What is the best sprocket to get for speed?.

GoldenMotor.com

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Some say 36 and others say the sweet spot is with a 40. I think a lot of it depends on the size of the rider.

Personally I picked up 10mph by switching from the stock 44 to a 36 but I also added an expansion chamber as well.

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

Generally speaking you get about 1 MPH for every tooth you drop from the 44T (assuming a 26" wheel).....I think somebody calculated the exact number to be about .8 MPH but I typically round to 1 MPH for ease of calculating...

FWIW - I am running a 36T on my bike (has a tuned pipe and a Dax "80" and I wish I went smaller....I weigh about 155 and live in somewhat hilly VA)...If you are on the flats, want to cruise at fairly high speeds and don't weigh an excessive amount:confused: then you should be fine going small on the rear sprocket.

Andrew

athletichunta

Jul 22, 2010
florida
Well my Bike has pretty bad acceleration and pickup to begin with, its a beach cruiser 26inch scwin with a 4 stroke motor. Will it even work with a 36t sprocket?.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm in the 40T sprocket club.... I'm 210 lbs, & the 40T sprocket is a good compromise between more top speed & still being able to climb hills.

I've used 36Ts in the past with mixed results. Not every engine has the power needed to pull that high of a gear.
Someone like Bairdco (who weighs 135 lbs) can run small sprockets like that without any problems; I can't.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yup. i'm running a 28t now. it's a little slower (very little) off the line, but i also have 24" wheels, so there's less rolling resistance and quicker acceleration compared to a 26".

i have a 26" bike with a 34t, and it takes off much slower, and takes awhile to get up to top speed.

there is a lot of other factors involved, though. the 26 is heavier, and it has a basically stock motor that hasn't had all the crazy work done to it like my 24. it's also a Grubee GT5 Skyhawk, while my 24 has a GT4 Starfire. personally, i think the GT4, which according to Grubee has slightly less horsepower than the GT5, is a stronger motor.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I only have experience with my EZ kit, so I am afraid I can't reccomend anything for you
I can still hit 30mph (1.5X the legal speed limit here in AZ <20mph>) with a big 72tooth sprocket

what drive are you using???

I believe the grubees come stock with a 50, and the hoots come with a 56