Rag Joint Issue

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I have used a rag joint on a couple of builds but never kept the bikes long enough to know so I'm askin those who have ran more miles is there a problem using only the inside part of the rag joint to get away from the wobble issue? It makes the sprocket ride on the base of the hub instead of sorta floating between the 2 rubber gasket rags? I've heard it will rub & break spokes so I did keep a close eye on it when I did it I doubt I ever put over 500 miles on either build.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
If you mean running the rubber only on the inside of the spokes and not the outside, it will work fine as long as you have strong spokes. I ran with only the one rag for 3 years on the same wheel with no issues. It does put some extra stress on the spokes, but if you have strong steel 12g spokes it will hold up just fine. The obvious alternative to resolving the issue is to get a sprocket adapter, eliminating any stress on the spokes that would otherwise be caused by the rag joint.

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
Thanks for the responses. I believe all my questions have been answered. I've decided to install a brand new rear wheel (wheelmaster 12 gauge steel rim with Shimano 110 hub) and add a MM clamshell hub adapter. So many people touting these things I'm going to give it a try. I've had one sitting in the box for a few months now but my stock hubs didn't have the correct O.D. to accomodate the adapter. Chinese knock off's of the Shimano 110.....

Then in the meantime, I'm going to learn how to true a wheel. Tom you're right, the guys at the bike store make it seem like you need to apprentice for years in order to learn how to properly true a wheel. They point to their certification papers with official gold seal of approval...give me a break! Good to know it's not a black art.. I'll let you know if I'm successful doing this with the rag joint installed like Dave was. (might be a while though before I follow up on this thread).

Last edited: