Muffler broke while riding

GoldenMotor.com

heretolearn

Dec 12, 2011
Texas
Hello, Im Joe From Texas, I had some bad luck today also. I was riding when I heard my engine sounding different. I looked and the muffler had broke and was hanging by the tube all loose and the engine was making spattering noises that were more apparent when I let off the throttle. I drove it two miles like that to get home. At home I had a new muffler from a kit I just bought so I put it on. I noticed the sound was still there and the engine will only go to 25 then it loses power and goes to about 21 then back up after a while. Im wondering if those two miles I drove it with a broke muffler did the newly broke in motor bad.

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
I assume you are talking about a China Doll 2 stroke. As long as the studs going into the engine are fine, you should be able to put a new muffler exhaust pipe on. If the tube coming out of the engine is fine and only the muffler itself broke, I can't imagine that would hurt the engine.
It almost sounds like the engine is 4 stroking. Look it up on youtube so you can hear an engine 4 stroking and let us know if that is what it is doing.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Either that or you blew a head gasket. Any traces of exhaust between the head and cylinder. Do you have the stock head studs and were they torqued properly?

heretolearn

Dec 12, 2011
Texas
Hi there, I looked up four stroking and it sounds like the noise my engine is doing. It wasnt doing that before the muffler broke and the replacement muffler I put on was from a boy go fast kit. The new muffler seemed some how a bit lighter in weight than the old one. I always make sure everything is tight before a ride and at the time this happened I checked head studs and they were fine. I will probably try an expansion chamber muffler with an upgraded carb to see how that works if I cant get the noise to go away on its own. Oh and did I mention loss of power. Thanks guys for the replys

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Depending on the age of your original muffler, it might not have been a catalytic converter type and the new one is. There could be more restriction with the cat muffler. Compare them and let us know what you find.

Running a 2 stroke engine without some back pressure (no muffler) can cause an over lean condition that might have damaged your piston and cylinder walls resulting in a loss of compression. That would explain the decrease in power.
Tom

heretolearn

Dec 12, 2011
Texas
Well I put on a new muffler and strapped it down with a pipe tie as the one shown in the picture but even with that the damn muffler snapped of the pipe clamp and I dont know why it is doing that. I included pics of my set up to see if there is anything I dont see. Im stumped on why my engine is vibrating to the point of breaking mufflers and straps used to tie it down..shft.