Schwinn revival, Build 2

GoldenMotor.com

Kristof

Jan 21, 2011
Aliso Viejo, CA
This is just an example of one of the things that went wrong today(and every day before this)...its like my life is cursed or something.

The Clutch keyway has broken off!!!!?????!!!!!

If I would have been a couple years younger I would have been so pissed(i am pissed, but I dont show it) , but as I got older...things like this just become normal...oh and life is a piece of crap.

Anyway, here is the picture showing the keyway detached from the clutch...
>=(

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
It looks like the clutch hub is machined like that, kinda pear shape, are there torque specs for the nut (or bolt) that holds it to the shaft. I don't think the key is susposed to do more than act as a safty,,and the hold down nut/bolt does the actual work secureing it,kind of like the flywheel and key on top of a 4 stroke lawnmower.
As long as the hub still fits the shaft snugly not woobly,I would think another key and tighten the nut/bolt good and tight.(or to spec's if you got them)

Kristof

Jan 21, 2011
Aliso Viejo, CA
It looks like the clutch hub is machined like that, kinda pear shape, are there torque specs for the nut (or bolt) that holds it to the shaft. I don't think the key is susposed to do more than act as a safty,,and the hold down nut/bolt does the actual work secureing it,kind of like the flywheel and key on top of a 4 stroke lawnmower.
As long as the hub still fits the shaft snugly not woobly,I would think another key and tighten the nut/bolt good and tight.(or to spec's if you got them)
Dude, the key broke off... I know what it looked like before it broke... Without the key, the clutch will keep spinning on the shaft.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Ok,I understand now the key was part of the hub.

*120*//////////////////////////////

My cat actually typed the second line just now and I'm not sure how she did the 120 w/the stars

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
anyway I'm sure the hub has to go against a shoulder on the motor shaft and be held against the shoulder tight,,I thought earlier that the key was like a shear key on a flywheel.The hub must be a lite metal so a file may put a key slot where that piece broke off,I would get a key that fit the shaft and possibly make it a shorter heigth so as not to have to remove much from the hub when fileing a slot to fit the key, with luck just have to flaten the broken area

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Man she sounds great Kristof. Cool build.

Not being a smartarse here but think eventually you might have trouble with the pull-start mechanism. But I use much lesser engines, so if not careful, they fail. Just the way I do it; Turn em over a coupla times then when I feel resistance, let the pull cord retract. Then a long full pull with out jerking it.

Again, great build. Got me thinking Cargo deck and a sort of "MB-Pick-up"

.flg.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Great addition, Dan.
There's a bunch of cargo bikes out there we should clone...
It would ease the major prob we have using a bicycle... just can not carry everyday items conveniently.
(I just GOTTA build a basket and a rack!)

A bike frame like Da-bomb would be great for cargo!
rc

Kristof

Jan 21, 2011
Aliso Viejo, CA
This bike is not that great actually. So far with my 2 stroke build im getting the same amount of speed and torque. The weird thing is, is that im in the process of breaking in my 2 stroke and i am only cruising at 20mph.

My 2 stroke build is hella lot more comfortable to ride than my 4 stroke beast.
2-stroke all the way...until something goes wrong. Cant be to reliant on cheap chinese stuff.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
well said! i like the pick-up idea and were soon find out about trusting the chineeze. 4 strokes thumpers sound so nice. any more mod's? dennis