Towing on break in and a squeak ?

GoldenMotor.com

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Hey guys as some will know now I bent the shaft at the mag and basically destroyed the motor ,so fitted a new kit ,yes yes I'm a slacker I know but it isn't possible to do a rebuild at the moment ,the old motor will be my port and mod motor ( excited as a kid in a candy shop)

Now the new kit has only done about 10 km from new

I've noticed the motor makes a squeak/rubbing sound on throttle down but on throttle up sounds sweet ,not that I've given her too much as she is on breakin of course a few seconds of WOT but that's all ,I believe it may have been an over tight clutch cable but if you have any other idea what it is please let me know :)

Now I need to take the kids to school their combined weight is about 40 kg mine about 98 kg so over all about 140 kg (308lb) and as you will see from the pics I've got a sweet carrier to take them , do you think this is a risky thing to tow them on the trailer during breakin ?
Would it put to much stress on the motor ?

Any advice would be great as I'm honestly not sure and don't want to risk killing a day old motor

Cheers guys and kindest regards

Sean

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Have you greased the gears, bearing and bucking bar?
Is the engine chain rubbing the inside of the sprocket cover?
Have you checked the head nuts for proper torque after the engine has cooled down?

Towing the kids should not be a problem so long as you help the engine out alot during takeoff and don't go too fast. Try to ease the strain on it as much as you can.

Last edited:

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Have you greased the gears, bearing and bucking bar?
Is the engine chain rubbing the inside of the sprocket cover?
Have you checked the head nuts for proper torque after the engine has cooled down?

Towing the kids should not be a problem so long as you help the engine out alot during takeoff and don't go too fast. Try to ease the strain on it as much as you can.
Thanks Gearnut ,I've greased the large toothed sprocket that is on the RHS of the motor and the cog where the chain enters the motor but I'm not sure where else to grease ,could you give me a link to a tutorial if you know of one off hand ,I've searched here and can't find any

Please excuse my lack of knowledge mate I'm used to 6c ford 250 motors but these little 2strokers are a whole different beast

I extremely appreciate your constant Input my friend ,I know I can be a pain in the arse most of the time but was taught there's no stupid question

Regards Sean.crt. ( FOUND IT GEARNUT UNDER LUBRICATION :). )

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I don't see a problem with your intentions either, just take off easy and cruise it.. The engine might just like that.... I weigh about 220 and live in a hilly area so most my riding is sligtly up hill both ways it seams... lol. Needless to say my engines get more of a workout than I really like when breaking them in but they turn out ok.

I've learned that these things do really well as long as they don't overheat during the break in

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
You want a little load on break in IMO as the rings don't chatter around, seat properly and over all break in way nicer with a better sealing property in the long run.. I agree with the over heating analagy.

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Well I just finished the towing ride and she run very well indeed.
She starts better than any

I didn't push her to much and when waiting for the 6 minutes at a traffic stop I stopped her and felt the temp ,no overheat issues at all

The only issue I'm having now is this chattering ,I'll explain more maybe someone can help as to where it's coming from .

When I throttle up no issues , no noise at all but when I'm throttling down ( some would say engine braking ) she chatters somewhat like a che che che sound ,when i engage the clutch it stops all together

I'm guessing the large toothed cog area under the cover on the RHS of the motor needs more lubing ( please excuse my analurgy) but I just want to be sure it's no other issue .

I would have greased her up already but realised I'd left my tub of grease in the shed at the old premises and suspect it will be gone now ,it was high temp machine grease my old man gave me from working on a mining plant as it was meant to be one of the best and didn't break down to quickly

Would marine grease do the job ,my neighbour has a tub of this for his boat or could one of you blokes suggest a good but lower on the price range oil ( being school fee season cash is a bit tight)

I appreciate everyone's comments aswell ,it gave me the confidence to tow the kids to school knowing my little motor wouldn't suffer

THANKS GUYS

Regards Henshooter.crt.

Last edited:

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
marine grease is probably not high temp, it's just water resistant.
I'd be going for a good High temp wheel bearing type grease.
take the plug out, disengage the clutch and spin the wheel with the gear/clutch cover off. Did you relive the sprocket cover?
If you have 415 chain it will rub the sprocket cover, you'll see when you take it off.
Bring on the Mod's!

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Ok guys I've shaved the cover as there was a bit of chain rub greased everything with a high temp machine grease as per the lubrication thread but she is still making a noise ,somewhat like something in the clutch area is rubbing ( the area that has the small ceramic looking plates around the large toothed cog) .
When I have engaged the clutch so she is Idoling there's no noise but release the clutch and ride and it makes the noise when the motor is in down throttle ,I'm lost as to what this issue is HELP :(

Cheers guys Sean:-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The noise you're hearing might be just normal HT sounds. Some are quieter than others. Some are very noisy but seem to quiet down over time. Some never do.
Without actually hearing the noise, in person not from a camera or video, it'll be hard to tell exactly what you're hearing and if it is normal or not.

I have a bike, the jinxed black one, that the gear/clutch noise is actually louder than the exhaust. Very annoying and nothing I've done has had much effect on the sound. Still runs okay, no sign of interference in chain, covers, clutch parts or gears, it's just noisy.

Tom

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
Hen, Are you pulling the clutch in when going downhill? It's just my opinion but, If you use the engine for braking when going downhill it is not getting as much lubrication as normal because your still turning the same number of rpm without being on the gas. Do you understand what I'm saying? When you pull the clutch in order to slow down going downhill the engine goes to Idle and is being lubricated as normal.

Henshooter

Feb 10, 2014
Melbourne au
Hen, Are you pulling the clutch in when going downhill? It's just my opinion but, If you use the engine for braking when going downhill it is not getting as much lubrication as normal because your still turning the same number of rpm without being on the gas. Do you understand what I'm saying? When you pull the clutch in order to slow down going downhill the engine goes to Idle and is being lubricated as normal.
Sure do ,when I'm going down hill I engage clutch and use front and coasters to stop ,it only occurs when I'm throttling down but I've noticed it's seems to be a tad quieter today ,not by much but enough to be noticeable ,I can say it's definately NOT the motor as when I engage the clutch the noise disappears and the motor runs beautifully ,it seems to be a scrTching/rubbing noise that has something to do with the clutch , I don't want to lube in the area for fear of clutch slip due to oil on the pads or similar ,I suppose I'll just take it easy and see if it disappears after a while
.crt.

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
Hey Hen, Sounds like you need to lube on the other side. Pull your clutch actuator cover off(the thing that covers your drive sprocket, chain side) and lube the end of your pin and the bottom of the actuator. When that gets dry it sounds like a blood curlying scream from a young one or finger nails on a chalkboard or one of the most annoying sounds you can think of.