Good solid runner till the other day...

GoldenMotor.com

freeport36

Jul 4, 2009
Florida
Hi all, just found this tonight!!! What a great place to be stupid. You all seem to have a bunch of outstanding input. I need some. Anybody want to live chat or add to this thread would be appreciated.

Bike wont start. Went through the basics, fuel, spark and air to no avail. I tried my volt meter on the leads and cant get a consistent reading. It does seem to be a spark issue since when I pulled the mag cover off some water trickled out. Any ideas??? Next inexpensive test or fix would be helpful:-||...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Freeport,
Welcome, you've come to the right place. There is a wealth of good information and experience here to help you.
Water in the magneto is not a good thing. Did you get caught in the rain...wash your bike? The most common entry point is where the wires exit the engine case near the front. Moisture can ground out the magneto and cause the problem you're describing.
You can try spraying the mag with WD-40, blow dry and let air dry for a few hours but there is a chance the coil is soaked and will require more drying time. Many of us seal the wire exit hole with a good silicone gasket sealer such as Permatex Black Silicone. After trying that and if you still have no spark you might be faced with replacing the nagneto coil. Did the CDI get wet too?
There are several things that could be wrong. You said you have checked spark but how did you confirm that the plug is firing? Give us a little more information and we'll be here with help. I assume you have a Chinese 2 stroke motor? Come back with a little more details.
Tom

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
Blow the coil area out with compressed air or spray with WD-40. take the plug out and turn the engine over to clear the cylinder. then attach the plug to the plug lead and lay the plug on the cylinder and turn the motor over and check for spark. If you get spark, install the plug and spray small amount of starting fluid in carb (not filter) turn motor over should at least fire a second or two. Then its a fuel issue.

Hope this helps!
Happy 4th!