Whole scooter for $600 vs. Bike motor for $200

GoldenMotor.com

offroad

Dec 31, 2008
Connecticut
50cc Moped Scooters :: Moped Scooters :: Sunny Sports Inc. - Wholesale|Retail|Distributor|Importer|Trader

Was looking at this and comparing to the investment some have put into their motor bikes. $600 versus $200 motor to be installed (or much higher depends on configuration)

What am I not getting? Yes I understand the hobbiest aspect, and that is good for the money investment. But for raw transportation, I am hard pressed to recommend anything less than one of these cheap scooters.

Comments?

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
For raw transportation, I agree. Those who are in it for more than that will spend more and a scooter will not do (myself included). I could have gotten an old used motorcycle for what I have in my bike...but that's not the point. Frankly, $4 gas was a bummer, but did not change my lifestyle. I don't do this for transpo. However, for pure cheap, you can get away for not much more than $200 if you already have a suitable bike.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
CCS= Cheap Chinese scooter= 600 dollars worth of junk.

They are the bottomless pit of motoring. I would buy several 125 dollar bicycle motor kits for the same money.

Those scooters are slow, and vibrate as much or more than a bike kit.

Plus add the cost of shipping.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
In Arizona, the machines on that website will require a driver's license, tag and insurance. A motorized bicycle requires none of the above in AZ, and we can ride in the bike lane. I'm not sure that it is worth the insurance expense to ride 15mph faster in a traffic lane with the monster trucks.
The laws in Conn might possibly make the scooters on that website a better deal for you. Research the laws before you buy. Cheers

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Nice looking bikes.
Cost of my bike.$400
motor..............$215
Jackshaft kit $270
Total...............$885

The only thing is that with a scooter, you have to drive on the roads at all times and car drivers treat you like another motor vehicle.
I'm not saying that I don't follow the rules of the road but lets face it, it's much easier to bend the rules on a bicycle.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I was going to buy a 50cc scooter before I found the wonderful world of motorized bikes.

Here in CO, you pay $5 for a 3-year tag. Since the max they can theoretically go is 25, you can still ride in the bike lane I believe. We also don't have a huge "monster truck" problem here in Longmont though.

Eventually I would like to buy a Vespa or other quality scooter for main transportation, but not right now. All in all, I've probably spent a good $600 on my bike so far. I guess it just depends on what you're looking for.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Plus most of those 50cc scooters won't reach more than 25-29 mph, (real world, not what the speedo says) or the same speed as a motorized bike.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
One more consideration:

Replacement parts...

Florida is inundated with these cheap scooters.

I've had several people come to the shop asking if I can make this or that, for thier scooter or small motorcycle. Of course it's rarely practical.

Before buying one of these I would want to know that parts are available.

Our Pep-Boys Auto parts stores have Chinese 4-wheelers and dirt bikes...they also have parts for them, in-stock! I've been tempted to buy one of the 150cc enduros just for fun. They are $1,200.00 and I don't have "fun" money right now. Of course I would rather have an old RM125 or YZ, but I never see them for sale...cheap.

Offroad,

You'd have to see one of those scooters up close...they're O.K. for a 110lb girl. A lot of us are 200lb+; an engine powered bike is a better way to go and we can always get parts.

Jim

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I agree with the hard core MBers above. Those really cheap Chinese scooters are junk. You will be working on it more than on an MB. You may not be fixing it though if you can't find the parts. You don't want to pay a Machine Shop to build parts for it. You will run up a bill more than the thing cost you. If you want cheap transportation go with the MB.

John

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Yeah, the new crop of cheap Chinese scooters I'd avoid. They look spiffy with their colorful molded plastic but go up a bit in price, Honda or Yamaha for example. A buddy bought a lightly used Yamaha Zuma this past summer for $1200 and it's nice. I've taken it out, handles great and it'll cruise at 45 mph easily on flats. Best part it's 50cc and under the same moped law in my state and needs no tags, insurance, or MC license.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hate to say this but if the bottom line is the bottom line, a scooter is the way to go. A bicycle with motor assistance is the way to go if you want to build some thing, not buy some thing to ride or get around. Create and build a working piece of art all your own. A mass produced scooter will have all the bells and whistles. (Horn and lights) They are cheaper then a MB bought used and built for comfort. All around, simpler to operate and own. It was just not built by you.

Last edited:

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Hate to say this but if the bottom line is the bottom line, a scooter is the way to go. A bicycle with motor assistance is the way to go if you want to build some thing, not buy some thing to ride or get around. Create and build a working piece of art all your own. A mass produced scooter will have all the bells and whistles. (Horn and lights) They are cheaper then a MB bought used and built for comfort. All around, simpler to operate and own. It was just not built by you.
....and that's why it's taking me forever to get going on a MB. :oops:

Our bike/moped/scooter laws are lenient most of the time so there's really no incentive for me to build a MB to ride a whole 4 miles round trip for work.

Sorry, I use a.........$600 Chinese 4 stroke scooter, preowned. rotfl Been using it almost a year and only had to change the drive belt and adjust the valves. Other than that, it runs just fine. I get 35 to 40 mph on the flats, 25up hills and 45 to 50 mph down those same hills. I also have a shoulder/bike lane all to myself 75% of the route. The rest is getting across a 50yd bridge and small town riding.

I also picked up a 50cc 4 stroke retro scooter and a "vintage" Yamaha QT50. Both are waiting for restoration work. I'd like to add a gas or electric powered MB to the stable, eventually. Just not finding the time or extra resources for it as I'm also in the process of remodeling our kitchen. <sigh> Neverending. The floor is next. :-||

Meanwhile, the scooter is my main ride. It's also great when it's raining. I did ride my bike in the rain once. Should have just sat on the bike and had the wife shoot both of us down with the water hose. :D

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Chinese scooters are way more dangerous than a well constructed mb. They are extremely top heavy and have no gyro' motion due to small wheels.
Beside's if there is an accident or traffic jam, I can kill the motor, ride down the sidewalk, get past or out of the jam; drop clutch or pull the starter and back on the thottle you go!
In WA you can't split lanes w/ an m/c or a scoot. but, w/ tact, I can do better than that on my mb and everyone is unnaffected; no jestures of displeasure, or comments at volume, or high frequency 12v diaphrams, etc.
Scoots can be fun, but I wouldn't ride one here in the winter. Ironically there are forums about scooters.

Last edited:

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
I think those scooters would be great if a guy could get one for off road use. There's a few older gentlemen that ride those vespa lookin' things through town in the summer and the complaint with them as they see it, is the small gas tank and the slick tires.

But it all boils down to what is practical. An MB is interchangeable for what ever terrain you want, it's way cheaper, and you can fix it yourself, which is probably the number one reason why I won't own a scooter!

.wee.

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Hope I'm not coming across as saying scooters are better/safer. I love the simplicity, asthetics and economy of MB's and will eventually replace all but one of my scooters. I'll still be hanging onto one of those for rainy day commutes. ;)

I've been riding scooters for the past 5 years, now, and discovered MB's only about a year ago. I found the whole concept of gas or electric bicycling intrigueing, to say the least. Unfortunately for me, I have to have everything shipped in and the really cool bikes are hard to come by and I'll probably have to order the one I want through a local dealer. Thanks to you guys and this forum, I have a good idea who the reputable dealers are and what works and what doesn't. Oh yeah! I'm selling a couple of my scooters and buying the biggest 2 stroke kit I can find and a shift kit. I'm a 200+lb. grouch who's got hills to climb and can use all the help I can get. ;)

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I would never buy a scooter because I don't want to entrust on the fellow truck driver behind me that I never met in my life that in the event that a dog jumps in front of me and I panic stop within a foot of said dog that truck driver man will not stop and run over poor little me into road kill.

If you want to ride the roads get a motorcycle,please. If you want to smell the flowers and have the world pass you by slowly without having to worry about traffic running you over than get a MB.

Scooters are dangerous. Sorry scooter fans. That's my opinion.

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
I work on and like the idea of scooters. They have a nice soft plushy ride and all needed to ride on the street. It's a whole different category to compare it with a hand built MB.
I'd like to have both, but haven't found the passion to get a scooter yet.
I'm working on my 2nd MB. build.
A good scooter will cost more than $600. usually. I probably have more than that in my MB.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
When I sold my bike and began playing around with ebikes it was fun. Now due to several reasons colliding, I'm ready to move on. So I have been giving some thought to what I could get to run my fat butt around town now and then. Car is out of the question, my wife has threatened to call the highway patrol to put out an all points on me if I drive.

I have a driver's license even thought my doctor has warmed me about driving and I have to admit he is right. So how about a motorcycle, I thought. Too dangerous to me and the kids at the bus stop. I really wouldn't be much less of a risk to the public than me in a two ton car.

Motor scooter... First thing that hit my mind was, okay 900 bucks for one that might have a chance to be road worthy. What about a tire, could I find one at Wallymart or am I going to have to pay premium prices every time I need something. Can I find a carburetor or an ignition coil at all. How about a sprocket. Not locally for sure.

So I moved back to bikes gas or electric they are less expensive to buy and easier to repair. I know if the motor goes bad you are going to need to repair or replace parts that are not easy to find locally, but if it is running gear, Wallymart and bikeshops should fix you right up.

The kits aren't that hard to put on a bike. They aren't as easy as the dealers tell you but If I could do it anyone could.

Bang for your buck is a bike kit. If reliability is an issue build two, you can for the same price.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
A good scooter will cost more than $600. usually.
Fo'sho'!
My Yamaha 50 is the shizzyola, ($1699.00) but I stay off the main drag most of the time, except to get to the back roads. I have ridden it well over 100 miles in a day...electric start, good lights, turn signals, ect.ect. LEGAL IN OHIO....

But it is NOT a motorcycle, OR a motorized bike. Al fill a need.