Quiet Ride

GoldenMotor.com

WarriorAirman

Aug 5, 2013
Hanscom AFB, Ma
I live on an Air Force Base and there is a noise ordinence my engine is too loud with the stock exhaust. What is the best way to quiet my ride as much as possible. Thank you.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I live on an Air Force Base and there is a noise ordinence my engine is too loud with the stock exhaust. What is the best way to quiet my ride as much as possible. Thank you.
What ride? You don't say so I will assume you have a 66 cc China Girl.

Pedal the bike on base, it's really quiet. :)

Put a silencer on like this.
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ducts_id=78&osCsid=kbubbnvb3pgtoda6nkoob6na25

A lot of the noise comes from the gears so greasing them and adding a
silencing material like this kills the gear noise and ringing sound..

Putting rubber blocks or tubing between the cylinder fins helps too.

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ucts_id=140&osCsid=kbubbnvb3pgtoda6nkoob6na25

If all fails get a 4 Stroke.......

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Go electric........they're silent! zpt

...mostly :p

TBH I'm only mentioning it b'cause I kinda dig the tron like whine of the motor under load, faint tho it may be lol

The big 'lectrics can get pretty loud actually, comparatively speakin' ofc & nothing like the gassers, but I'm sure you know this ;)

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
...mostly :p

TBH I'm only mentioning it b'cause I kinda dig the tron like whine of the motor under load, faint tho it may be lol

The big 'lectrics can get pretty loud actually, comparatively speakin' ofc & nothing like the gassers, but I'm sure you know this ;)
Who me? What would I know? laff I'm still a kid.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Extending the pipe to the rear and adding a second silencer really quiets the HT's down. Try something like this with a small added muffler at the rear.

I did one out of conduit with a small briggs muffler like MotorBicycleRacing posted and it was very quiet.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Airman.

An after market muffler would help and any not pointed at the ground at a 45 degree angle would help not echo/bounce the sound/shock wave and "bounce" the noise at people.

I kinda forgot about this experiment yrs back but my thinking is/was that 2 strokes are not all that loud but that the 2 stroke sound is somehow grating to the ear. (I am assuming you have a China girl?) So was thinking a high temperature hose between the bend and muffler would help greatly. I ran one like this but was using a non heat rated hose. Engine worked fine. But then the hose melted and Tom made fun of me for a week, snork. ("...so how'd that smell Dan?)

Another, cheaper experiment I never got around to was attaching a can, partially filled with non-soaped brillo like material, just past the exhaust outlet. It would "catch", defuse and release the sound/shock wave back out and up. I have not tried this so please take it with a grain of salt.

The reason I lost track of trying these things is I primarily use 4 strokes now and the biggest puzzle with them is DIY gear reduction and mounting.

Kinda glad you brought this up. Gonna try the can thing just to see if it works.