backyard metalcasting

Homebuilt arc welder*-*www.dansworkshop.com

Not sure what your 'prooving' their ferball ain't anything new LoL..

All the best with it anywayz...

KiM
I know I am re inventing the wheel here, not proving anything to the rest of the kooks who are into strange things like motor bikes, but my brother who is a little to practical needs an "I told you so" from me now and again to remind him that imagination and crazy thinking is not all bad..weld

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Right on, that sounds like a cool project, if you survive post pics/vid :D

When I was 10, I got zapped good when I was helping my dad build a boat trailer. He said "hand me the one with the stick" and me being 10 thought "I'll bring him the other one too", to help, lol. Luckily the ol Lincoln was only set @140amp -but it still took me a minute before I could get a scream out 'cause the juice had locked my arms and most of my chest. Once I'd Yelped he ran over and shut it down, but I could still feel the effects of the juice a month after. I guess I'm lucky, because earlier in the day it was on full 220amp for cutting through spindles. If I'd grabbed them then, I'd be dead, lol.

Ever since that day, he's always used insulated grips... You should too.

Good luck, and don't kill yourself man, we need those pics :p

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Here is an update and hopefully some math/concept checks from those on here that know more than me, which would be most of you.

I got the first of the two transformers done. The plans called for 20 wraps of 10 gauge wire I got 17 wraps of 12 gauge wire. Plugged it in and nothing blew up, so I checked the voltage out. I got about 15 volts out which is in line with 1 volt per wind theory on Microwave Transformer. I say about because I only have a cheap analog voltmeter.

Concept check: 12 gauge instead of 10 gauge should be fine except that 12 gauge will heat up faster thus reducing my duty cycle.

Math check: According to the label on the Microwave it was an 8.5 amp draw. So total watts is 120 x 8.5 =1020. So with my rewrapped secondary I get my amps out as 1020/15 = 68 amps

Now assuming that I can get the same output from my second transformer if I wire the primary coils in parallell and the secondaries in series than I add the volt and the amps remain the same. So my final output should be a welder that runs about 68 amps at 30 volts. According to the chart for 6013 electrodes for general welding, and recommended by atomic zombie welding tutorial a 6013 for light work should work just fine at 68 amps. and 30 volts may be on the light side but doable as well.

Any and all comments and additional insight is much appreciated. Another thought I had but I have doubts about is adding a dimmer switch to the primary coil inside to make it adjustable voltage. But I read that a light dimmer won't work with an inductance load. Is this because it will not maintain a steady voltage and may allow mild fluctuations, which is no problem for my frankenstien, or will just not work and if that is the case what would work to add voltage some sort of power adjustment?

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I got it done now I need to scrounge up some safety equipment, and some rods to test 'er out. I also need to get some jumper cables to use for grounding and electrode.

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Find some 7014 rod its the same as 6013 except its a contact rod you just hold it to the metal and go. I use to use 1/16 th rod you can weld exaust pipe with it. Might have to go to a welding supply to get it.........Curt

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
I got it done now I need to scrounge up some safety equipment, and some rods to test 'er out. I also need to get some jumper cables to use for grounding and electrode.
If you could of somehow rigged it to weld AND heat you lunch it would be original :p Seriously though, Well done mate, i wish you well with your initial tests and hope your brother learns a lil something from the 'lesson' your teaching him about resourcefulness ;-) Kudos to you mate :)

KiM

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Well it made some sparks and left some burnt spots on an old brake rotor, I was using some 6013 did not get a bead down, but I only had a few minutes to mess with it. The box I have said 25 - 40amps for the 6013, I calculated that I am running 65 to 70 amps, will this make getting a decent bead harder? or just more spatter?

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I added some nice clamps to my rig, (the wife does not know she is missing her jumper cables yet) and spent about 45 minutes trying to weld a nut to a piece of EMT. I need some bigger rods to get a decent bead, but there is plenty of juice as I could see burn marks on the inside of the EMT, and when I stuck the rod it turned red if I did not get it unstuck quickly.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Update on my death trap (the welder, not the bike). Melted one of my coils when my rod stuck, rewrapped and it works fine, added a fan for cooling, and no problems ....yet.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Lets face it there are some people that are better grinders than welders and in my opinion I fall headfirst into that category. Not to say I can't stick 2 pieces of metal together, I can lay down a decent bead most of the time but to my eye (having had a father that could weld anything and almost not need to smooth it) I suck at finish welds.