Shifter Kit from www.sickbikeparts.com

GoldenMotor.com

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
So far three post launch discoveries:

1) We are changing a screw entry direction, not a big deal. The screws have a hair longer protrusion due to a spacer change - so the assembler can put the screws in the other direction or just cut/remove the extra screw length.

2) And rather than purely for 1 1/8" seat tubes, the kit will fit 1 1/4" seat tubes, out of the box or only the most minor material removal to two supplied clamps.

3) Due to popular demand and the amount of one piece cranks, we are exploring the 3 piece crank swap kit.

4) Oh yeah, #4 rotfl people are asking for other parts - studs, petcocks, spark plugs, and of course 4 stroke kits, etc. We are pedaling as fast as we can!! :ride2:

Clotho

May 25, 2008
3) Due to popular demand and the amount of one piece cranks, we are exploring the 3 piece crank swap kit.
For the one piece to 3 piece adapter I would recommend something like this one:
Bottom Bracket Adapter

They can be found a bit cheaper and I have found them made by FMF and Asamo.

The bearing cups and bearings will still be needed but they are easy to obtain.

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Thanks Clotho. We eyeballed that one - we are starting with the lower cost unit that comes with "everything". If it turns out to be weak, we'll get samples of that one as well. So much fun, so little time!!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Awesome guys, you have cracked one of the holy grails of motorized bicycle riding! (^) May I ask what size sprocket is between the jack shaft and wheel? Or could I buy one from you? It is for a pusher motor project. Again, great job!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Sorry about not being more clear in my question. I am having trouble finding a sprocket that will fit on a jack shaft and has 3/32 or 1/8 teeth to drive a bicycle wheel. Or am I searching with the wrong criteria?

I can't wait to try out your shifter kit. Have a brand new MTB that was just waiting for kit. Will be ordering ASAP.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I got confused-id. never mind. Was looking at your web page and thinking some thing else. I over looked your large forward sprocket.

jezusjonz

Feb 26, 2008
Indiana
Well I ordered two of the conversions due to the min order of 20 bucks. Figured they were going to charge me 5 bucks might as well invest it.

Got the kit today and checked all the parts lined it up on my 28 inch wheel bike and not a chance in heck it was going to fit so Im going to have to put it on one of my others.

Later.Terry

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Well I ordered two of the conversions due to the min order of 20 bucks. Figured they were going to charge me 5 bucks might as well invest it.
You mean the crank conversion kit???

Got the kit today and checked all the parts lined it up on my 28 inch wheel bike and not a chance in heck it was going to fit so Im going to have to put it on one of my others.
So you mean the shifter kit won't fit because the space between the wheel and seat tube is too close, right?

jezusjonz

Feb 26, 2008
Indiana
Yes the crank conversion kits....I laid the the clutch side cover up to the bolt holes and the center of the jackshaft bearing hits at the middle of the tire and rim. I didnt have time to get into it to much. I'll send you a pic when I get a chance my desktop bit it and cant do pics for a few days.
Later

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Jezusjones,

I'm doing a shifter kit installation on my bike which also has a very close tire to seat tube distance. I have mocked it up and I believe the installation is possible (I'll make it work on my bike).

Keep an eye on the Rotten Orange build in the photo section for more info on how I make this work. I have a number of similar obstacles that I have to overcome with my build, but it will work in the end, just clearances will be extremely tight.

Judging by the mock up on my bike, I may even have to round off the edges of the shift kit bearing plates to clear the tire... that's how close mine is. So, dont give up. I believe its just a matter of shifting the engine forwards as needed and shimming here and there until the jackshaft and related components clear both the seatpost and the tire.

jezusjonz

Feb 26, 2008
Indiana
Thats cool I'll be watching everyones setups on this. After looking over the kit and all the talks we had about it we knew up front that we were going to be moding it alot due to the different bikes we ran. I have a old schwinn freewheeling crank that I want to try and I'll have to make a whole new set of brackets for it...so winter ought to be fun...
but I 'll be watching.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
The distance from the back of the seat tube to the back of the jackshaft is 1 and 1/8 inches. So if you have over 1 and 1/4 inches you should be fine.

misteright1_99 ,
I looked at your bike and you have a ton of room, no problem assuming you plan on using your red frame.

Last edited:

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
The distance from the back of the seat tube to the back of the jackshaft is 1 and 1/8 inches. So if you have over 1 and 1/4 inches you should be fine.

misteright1_99 ,
I looked at your bike and you have a ton of room, no problem assuming you plan on using your red frame.
Jim, here is a pic of the bike I would like to put an engine and shifter kit on...
There is only about 2" between the seat post and the rear tire...

Attachments