Modifying Staton Friction To Chain Drive

GoldenMotor.com

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
HI IZZY, I DID GET THE PARK BIKE STAND. THE CVT IS BELT DRIVE, SPRING LOADED SHEAVES (PULLEYS) THAT CHANGE RATIO WITH TORQUE AND RPM. THEY HAVE BEEN ON SNOWMOBILES FOR MANY YEARS NOW. MAINLY TROUBLE FREE. I HAVE THE CHAIN TYPE ALSO. THEY BOTH WILL BOLT TO THE SUBARU IF IT HAS THE 78MM CLUTCH DRUM (THE SUBARU WILL FIT). WILL FIT MOST ENGINES FROM 31CC TO 49CC. IF THEY HAVE THE 76 MM CLUTCH SHOES (78MM CLUTCH DRUM) EVEN THE HONDA AND HONDA CLONES. I THINK SOME OF THE 25CC HAVE SMALLER CLUTCH, NOT FOR SURE, NOT TALKING ABOUT WEEDWACKER MOTORS. THE CHAIN DRIVE I HAVE IS 3.25:1 RATIO. I CAN POST OR PM YOU PICS OF THE TRANS TOMORROW IF YOU LIKE. LATER RON r.ly.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Ron, where did you get the cvt belt drive unit from?

And what ratio would you need to work with your 3.25 unit?

Myron

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
5-7. If You Had A 49cc Pocket Bike Motor With The 3.25 Ratio Chain Drive Gearbox. You Would Need One Of "dax" 10 Tooth Sprockets On The Chain Drive Splined Shaft And Run The Chain To A 50 Tooth Rear Wheel Sprocket Giving You A Final Ratio Of 16.25 To 1. That Would Compare To A China Girl 49cc Engine Running A 40 Tooth Rear Wheel Sprocket = 16.4 To 1 Ratio. The Variable Belt Drive Engine Combo I Found On Craigslist. I Received The First One Yesterday. I Paid With Paypal Again Last Nite For The Other 2 Units He Was Holding For Me. I Don`t Know Where You Will Find Anymore. It Took Me Almost A Year To Find Them. They Are Allways Out Of Stock. He Buys Odd Lots, If He Finds Anymore He Will Call Me. The Chain Drive 3.25 Came With A 17 Tooth Sprocket = 8mm Pitch (tooth Tip To Tip) Much Closer Together Than A Bicycle Chain. To Use The 17 Tooth You Would Need A 85 Tooth Rear Wheel Sprocket To Have A 16.25 Final Ratio. It Would Be Much Easier To Use The 5:1 Gear Box Like Dax, And His 10 Tooth Sprocket On The Gear Box Then 36 Tooth On Bike Wheel (front Or Back) Total Ratio 18:1.. Hope This Helps. I Am Not Sure About The Chain Sizes For The Original Sprockets On These Gear Box`s. The Ebay Sellers Don`t Answer My Questions About Chain Pitch Etc. They Just State Which Models They Fit. Also The Chains Seem Costly For The Length Of Them Plus Shipping. I Hope This Answers Your Questions. The China Girl Kits Are Hard To Beat, Cost Wise. Ron

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
izzy, i forgot to mention, i think i have seen pictures of the chain drive transmissions with cvt stamped or cast on them causing some confusion. the chain drive i have is 3.25 ratio and has HR within a circle cast into the housing. i just checked the belt drive, the chrome plastic belt cover has CVT molded into it. ron

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Hi All, (fred, Izzy, 5-7) You All May Have Seen My New Build (diy Cvt Belt Drive Free Wheel) It Works Better Than I Hoped. The Free Wheel On The Real Axle Is The Only Way To Go If Possible. It Has To Be Rite Hand Drive Or A Jackshaft. By Using A Rear Wheel With The Cassette Off And Screw On A Freewheel & Sprocket For A Front Wheel Drive, Would Be Fairly Easy. Have Any Seen The Belt Build? Ron

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
thefastest

Are you refering to the gear reduction built into the cvt belt drive??

I even have a hard time understanding my old post`s!! lol.

A lot of the things are confusing at first.

What are you thinking of building? The 4 stroke Harbor Freight engines are getting very popular, dependable and good sales prices.

Ron

thefastest

Oct 17, 2011
Georgia
Well I mean on the staton kit what does the gearbox due on it and do you know of anyone who has set up a good HF engine build.
Thanks Rob
usflg

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Well I mean on the staton kit what does the gearbox due on it and do you know of anyone who has set up a good HF engine build.
Thanks Rob
usflg
Rob, the Staton gearbox reduces the gear ratio to 18.75:1. You cannot just bolt an engine onto your bike, run a sprocket on the back wheel and expect the bike to work. It's like a car. If your vehicle has four speeds, you won't do well starting off in fourth gear all the time, right? So, the Staton gearbox is like a gear between second and third gear. After a slow start, the gearbox allows the engine to wind up and perform well enough.

Now if you wanted exciting performance, you use a shift kit and connect to the bike's 8-speed cassette. From a standing start to highway speeds, the shift kit is DA BOMB!dance1

thefastest

Oct 17, 2011
Georgia
Hey so are you saying i just need the jackshaft or do I need both gear box and jackshaft to reach good speeds........also what is a good setup for climbing hills in your experience? Thanks !!!!!
Robdnut

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
thefastest

Usually a jackshaft will give you enough gear ratio to do the job, Jackshaft`s are more dependable than a lot of the gear box`s and you can change sprockets or pulleys to change the ratio`s.

As 5-7 posted, the 49cc engine`s usually require 18:1 ratio neighbor hood.
The 5:1 gear box is a very good unit, it is reverse rotation.

Ron

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
When you think about it, if you gear it according to its needs, any engine that will fit onto a bicycle can be made to perform well. That's a very general statement and of course it depends if you're looking for top speed or hillclimbing ability.

I progressed from years of friction drive to using a shift kit. Friction drive was a good learning experience for me. However, a center-mounted engine and a shift kit is EXACTLY what I need to commute, hills or flat ground, rain or shine. dance1