Auto shifting.

GoldenMotor.com

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Re: auto shift bikes

I've got a Land Rider auto shift bike. I've installed a Staton crank drive kit. I manually shift the front three gears and the rear seven shift automatically. There's other auto shift systems out there and I was trying to find out if anybody has tried anything with them. I know of one person who tried using the Land Rider rear derailleur on an electric bike but couldn't get it to work right. Two others have put a GEBE on Land Rider bikes. However with this setup their engine can only drive a single ratio. They have 14 gears in which they can peddle assist the engine. Since I use a crank drive system my engine can drive 21 gears and I can also peddle assist in all 21 gears. The 28 ring is the steep uphill gear (8+ mph), the 34 ring is the level ground gear (30 mph) and the 42 ring is the downhill gear (45+ mph).

oldcliff

Feb 9, 2009
Wilmington Ohio

I am in the process of mounting a Sachs 50 cc engine on an old Huffey "dial a ride" bicycle. It has an automatic drive on the output sprocket. The engine is called a Sachonette and is commonly used on Artic Cat minibikes. The rear sprocket is the same one used on Grubbee kits.

oldcliff

Feb 9, 2009
Wilmington Ohio

On my Sachs engine the autoshift is with the engine. I think this engine was produced for minibikes. It has a rope start. (can't start it through the pedals.)

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN

Are you talking about the 47 cc engine with the two speed automatic transmission? Hope to be able to see what you do with it soon.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan

I test-rode an autoshift bicycle in the summer of 2009, found it gimmicky. It's a neat system for those who don't know/like the act of shifting gears properly.
The mechanism senses load and shifts the ratio up or down automatically for the rider.

If you're an experienced bicycle rider, you probably won't like the system (unless you are really sick of shifting), and I wouldn't motorize one.
You kinda defeat it's purpose that way.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
How much longer am I going to be alone? I often sit and wonder when others will join me in a world where their motorized bikes shift gears automatically. I get looks of amazement as I ride by people and they hear my bike shifting gears. Then there's the looks I get as I go by the peddle only bikes on the steep hills. For now all I can do is wait for the day when others join me in the world of automatic shifting motorized bicycles.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Hey Jerry, VERY cool. It looks a little complicated and a lot of people may not have the skill required to build it. But I sure like the idea of an auto shift. I think it may even be legal in California since theres no manual shifting. I'm gonna check it out anyway.
fatdaddy.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Hi Jerry, do you mean those auto-shifting rear derailleurs? With a shift kit I'd be worried about it 'hard thunk' shifting, and undue strain and all that. Have pics handy?

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
This is exactly how I feel. I have an auto-shifter sitting around. However I have not motorized it due to lack of load control while shifting.
With the standard manual shifting method you can ease the shifting load/shock.

Hi Jerry, do you mean those auto-shifting rear derailleurs? With a shift kit I'd be worried about it 'hard thunk' shifting, and undue strain and all that. Have pics handy?

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I've managed to make it work. I do let off the gas when changing the front three drives. The key is to accelerate steady. It's not a drag racing bike, full throttle on take off. I use the 28 drive for steep uphill (7+ mph). The 34 drive is level ground (30 mph). And the 42 drive is downhill (45+ mph). When coming to a stop keep the peddles rotating and this will put you back in first gear on the rear wheel. You can see pictures of the bike by going to my profile and viewing my album.

I wish I could afford to motorize a bike with a Shimano Alfine Di2 eleven speed electronic auto shift system. I know of one person who tried to use a Nuvinci electronic system but couldn't get it to work. I feel developing automatic shifting systems will be the answer for states who don't allow manual shifting but have steep hills.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Perhaps I will dig out my old auto shifter and put an engine on it. The smallest engine I have is 50cc. Would rather go with 30cc for this project, will just go easy and see how it works.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I don't think you're alone Jerry.

I'm trying to get a 'round tuit' so I can build with the CVT I got from another member.

These small engines really do need all the help you can lend them. :)

Best
rc

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
There is little doubt in my mind that the best use of these small engines is with shifting gears. I have done several DIY manual shift setups. This auto shift should be interesting. I do not have type of shifter you have, mine is one of those centrifgual shifters. However I think I can optomize the weights.
Not sure that I will get to jump right on this project, as I have so many MB projects. However this thread has motovated me.