Fire

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
As some of you know I was about to make my annual migration from my winter job as a caretaker/handyman in Maryland to my home in northeastern Minnesota. Over the past few days I've packed up my bikes, a 39 Elgin which was the subject of my part in the Rustoration thread over the winter, a 38 Elgin, a 55 Huffman, a 63 American Deluxe and a newish Huffy. Three had motors on them. Also in the truck I had all of my tools, chainsaw, clothing, computer, personal belongings and four roof trusses I had dismantled to use in building a bicycle shop this summer. I had a lot of bike parts, gas tanks I made, headlights, tail lights and other things I hoped to sell this summer as the beginning of a little motorbicycle business to supplement social security. I got paid for my work by the owner here and planned to leave at dawn in the morning, so went in to town to gas up. When I got home I took a shower and figured on an early to bed to rest up for thirteen hundred miles of highway. I've been so homesick, so anxious to get back to the forest I call home. I heard loons pass over the other day and whispered to them "I'm coming."
When I stepped out of the shower the owner was frantic and said "Your truck is on fire!" I ran outside and black smoke was billowing from the flame engulfed truck which also burned up the owner's blazer which was sitting next to it. She said that she saw smoke coming from under the hood and the cab was full of smoke. Fire trucks and police arrived pretty quickly considering they had to drive up the mountain, but both vehicles were destroyed including everything I had packed in the truck, which was just about everything I have here. It was a very hot fire and I can see that some of the bike parts are melted... wheels and everything. I imagine some of my tools, the metal parts anyway will be salvageable. Now I have no way home, all of my bikes are destroyed, most of my clothes... not that I really had all that much of what anybody else would consider of value, but it was my stuff. I still have my trailer I live in for the winter months and my dog is OK, but freaked as she saw the fire and has been hanging real close as I packed and knew what was up... that we were going. Not that this is the end of the world. Being hit by lightning was worse for sure, being crippled was pretty bad, so this doesn't compare, but it's a major setback. I didn't know who to tell about this that would care, so I'm telling you guys. Old Silver Bear is feeling pretty low.
Don't know what started the fire, electrical I suppose since it was under the hood or dash, so it had nothing to do with the load, key was not in the ignition and I don't smoke. I guess this could have happened someplace really inconvenient like around Armpit Indiana leaving me stranded or left me and the dog injured, so I guess it could be worse. Truck was only insured for liability. I'm glad the owner has insurance for her Blazer. Thank I'll crack a beer and take the dog for a walk. G'night you guys.
SB

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
All man SB, I thought I was having a bad day. I'm glad to hear no one was hurt including your Dog. That really sucks and I feel for you my friend. One thing I can say is you have the right attitude about the situation, I hope things start looking up for you.

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I am so sorry. You are such a considerate guy giving so much time to helping others on this forum. Like fairracing said you have a good attitude. Its kind of crazy how we all get up in the morning thinking everything is going to go right and then something like this happens. I am glad you and the dog are ok.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Bear,
If there is anything I can offer, please let me know. I'm here, old friend and my heart goes out to you. Thank Heaven neither you or the puppy dog were injured. Please let us know how we can help.
Tom

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Now I feel kinda bad too. Not so many posts ago I put out a little rant about when my Puch got stolen. But I can't imagine this sort of thing. That's a blow. I'd send you my old Kent Glendale, but you might throw it all the way back to me. (It isn't too Godawful for what it is, and that's probably damning with faint praise.)
I've lost an "antique" Huffy, a beautiful Bianchi, and a rockin' Puch. But not all at once. I truly, sincerely, wish there were something I could do to help. Meanwhile, I wish you nothing but the best from here on out.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Silverbear I am sorry for your loss but glad you and your dog are ok. You have the right attitude, stuff is just stuff and can be replaced. Any way I can help let me know. I don't have much but will do what I can. You are one of my favorite people on this board.

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Wow, silverbear...

I'm really glad you and the dog are OK.

Do you need help getting home? If so, I'm in for $40. I've still got your PayPal address. Please let me know. You've got my phone number.

JC

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
I for one am also financially strapped but if there is anything I can do to help out don't hesitate to ask. Hey guys isn't there a way we can start a "get SB home" fund or something? I know there is a way we can do this. I mean isn't that why we are here to help out each other?

SB hush it ain't charity when it's for family!

I don't have much but I will give what I have.

God bless you Sb and the pup both don't worry we'll get you home Bro.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Silverbear,
So very sorry to hear about this. Just when your ready to roll home, too. Don't know what else to say.
Pat

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Hi all:

Silverbear is a great guy to deal with and a valuable contributor to this site.

Let's do him a favor and keep this thread near the top of the page until he gets back to us.

Please give our friend a bump to the top of the page until he's back home.

JC

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
SB,
Sorry for your losses. Good attitude. that'll make all the difference. My prayers.

Mac

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss silverbear, I've come to consider you a friend I've not met yet and although I'm deeply relieved that you and Aaniimoosh are ok - it wrenches my heart to hear of your losses.

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
all i can say is wow, i would have a completely different atitude on the situation i hope the best for ya, and am glad to hear you and your dog are ok. I am sorry to hear of the loss, and hope the best for you and your dog.
Cogswelln

Status
Not open for further replies.