New - Hi from South Africa..

GoldenMotor.com

BerettaCC

Apr 20, 2010
Johannesburg S.A.
I am new to motorised bikes, - but not new to all things mechanical and cycling..

I happened upon this Chopper, looked all Pissy in Orange, Ratted her up..
Found out last week -I could put a motor in her.. so I await the motor..
Here in S.A. we have none of the great bikes / Builders / Accessories or motor suppliers..
So importing and trading at great expense, due to Rand Dollar / euro / pound exchange is real Bad....

I have had to make - things-
Will post pics of motor in - soon

Attachments

BerettaCC

Apr 20, 2010
Johannesburg S.A.
Was good to see, I am not alone when it comes to Bicycle - and Motors....
Always wanted to build a - motorised bike....
Quick question -
From what I am seeing - the motors and how the operate, all seem to be similar, and mostly of Eastern origins.. (Chinese ) with chain wheels that attatch onto the back wheel via clamping over the spokes...
Are there better mods, and better engines, available - built by known engine builders?
Here in S.A. all things come via - someone who knows a chinese importer,,, etc etc..

BerettaCC

Apr 20, 2010
Johannesburg S.A.
I got my 48 cc motor.. But if I fit it without a decent mount I am looking at a messy sit with regards the chain and rear chain wheel.. I need to find a OCC motor mount or similar so that my sprocket in front lines up with the rear..
I am looking to purchase a Motor Mount .. OCC or chopper style.. Anyone have one they want to sell and post to Sunny South Africa..?

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Welcome from the West coast of Canada. Very nice start with your bike.

If you read through what is on the different threads on the forums a lot of your questions can be answered.
Glad you joined us.

Steve.

BerettaCC

Apr 20, 2010
Johannesburg S.A.
Strange thing..
I have offered to purchase a motor mount - yet none of the mails Ive sent are being replied to, not on ebay or any other pages, Business must be great in the USA?????

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Beretta, have you contacted the people selling parts that are listed on this site? I can only have an electric bike were I live so I don't know who sells what for gas motor parts.

Steve.

BerettaCC

Apr 20, 2010
Johannesburg S.A.
Hi .. I an in Johannesburg..
I am making parts.. Since getting them in is proving difficult both from companies listed on this site and others..

I have a question - I am ready to mount my motor.. I am looking at putting it dead centre on the bottom tube with a custom mount I have fabricated the rear mount then clamped onto seat tube..
Then use a double sproket set up to link to the rear chain wheel.. Since it is so offset.

Is it vital to mount these motors dead centre, thus forcing a double sprocket addition.. Or can I mount the motor totally off centre and then run the chain directly to the rear chain wheel..?

BerettaCC

Apr 20, 2010
Johannesburg S.A.
I have contacted most on this site and others.. With little success.

I am based in Johannesburg...

Quick question
When mounting my motor.. Is it necessary to mount it dead centre on the frame tubes forcing the use of a split chain and two extra sprokets.. To get the chain past the big back wheel..
Or can I mount the motor off centre and then run the chain straight to the chain srocket on the wheel?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I would suggest posting photos which show the problem. I'm no expert and could well be wrong, but if it were me and I had options in how to mount it, I'd go for as direct a line as I could between the motor sprocket and the wheel drive sprocket. Otherwise the chain is going to jump the sprocket. Unless I'm not understanding the question. That's one reason photos are good. You sound determined and willing to do what needs to be done. Once you post photos someone who has run into a similar problem can help you out. Good luck!
SB

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Welcome to the forum! The Orange County Choppers were being mounted off set and ran with one chain. I don't know where folks were getting the mount though. Check The Choppers here..

jeanlee411

May 7, 2010
jeanlee411
Nice looking bike. I look forward to seeing it with the motor in place. Welcome to the forum.
SB
I got my 48 cc motor.. But if I fit it without a decent mount I am looking at a messy sit with regards the chain and rear chain wheel.. I need to find a OCC motor mount or similar so that my sprocket in front lines up with the rear..
I am looking to purchase a Motor Mount .. OCC or chopper style.. Anyone have one they want to sell and post to Sunny South Africa..?drn2.flg.