2 stroke 80cc Clutch problems.

GoldenMotor.com

craigbett

Mar 16, 2011
US
I've been riding lately and the clutch has been slipping a lot lately (esp. on start up) Its about 6mo old. I opened it up and the rubber (between the big gear and the the cover) is frayed and have a checker pattern on all the bumps.

Here's a picture:

Does it look like it needs to be replaced?

Last edited:

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
all you need to do is replace the rubber clutch pads, not the entire clutch.
a set of pads will cost you about $15.00 or so.
You could try adjusting it with the flower nut, but i think you'd be better off just replacing the pads and starting over.
also, while you have it apart, put some grease on those gears, they look pretty dry.
you don't want a whole lot of grease on them because it could end up in the clutch and make it slip. just a little grease to provide some cushion ans lubrication when the gears mesh.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I opened it up and the rubber (between the big gear and the the cover) is frayed and have a checker pattern on all the bumps.
Does it look like it needs to be replaced?
The checkered pattern is in the clutch material itself. Most likely the same as in a tire sidewall. Sit and think for a minute, if you have two surfaces rubbing together in a circular motion, how would you ever end up with a checkerboard pattern.:confused:

While apart, remove pads, clean with brake cleaner, apply a small amount of grease to the "57" or so bearings, and a liberal amount between the two gears. I like to use a syringe to lubricate the bearings.

Last edited:

craigbett

Mar 16, 2011
US
The checkered pattern is in the clutch material itself. Most likely the same as in a tire sidewall. Sit and think for a minute, if you have two surfaces rubbing together in a circular motion, how would you ever end up with a checkerboard pattern.:confused:

While apart, remove pads, clean with brake cleaner, apply a small amount of grease to the "57" or so bearings, and a liberal amount between the two gears. I like to use a syringe to lubricate the bearings.
I figured the checkered pattern was from wearing down the ribber on the front side. The back side of the pads are fine, as in they are black with no checkers.

and thanks for the input guys :)

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
It looks like your clutch pads have grease on them. And they are supposed to have a checkered pattern. No need to replace. The bearings are in between the big gear and where the clutch nut goes, they are what lets them spin independently. So just clean out the whole area with brake clean, then put some grease on the gears but not too much, and a little on those bearings. Be careful not to get grease on the clutch pads or plates/discs, or in an area where grease could fling off and onto clutch parts when it is spinning.