Dressing things up a bit.

GoldenMotor.com

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Ran and got a cheap cotton wheel set last night and spent some free time polishing the covers today and then I decided to dress the edges of the fins. :D

Attachments

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Right on, looks good man! I took some 320grit to my covers, but your's look way better! Cotton wheel, eh? *on the list now :)

edit- Did you use any polishing compound?

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Looks nice, you guys. I think I may try the mag polish I used on my aluminum canoe sidecar. I had a big buffer for that with scraps of inside out sweatshirt as covers for the bonnet... threw the cloth away when loaded with black and attached a fresh one. I'll try the same thing with a buffing disk for a drill, see how that works.
SB

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Actually they stared out black, went over them with the belt sander first to smooth the casting then the random orbital with a 120 pad. And yes I used compound sticks, settled on just tripoli and white rouge, the black emery really isn't needed on aluminum. Started out using a hand drill then I thought to myself "dummy you HAVE a drill press!" laff

Funny thing about stripping the paint, I used orange stripper and let all the pieces sit overnight, the paint on the clutch and sprocket cover just fell off when I rinsed them under some water but the stripper didn't even touch the paint on the mag cover and I ended up having to sand it off.