how do I decide, hp, engine kits, speed?

GoldenMotor.com

moserclassic

Aug 13, 2011
VA
I ride mainly road bikes and often race road cycling criteriums.

I am now looking to build up a motor bicycle and after researching extensively on this site and am trying to decide on what might be the best setup based on the following factors and criteria:

1) Have two bikes to choose from which I currently own. A Kona 29er single speed mountain bike or a classic style moser road bike that is geared and setup for bicycle road racing. Not sure how to decide on which would be the best to start with.

2) Want to use this bike for commuting but would like to have the capability of riding longer mileage with it as well, say 40/50 miles at a time on slower traffic roads.

3) Budget - would like to spend 450 or less, I already have the bikes so do not need to buy those.

4) Would like to be able to pedal as assistance and also use the regular brakes. The Kona has disc brakes while the moser has canti-lever (rim brakes).

5) Level of speed - hopefully could go up to about 25-30. I am 6'4" and weigh about 190.

6) Would like to be on the quieter side if possible. Don't particularly want a super loud motor when commuting in the morning or evening.

I am a novice when it comes to installing mechanical parts so complicated installations would be frustrating I'm sure.

Questions:
If I decide to use the Kona can I keep the disc brakes with either the friction drive rear mount or chain drive rear and in frame kits?
If I decide to use the moser with gears will this installation of the kit cause me to have to give up some of the gears?
What are the main advantages of friction drive vs. chain drive? Is one typically more durable than another?
Is there a certain horsepower range that would be best suited for this criteria listed above? I assume more hp would be better but I am not sure.
On in frame kits does the exhaust prevent proper pedaling and potentially burn the rider?
I see some kits have different styles of throttle, I have no idea which is better.

I know that was a lot of questions but just trying to make a logical decision.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Moser, welcome to the crazy. (They are really addicting)

First few lines of your post had me thinking a friction drive would be some thing you might enjoy. Is a great option for when ya want to bicycle and not MB. Wet is their big down fall. Rain etc.

But if I were to be brave enough to offer advise, which I ain't, snork. (never ends well) I would say try to hit a ride or MB gathering. MB folks are great fun and ya don't have to have one to attend. But will give you a chance to see some up close and ask questions in person. The internet thing, folks are cautious-er.

Chain drives are actually my personal preference. But I ride in a manor of assisting the engine, not the engine assisting the bicycle. So drag created by trying pedal with a chain drive are not a biggie for me. (until I run out of gas or break down, snork)

No matter which way ya go, ya grin from ear to ear after first ride. If nothing broke, fell off or killed you.

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Yea, I'd lean towards Friction Drive(FD) too. When you're not using it, just lift it off the tire for no drag what-so-ever. With an in-frame kit, chain drag when just wanting to pedal is a nuisance.(or when she inevitably breaks down)

FD engine options are plentiful, just remember, the more hp ~ the more gas she drinks...

Dax has a nice FD kit that alot of engines will bolt to. and you can get different sized rollers for either top speed, or climbing powa.

gl.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
These motorbikes are a bit like girls. You look at a lot of them and your favorite becomes apparent before too long.