Manic Mechanic Hub Adaptor

GoldenMotor.com

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
I just bought and mounted the cb110 sprocket adapter from Pirate Cycles on my Cranbrook hub. The hub measured in at 1.531, .003" bigger than what was specified. I figured it should be ok. I've driven it around the neighborhood and all is well. I use it as my daily commuter so Ill post back with the results later this week. I have a question for the guys who have these sprocket adapters on their bikes. Does the 2 halves of the adapter clamp completely together or is there a small gap between them when mounted to the rim? Mine has a gap of maybe 1/32 at best.

Thanks,
Pat

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
just so you know, Shimano calls the hub a CB-E110, while everyone here calls it a CB-110. it's the same hub.

also, the "E" is the designation for their newest and latest hub. they made a "D" model that they phased out about 1990, i think.

and in case you were wondering, the "CB" stands for "Coaster Brake" and the "110" is because it's 110mm wide.

there used to be 120's around for tandems and other heavy duty applications, but i dunno if they still make one.

Last edited:

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
just so you know, Shimano calls the hub a CB-E110, while everyone here calls it a CB-110. it's the same hub.

also, the "E" is the designation for their newest and latest hub. they made a "D" model that they phased out about 1990, i think.

and in case you were wondering, the "CB" stands for "Coaster Brake" and the "110" is because it's 110mm wide.

there used to be 120's around for tandems and other heavy duty applications, but i dunno if they still make one.
THANK YOU!

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
That's a good point, Gene and I concede that I wasn't really thing about that part. I apolgize for coming across as a hard ass. Just trying to be of assistance. It's a shame Jim has stopped doing custom fit jobs. Perhaps at this juncture i should suggest the HD axle swap-out kit as an alternative?

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
I'd actually prefer the HD axle. But all the sudden I'm afraid of 2 things:

1. Having to buy a whole new set of spokes because the hub is bigger or smaller than the one I've got, meaning the spokes will be too long or too short. At $1 per spoke (and those are just the cheap-o 14G spokes, better ones would be even more), that's $36 + $50 for the hub, and I'm still running 14G spokes with a cheap alloy rim. I swear I saw a setup somewhere that's pre-made with 12G spokes all steel with the HD hub for ~$100ish, which you'd might as well go for at that point.
  2. The fact that none of the vendors seem to carry a 44 to 36 range sprocket. I'd just mod my own but I don't trust drilling it without access to a proper drill press. Hand drill would slip around, holes would become offset, and I'm not much better off than I was with the rag joint.

Actually, almost all the options require a little extra. The way I see it there's 4 ways to mount:

1. Rag Joint (we've all been down this road).
  2. Manic Mechanic Hub Adapter, which requires a new hub which you might as well get a new wheel for a few dollars more.
  3. The HD kit, which may require re-spoking.
  4. The shift kit, which would require some disc brakes or something since the bottom-bearing freewheel would prevent the coaster brake from working. Not to mention it isn't exactly cost-effective if you're running a single speed bike.

If someone had an HD axle and was kind enough to give a diameter across from spoke base to spoke base, that would be EXTREMELY helpful.

Last edited:

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida
That's a good point, Gene and I concede that I wasn't really thing about that part. I apolgize for coming across as a hard ass. Just trying to be of assistance. It's a shame Jim has stopped doing custom fit jobs. Perhaps at this juncture i should suggest the HD axle swap-out kit as an alternative?
For the record.
I didn't even think you were being a hard ass so don't sweat it. But I did ask Jim about my use of the term Interference Fit and he says it is an Interference Fit . His words. I ask asked about shims
he said he went down that road and was not happy with the results.
Gene

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
So I was going to use their hub adapter on my current project, but when I got ready to order it, they said that they weren't going to make anymore until mid june. I got a buddy to machine the stock sprocket for me and that worked but, I realized that I put the thing on wrong so the chain is rubbing the tire. Then I got clued in on Pirate Cycles and got one ordered this week via three day shipping. I should get it tomorrow or Friday. I figured I'd try it out since I had some extra cash and had to take the sprocket off anyway.

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
Your tire *SHOULD* have enough flexibility to fit on the thing. This is just coming from my experience buying tires at Walmart. On most boxes tires come in, they give a range of rims they'll fit on (for mountain bike/cruiser it usually goes from 1.75 to 2.125)

But... thinner rim = weaker rim in most cases.

I agree with you there Moronic. Currently I have a pair of 26x2.125's on 26x1.75 rims.

Beej

Jun 7, 2010
San Diego, CA
Can someone tell me if any of the manic mechanic hub adapters will fit the hub on the Phat Cycles brand bikes? They list it as a KT coaster brake rear and the arm has a name of HISTOP on it.

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida
The Shimano CB-110/CB-110E measures 1.524" -1.527"
The huffy Cranbrook hub measures 1.504" -1.508"
The Falcon CFE-10 measures 1.531 - 1.535"
The Modus 08-(E,G,H), measures 1.181" - 1.185"

This was posted in this thread you can call Pirate cycles to confirm so start measuring your hub.

Starchalopakis

May 13, 2010
California
I have a Schwinn Jaguar and I do not have a micrometer at the moment. I know there are lot of Jaguar's out there. Does anyone know off hand which adaptor works for a Schwinn Jaguar?

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
I just bought and mounted the cb110 sprocket adapter from Pirate Cycles on my Cranbrook hub. The hub measured in at 1.531, .003" bigger than what was specified. I figured it should be ok. I've driven it around the neighborhood and all is well. I use it as my daily commuter so Ill post back with the results later this week. I have a question for the guys who have these sprocket adapters on their bikes. Does the 2 halves of the adapter clamp completely together or is there a small gap between them when mounted to the rim? Mine has a gap of maybe 1/32 at best.

Thanks,
Pat
Update... The hub adapter worked flawlessly during the week. Its a cb-110e hub adapter mounted on a Cranbrook hub (1.530").

Pat

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Patrick,

(im doing the same build btw)

Can you add a spacer or gasket or shim ..... something to fill the gap? Would it be nesessary?

Did you use the sprocket in the kit? (9 holes?)

Or did you buy the the sprocket with the 3 holes from pirate too?

Thank you. :)

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
My adapter wound up having about the same gap and it's had about 200 miles on it so far this year. You can re-drill the 9 hole sprocket but it's a whole lot less hassle to just get one from Pirate, they're a lot nicer looking and if you want to go with a different tooth count they're cheaper then a rag joint sprocket.

broHSI

Jul 27, 2009
USA, CA
I have a Schwinn Jaguar and I do not have a micrometer at the moment. I know there are lot of Jaguar's out there. Does anyone know off hand which adaptor works for a Schwinn Jaguar?
The Modus 08-(E,G,H), measures 1.181" - 1.185" works for the jaguar

Make sure that your hub is not the concave version that will not work.

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
I have a Shimano Nexus 3 Speed Hub and can not get Jim to make me a Sprocket/Hub adapter; even after he said he would make me one on this website (waiting since February, when order was placed). If you have a Shimano CB-110 or OCC; you will be more than happy with the results.

If you don't, well you are like me only wishing that one could be made. I had no choice but to use the HD Axle setup (4 Stroke engine) at a considerable expense and unable to use my 12g stock Felt MP wheels because of the Nexus 3 Hub; Damn it.

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
Patrick,

(im doing the same build btw)

Can you add a spacer or gasket or shim ..... something to fill the gap? Would it be nesessary?

Did you use the sprocket in the kit? (9 holes?)

Or did you buy the the sprocket with the 3 holes from pirate too?

Thank you. :)
The gap? ...between the 2 halves of the adapter at the edges where the bolts go through? No need to fill that gap. I just bolted it up and went. It worked fine all week (33 miles). Yep I used the 3 hole Pirate sprocket as well. Is your hub the 1.530" hub?

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
hi patrick,
yes, that gap, ok, no need.
Is the adapter actually squeezing around the hub for a secure fit?

Not sure, all I know is that I have a huffy cranbrook, with a shamino falcon hub.

Quoted from above posts:
The huffy Cranbrook hub measures 1.504" -1.508"
The Falcon CFE-10 measures 1.531 - 1.535"

??? why is there a cranbrook hub measurement?
??? shouldnt it be a shamino falcon measurement ONLY?

Im a little confused.