New technical update on the new intake!

GoldenMotor.com

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Hey everybody, Well I've been doing a lot of research on the intricate dynamics on these port scavenged engines. Sorry I took down the reworked engines, I decided to use them for my own purposes. The just installed the Skyhawk engine I had on ebay using the new intake I developed. Jeez, you guys, it's actually disgusting how much low end torque the engine has. I almost can't believe it! I'm 190 pounds and I've got a 30 tooth sprocket, and the thing pulls hard right from like 1500 RPM and right up to rev. limit. I don't know why the GT5 skyhawk engine with the larger intake port helps and compared to the older 66cc engine that I was using. It used to start pulling at 13 MPH, now it's starting to pull at like 10 MPH! I have revised the description for this manifold, which includes my best understanding why this new design works so well. I hope some of you experimenters try this, so someone else other than me is talking about it. Here's the link in case you are still curious:
Thanks, Fred
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130692956267?item=130692956267&viewitem=&vxp=mtr#ht_1883wt_1110

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Well Mr. bigbutterbean, I guess you like to speak you mind with little regard to how it makes people feel. Please do not buy my intake then. The price I charge for what I make is the lowest price that I can justify in order to keep my doors open. Any lower of a price, and I might as well throw them in the scrap pile. I make these in the United States: You can't apply the Chinese prices you are used to on custom, limited production US made products. You don't know what the manufacturing costs were involved with making this product. You can be assured I'm not charging a penny for development and testing costs. I do that on my own because I am personally interested in motorized bicycling. Can't you see that your kind of attitude only perpetuates the fall of American innovation and manufacturing? I will not let your bad attiude tarnish my spirit.

Last edited:

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
i agree, 60 bucks is alot for an intake with no proof of power gain other than yours, you could do a limited run of 5 or so at cost or a little higher than cost to some forum members and then ask for their feed back on the intake.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
BBB, not the first time you've "offered" you terrible advice, especially when it comes to how someone runs their business.

Until YOU do it, it would be best if you kept you uneducated comments/opinions to yourself.

One of your other persona/usernames was banned from this site for telling a proven vendor how to run his business, then arguing about it when you were asked to drop it....remember?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
P.S., your not doing much to prove out your "signature" with your behaviour either. Since you seem to be triumphant only at spewing bad advice to your skilled elders.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
without arguing price or anything else, i'm curious as to if the thing really works. i've built engines with shorty manifolds that have topped out over 60mph (or, 56mph with a GPS and reliable forum members as witnesses.)

in your ebay ad you claim 40mph with a 30t sprocket and 190lb rider. i know guys who weigh that (and then some) who've reached higher speeds with 36t, or even 40t, with basic, proven mods.

i'm not trying to discredit you or your product. i mean, it might turn out be a radical new design no one's ever thought of before, and i encourage you to keep testing it.

it's your "performance" findings i'm leery of. 35-40 is easily achievable with nothing more than a dremel tool.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I say send one to Bairdco free of charge and let him do the 3rd party testing. He would be the perfect person since he has great knowledge of this motor.

The product is worth the price if it works. I myself very well understand what it takes to make things in the U.S. so keep up the good work CR.

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I concur with Jeff (CCC), that $60 is a fair price for it; (if it works)... I also concur that you should send a free one to Baird to put to the test! If he gives it the 'thumbs up', it will really kick up the sales from members here! ;)

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i would almost consider it,but i dont care for ebay shopping,paypal and sometimes shipping can cost as much as a part.
anything i have purchased under 100.00 usually ends up costing me near double.
best one yet was when i bought a part from a private person for my lathe,i cost like 10.00 more than he was asking.was worth it that time.private sale via money order.

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Hmm. Okay Mr. Bairdco, people think I should send you one of these manifolds for you to test. If that is something you are willing to do, I'd be happy to send you one. why don't you contact me, and I'll be happy to send you one. My email is [email protected]
-Fred

maintenancenazi

Oct 22, 2011
Asheville
Great plan guy's! I will also look forward to hearing the results as well. Baird truly knows how to make these little engines wake up!!

Peace, James xct2

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
i would almost consider it,but i dont care for ebay shopping,paypal and sometimes shipping can cost as much as a part.
anything i have purchased under 100.00 usually ends up costing me near double.
best one yet was when i bought a part from a private person for my lathe,i cost like 10.00 more than he was asking.was worth it that time.private sale via money order.
Okay tooljunkie. With a handle like that, I have a feeling you would be a good candidate for testing the manifold. I see you live in Canada. Fortunately, these are small parts that can fit in a International small flat rate box, and that is quite resonable for shipping.
Thanks, Fred

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
Well, alright guys. I just send Baird a private email, explaining everything I experienced when I put the intake on for the first time, and I'll be sending him one. I also put 10 on ebay at $30.00 ea. in case anyone else is willing to be a test pilot.
Thanks for the thoughtful feedback!
-Fred