New To This

GoldenMotor.com

nickolas896

Nov 2, 2011
West MI
I've never modded a bike before, but I'm planning on motorizing one this winter. I'm just looking for some suggestions on some ideas I've been having on how to go about this project. My plan is this: mount a high cc chainsaw motor (no I'm not using the standard kits for this) over the back tire on something similar to a luggage rack, put a sprocket/derailleur setup on the left side of the tire in addition to the pedal powered one on the right side, and run the chain from the motor down to this sprocket. I'm hoping this would allow a higher top speed than just a one speed setup. What I'm wondering is essentially weather or not this sounds like it will work, and any suggestions on better ways of doing it. Thanks!

cool_x

Nov 3, 2011
canada
hi. i'm a newbie member of motorbicycling.com. just got my first bike. oh please if there's anyone that can help me. just bought a 2-stroke 49cc cruiser bicycle. the guy who sold me moved back to germany and didn't tell me how to care for the bike. i accidentally used 1 liter of oil to a gallon of gas. please help me how to drain it and if you can teach me to properly start or ride the bike? how should i store it for the winter? i'm in alberta and temp. can go too -43C deg.thanks so much.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Where abouts are you? I'm going to guess up around Edmonton based on the temp you mentioned.
I know we have some members on your side of the mountains, there might be someone close by.

As for draining your tank, the best I've managed on my own was:
1. Close the petcock (fuel valve)
2. Disconnect the fuel line from the carb (there will be a dribble from the line, have a rag handy)
3. Take the gas cap off. Put the end of the fuel line into a gas can, and open the petcock. It should drain out.

When I've had to do this I've usually found something to stand the gas can on so I don't have to hold it so I can tinker on other things nearby.

With the high oil mix, you might want to put some 'clean' gas in the tank and swish it around and drain it off.

On the upside, you will be able to blend your heavy premix with fresh to fill the tank for a while. You are at a 5:1 mix right now, I think if you add half a liter of that to 2 liters of gas you'll hit 25:1. You'll probably want to get it higher than that. I'm sure someone else here will recommend a better mix for you based on the running conditions you have there.

Starting it depends on what it's got on it. I hit the primer button on the carb a few times and close the choke (lever up), then I just pedal up to 5-10 k/ph, let the clutch lever go and it coughs, catches and starts. After 5-30 seconds (depending on how cold and damp it is) the engine settles a little, I open the choke (lever down) and take off.

I'd recommend staying away from heavy traffic areas until you've gotten used to it if you can. These little motors can surprise you when you're not expecting it.

cool_x

Nov 3, 2011
canada
correct! i'm in edmonton. thanks ctripps. so does that mean i need to unscrew right below the fuel on-off? i tried to loosen the clamp and tried pulling the hose out but it was too tight. got scared might not be able to connect it back. i have a small button on the left and an up and down lever on the right.

cool_x

Nov 3, 2011
canada
btw i drove it for 20 minutes with this ratio. i lived in richmond bc. moved here 'coz of work. sure miss bc.

cool_x

Nov 3, 2011
canada
wasn't sure how i drove it. just fiddled with the lever though i stalled about 5x. that's why i need to really know how to operate it. and you're right it was scary. had a hard time turning.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Once you've made a third post you can attach pics and it'll be easier to give you advice.

The button on the left is the primer, the lever is the choke. If you're curious about what the lever does, check the pics I posted in http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=34764 this thread If the fuel line isn't in great shape, you might want to get a new piece before you try it, in case you have to replace it. It should pull off at the carb, but if it's old line it'll probably split or crack when you pull it off.

There's a link to a video around here someone posted a while ago of his ride around the park. What struck me most about it was listening to the way the engine was used through the course. It's hard to explain right now, but it's a good guide on when to grab the clutch lever for turns and when to let it out again. I'll see if I can find it.
I have had bad luck being powered through a turn once (and a few close calls), so I always grab the lever and coast/brake into turns and use the motor to pull out of them. The higher the speed, the wider the arc you're going to make.

I live in Van, and (for now) work in Richmond. I ride every day that I can for work. The fuel savings alone has more than paid for the motor. I will take the car when I have to, or need to, but any day that starts with a ride is already a better day, no matter what happens after that.

I spent a couple of weeks in Edmonton, and decided it wasn't the place for me. I was there in August, and it was barely shirtsleeves-warm (for me), around 20 C/68 F. The guys I was overseeing were complaining of the heat, and I'd finally taken my jacket off. Where I lived before I moved out here, it wasn't unusual for the temp to hit 38-40 C/100-104 F with 100% humidity some days in August. I'm not a fan of the rainy season here, but from March through October it's a good place to be. :)

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Cool. I would recommend a trip to your local NAPA store, there you can get 3/16" ID fuel line, new hose clamps and a new spark plug wire (8mm) and boot to replace the stock wire and boot from the CDI. Making a new plug wire and putting it on took me less than 5 minutes and it's something I'd never done before. If you use the custom search at the top of the page you'll find all you need to know on that.

The best plug to use for the job in your area is something someone else will know a lot more about. I'm running a B5HS and I'm happy with it. How much longer do you have left in the 'riding season' there?

cool_x

Nov 3, 2011
canada
well strong wind is coming down fast. it's -18c in grand prairie now with the windchill. they are forecasting snow by weekend. but they've been wrong before.some days it's really cold and rainy. today wasn't so bad.7deg sunny.i'll look into that. sure would like to ride if i can.i'll check with u tomorrow.nyt