Chain Issues

GoldenMotor.com

cgoodkind97

Jan 15, 2012
Maryland
Hi

I am a newbie and I started building the bike over the summer and gave up! But, a month ago, I started again and finished and got it working. After about one tank, and a few little kinks, the chain started to fall off every time I would ride it! I replaced the chain with a heavy duty #41 chain, but when I'm riding, I hear a knocking sound and then the chain pops off and I skid and can't ride. Thanks in advance for the helpful advice!!!:-||

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
Sounds like your chan is either too loose, too tight, your sprocket is not true or you have an alignment problem.

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
It could be a few things. Either your chain is too loose, too tight, your sprocket is out of true, or you have an alignment problem. If you post a pic of the bije it might help.
Len455

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
First thing I check when my chain starts coming off is the tensioner alignment. It must be pretty close to right as it feeds the chain to the large sprocket.

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
I was just showing my bike off to a friend. I had to push it backwards. Going backwards takes the chain tensioner out of the mix. My chain came off in less than 3 feet. A closer look showed not very good alignment between the rear sprocket and the front sprocket. And yet there is no problem with the chain coming off when driving forward.

The conclusion I draw from this little exercise is two-fold. Fold one; I need to improve my sprocket alignment which means messing with the engine mount. Fold two; The idler pulley or roller alignment with the rear sprocket is critical to keeping the chain on.

OK, fold three; I have no idea what 'folds' are. Instead of saying 'two-fold', why not say, 'two-things'?

cgoodkind97

Jan 15, 2012
Maryland
Haha I've been working on the alignment between the two sprockets all day! I tightened all the bolts on the rear sprocket and adjusted the idler pulley to give the right tension. But even with all this, no luck! There is this strange noise which sounds like the chain is slipping, but I'll play with it some more! Thanks

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
Hmmmm... Make sure the chain moves correclty all the way through. If its locking up anywere it could be popping off.

cgoodkind97

Jan 15, 2012
Maryland
It has about half an inch of tension, so i don't think that's the issue. My back wheel seems a little misaligned and that might be the issue. Also, on the inside of the casing of the small sprocket, it seems like the chain might be rubbing against it. Could this be why its popping off??

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
The problem is probably not in the engine drive casing, unless the motor is out of alignment, a lot.

Inspect all the issues mentioned above.

Good luck
rc

It's nearly a normal occurance, with a HT running a rag joint.