Huffy Cranbrook or Schwinn Jaguar

GoldenMotor.com

lamarenzo

Sep 29, 2009
indiana
huffy i like schwinn but the huffy is basic so it allows me to have more money to upgrade what i want of the bike.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I had originally planned on doing bike specific kits. A better plan was to create parts that can be fitted to a large percentage of the bikes that are readily available. This helps to keep costs down.

The motor mount is finished, and will fit a wide variety of bicycle makes/models.

By ordering the individual components, the builder gets a kit that eliminates 90% of the hassles associated with installing the HT engine.

Manic Mechanic

Jim

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I had originally planned on doing bike specific kits. A better plan was to create parts that can be fitted to a large percentage of the bikes that are readily available. This helps to keep costs down.

The motor mount is finished, and will fit a wide variety of bicycle makes/models.

By ordering the individual components, the builder gets a kit that eliminates 90% of the hassles associated with installing the HT engine.

Manic Mechanic

Jim
That sounds wise, Jim. You never know if Schwinn or Huffy decides to pull a model anyway. I'll be interested to see how these may apply to older bikes, say Schwinns from the fifties and sixties. Frame designs were the same for many models. We'll learn as we go which bikes use the same mount configuration and a data base will grow. Sounds good.
SB

Greased

Oct 15, 2009
MI
1 vote Schwinn. Make a quality kit for a quality bike. And people will buy it.
Let me know, **** I might buy it.

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
First my vote, Huffy Cranbrook, I just bought one for this project. Second is there a comercially alvil bracket yet for the motor mount?
I wouldn't hesitate to buy Huffy. The house version is FAR superior to the model they sell Walmart. Huffy will stand behind their product and go the extra mile to be sure you are satisfied.
I hvn't paid much attention to Schwinn but I'll bet it isn't as good as the origional stuff. It's a shame Arnold, Sam, Col Sanders, and Walt Disney can't come back long enough to kick some major A--.

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
I have a recently completed Jaguar. I think the same frame is used on several Schwinns so the Jag mount might be better. Something to be considered in a kit would be a chain length that would eliminate the dreaded chain tensioner. My experience with my kit was that it reayy was not a turn key build (lotta problems) It is a really good idea and a nice tuned kit that would bolt up would sure be worth it.

Jim C

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have a recently completed Jaguar. I think the same frame is used on several Schwinns so the Jag mount might be better. Something to be considered in a kit would be a chain length that would eliminate the dreaded chain tensioner. My experience with my kit was that it reayy was not a turn key build (lotta problems) It is a really good idea and a nice tuned kit that would bolt up would sure be worth it.

Jim C
Jim,
Its not chain length that dictates if a tensioner is required but frame design and clearance. A bike equipped with with horizontal drop outs and chain stays wide enough for chain clearance does not require a tensioner. Many have successfully gone that route. Consider using the tensioner on the pedal chain and maintaining engine chain tension by either shimming the engine at the rear mount or, if you have them, use the drop out adjustment and half links. The Jag is a great platform for a motorized bicycle; I have two of them and their only shortcoming is the close coupled seat. A lay-back seat post greatly improves the comfort of the ride.
Tom