Engine advice needed

GoldenMotor.com

SHEW SHOW

Aug 31, 2012
NC
Hello,

I have been looking on this site for some time now and currently working on a board track style bike, starting with a Firestone Pilot canvas. Year of bike unknown but thinking late 40's.
Anyway, I have been looking around at the different engines (mostly the 2cycle 66cc) and had almost decided on the right fit.
Today I ran across a 2005 Whizzer NE5 (complete bike) that I can pick up for roughly $300 and change. Now I know that Whizzer is now mfr'd in Taiwan but is it a better engine to have than the Chinese 2 strokes? From what I have read there are quite a few mods that need to be done before it will even keep up with the 2 stroke.
I do like the drive ring on the Whizzer and think they are more period correct for my build.
Durability is something I want to keep in mind as well.
Please chime in as soon as you can. I don't think the Whizz will be around long at that price.

Thanks for your help.
SS

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
From what little I know of the newer Whizzers, I would pick it up over a 66cc china girl any day. You need to spend time and $ modding a china girl anyway to make them reliable-ish, so I would start with a better base like the Whizzer in a heartbeat.

I assume you will be using pretty much everything off the donor bike except the frame, right? If so, that seems like a great place to start.

SHEW SHOW

Aug 31, 2012
NC
Well, I have already purchased a Monarch springer fork and a set of worksman wheels, but I would do that anyway.
I really didn't want to spend the extra dough. This motorized bicycle thing was supposed to be my "cheap" hobby. LOL

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Cheap - hobby - no, don't understand - error - redo from start -rebootrebootreboot - warning Will Robinson

All hobbies start out cheap and sort of escalate. One thing I will say is that from what I know of Taiwanese products, they embrace the Japanese philosophy of getting it right in the first place, as opposed to the Chinese one of throw it together quick, get it out of the door.

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
The new Whizzer has some issues, but they can be fixed. It'll prolly cost a few hundred bucks and then you'll have a reliable, 35 mph bike. Can be hopped up to do 45-50 mph.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
And the sound and style will be so much closer to a borad tracker as well. Just a thought, that's all.

SHEW SHOW

Aug 31, 2012
NC
I spoke to the guy with the Whizzer this afternoon and not extremely happy with the lack of knowledge of the bikes background. Apparently he picked it up from a fellow about three months ago, that had it in his garage with several other motorcycles. The fellow told him that he had picked it up in a yard sale. (Which isn't always a bad thing.) Anyway, he says that it is missing the air cleaner and doesn't idle or run well without it. Me not having any knowledge of these motors don't know if this would effect it that badly. (I wouldn't think so) Other than that, the speedo was missing when he bought it and has no idea how many miles are on the bike.
Does this still sound like the best route?

Thanks again,
SS

goog

Sep 16, 2012
Ct.
Not much is guaranteed anymore but I would do it.If you do and it does not work out you can blame me. :>)

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
Hello,

I have been looking on this site for some time now and currently working on a board track style bike, starting with a Firestone Pilot canvas. Year of bike unknown but thinking late 40's.
Anyway, I have been looking around at the different engines (mostly the 2cycle 66cc) and had almost decided on the right fit.
Today I ran across a 2005 Whizzer NE5 (complete bike) that I can pick up for roughly $300 and change. Now I know that Whizzer is now mfr'd in Taiwan but is it a better engine to have than the Chinese 2 strokes? From what I have read there are quite a few mods that need to be done before it will even keep up with the 2 stroke.
I do like the drive ring on the Whizzer and think they are more period correct for my build.
Durability is something I want to keep in mind as well.
Please chime in as soon as you can. I don't think the Whizz will be around long at that price.

Thanks for your help.
SS
just so you know thats a $1700 bike new and i thought the one i still want to kill myself for not having the money to buy at $650 was a good deal a stock whizzer will blow a 66cc china engine away a modded one will keep up with a 99cc predator another thing is it has everything on it to keep the cops away

its a 4 stroke also so reliability wont be a problem if you get it to run right the china 2 stroke is a 50/50 in that respect

SHEW SHOW

Aug 31, 2012
NC
Ok Goog, if this goes bad it falls on you. LOL!
I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I pick it up this weekend. dance1

As far as the "cheap hobby" comment goes, it is far less expensive than my hot rod passion. Although I have found that I already have 3 bike projects laying around since starting only 3 months ago! How did that happen? lol

Thanks for the help. (I think)
SS

Oh BTW, my wife already dis-likes all of you. Especially you goog. LMAO!
jk

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Well, now yer wife can blame me too SS. The filter is probably not the problem. A dirty carb is more likely. Or perhaps an old spark plug. And YES, for the price you stole it.
fatdaddy.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Shew, I play guitars, and for a while, I was suffering with a plague of amplifiers. Every time I turned round, there was another one. Now I'm down to 2, sorry, 3. Hang on a minute... 6.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Ok Goog, if this goes bad it falls on you. LOL!
I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I pick it up this weekend. dance1

As far as the "cheap hobby" comment goes, it is far less expensive than my hot rod passion. Although I have found that I already have 3 bike projects laying around since starting only 3 months ago! How did that happen? lol

Thanks for the help. (I think)
SS

Oh BTW, my wife already dis-likes all of you. Especially you goog. LMAO!
jk
Hahaha...just be glad you don't live on the west coast, your cheap hobby could turn to racing as well and cost you another couple grand $$$ :)

Cheap hobby......it's a way off life laff

brnot

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I've just retired from racing. I now look forward to the return of my bank balance.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
thanks for the link i might see what can be done to include us in there races if a few of us went i bet they would make some space or at least let us race for fun without points

SHEW SHOW

Aug 31, 2012
NC
Well as (my) luck would have it, the S.O.B. that I was buying the Whizzer from sold it out from underneath me! :-||I spoke to him Thursday night and told him that I would take it and asked if he needed a deposit. He told me no that I could just pay him for it when I picked it up on Sunday. I then told him that I would contact him over the weekend with a time for Sunday an left it at that.
I contacted him first thing Saturday morning (as I said I would) and he told me that since he hadn't heard from me that Friday evening that he wasn't sure I was still interested so he sold it to the next in line.
For those of you that are going to say it... YES I know that I should have made time that very evening to go pick it up, but being a family man it's easier said than done sometimes. Especially when it's 95 miles away.
Anyway, I guess it's back to the China girl.
Any suggestions on who to buy from before I pull the trigger?
I was originally going to buy from Pirate Cycles but can't get an answer on the phone or an email answered so that's out.