Help a newbee, if you feel like it.

GoldenMotor.com

Howardgf

Sep 27, 2015
NM
Hi all, New Mexico new guy here. Just beginning my first build for myself, and I'd like to avoid all the problems I can BEFORE they happen. Today's question is, does anyone have a pic of the failure point on the WM Nel Lusso frame? Seat stay, I've heard, around the rack weld, somewhere, but no one on "Another" group had a pic. Just passed on hearsay. The Huffy at 150, including tax, was the best looking bike for the price, so I got one after a long search for an old frame, locally. Amazing how those things disappear when you need one. Anyway, Plans are for a complete teardown, greasing, and re assembly, with better bearings all around as soon as I find some. Manic mechanic sprocket adapter, cause I don't want to re do my wheel and rag joint later. Thumb throttle, just to try. Maybe I'll like it.
A black HT 66cc from Banggood, for 113 bux. Big adjustable front mount, which I may use, or maybe urethane sway bar mount to reduce vibrations. M-Wave center stand. Old PUCH speedo. Hope it works. Engine teardown to precede mounting, to replace butter bolts, and maybe true the flywheels in the lathe if I see much silliness there. That's my whole plan, so far. Any help appreciated, don't be shy, share your hard earned knowledge, if you would. (That OTHER group, not so much). Always researching, but I don't mind applying your experience rather than making my own. THANKS, Howard, in the desert.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum, Howard. We're glad you've joined us here where I believe you'll find a lot of members ready and willing to offer advice and suggestions.

"urethane sway bar mount". This can be a good idea, or a bad one depending on how that bushing is used. First, it will not reduce or eliminate vibration. Neither will any resilient material. I've used urethane bushings on several builds with good results but I assure the engine is mounted solidly and can not move.
It would help if you could post a photo or drawing of how you propose to mount the engine using the bushings in question.

You'll get more replies and someone will be able to answer your question regarding the frame cracks.

Not sure what you mean by "true the flywheels in the lathe". You'll need to explain that a little further. Otherwise it sounds like you have a good plan. Good luck.

Tom

Howardgf

Sep 27, 2015
NM
Hi 2door. I have the cnc aluminum mount, the Omega shaped one, but I got thinking about the frame cracking issue, hence the urethane idea. The flywheel thing would be to remove imperfections in alignment, runout, etc. , as we did with HD 74 engines. I think Fred someone has a youtube vid on it. I'm probably a week away from engine exploration. I buy WM, and Harbor Freight stuff often, but I always tear everything down for cleaning and adjustment, lube, etc. I love my Chinese machines, but I DID have to give them tlc not included at the factory. Ill post pics as soon as I figure out how. BTW, do you know the difference between 66cc A and B cyls? I want a spare top end. Thanks, H.

Howardgf

Sep 27, 2015
NM
THANKS Dave. That's exactly what I needed to know. I plan to reinforce that stay on both sides, somehow, undecided as yet. Possibly a split tube overlay, or machined split aluminum block. I also plan to add a full length tube into the seat post tube and use a smaller post. Not sure about the front main tube yet either. Any ideas gratefully received, as always. Thanks, H.

Howardgf

Sep 27, 2015
NM
OK, another idea. What would be the consensus, if I split copper tubing, and formed it over the front and rear tubes. I may lean toward steam, or dieselpunk themes, so polished copper, or brass would fit. Clamped on with something mechanical looking. Split collars, maybe. Just wondering about strength. Think it would be enough?
Also, Tom, the truing of the wheels would remove some vibes, and, more importantly, shaft/magnet/gear wobble, IF there happens to be any, that is.
I have to say that finding a hobby group where people actually respond, and are courteous, is refreshing. I usually abandon new hobby groups pretty quickly, due to attitude. Bravo Guys!
As always, thanks for the input, H.

Last edited: