Jul 31, 2015
NC
Hey Buba . I don't usually recommend tandy leather for leather
but if you just need some cheap pieces try them or ebay

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
thanks Chain

There must be a cowboy or two out there who has access to saddlery leather harness leather etc.

that is the source I am seeking-directly from the cow to the tannery to the localized Midwest users for such leather....

by the way- the two couches yielded a good 40 pounds of upholstery leather -- I want the thicker stuff

YAAAHOOO!!!

chain

Jul 31, 2015
NC
I'm not getting what you are asking then . I buy my leather by the side Herman oak 9-11
0z Grade A $200-300 per side . You said cheap . You won't get good leather from a Cowboy ? cheap . Go to Herman Oaks site go to Goliger go to Montana leather .

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Worked in the cattle business for a long time on and off, from calving to tanning, I've done it all. I can tell you, just get your leather wholesale. "Straight from the cowboy" tells me "an arm and a leg". A LOT of work goes into processing cowhide to leather. If someone like me goes through that kind of trouble, you'll pay $500 to start, likely closer to $800.

Repurposed leather is likely your best bet, belts coats, even boots. If you want good stiff stuff, like saddlery, you'll want steerhide. Its what high quality holsters and saddles are made from. Finding that stuff will be hard, at least repurposed, you'll have to buy it.

chain

Jul 31, 2015
NC
Hey???... Maybe it's me , I've bin told im a little thick! But I have no idea what the **** you guys are talking about ??I do tooled leather for the last 10 years full time and I just dont get what the heck your saying ? Straight from the cowboy and $500 to $800 ?There are a 100 leather suppliers that sell hides by the side , bend, neck , back and bellies for about $100 and up depending on the quality ...
Worked in the cattle business for a long time on and off, from calving to tanning, I've done it all. I can tell you, just get your leather wholesale. "Straight from the cowboy" tells me "an arm and a leg". A LOT of work goes into processing cowhide to leather. If someone like me goes through that kind of trouble, you'll pay $500 to start, likely closer to $800.

Repurposed leather is likely your best bet, belts coats, even boots. If you want good stiff stuff, like saddlery, you'll want steerhide. Its what high quality holsters and saddles are made from. Finding that stuff will be hard, at least repurposed, you'll have to buy it.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Leather from suppliers comes from tanneries, which typically work with slaughterhouses. Hides are bought in huge lots, and processed by machines and chemicals. All that saves huge expense in man-hours.

Ever killed, and skinned an animal? The size of a cow? Then process it into something usable? Lot of work just in getting the hide off.

Not saying the wholesalers are more expensive, in fact quite the opposite. I was illustrating the fact that "straight from the cowboy" is not at all the way to go.

I work for a guide service currently, and we charge $200 to skin a deer, $400 for cow elk, $600 for bull elk and black bear. A bull elk can weigh around 1000lbs, a steer (beefeater) can easily reach 1 ton.

This is a case where "support your local farmer" can really bite back. The little guy just can't compete with big industry, is what I'm getting at