well I was arested ysterdat for driving my bicycle with engine kit can any body help

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Re: well I was arested ysterdat for driving my bicycle with engine kit can any body h

Nope. I'm up in White Rock B.C. now but lived in Blaine in 1983/84.
This is where I moved from.

Miss the old bar days in Blaine.
Cops were pretty tough in those days.

Steve.

The WANDERER

Jun 30, 2009
G.T.A.
Re: well I was arested ysterdat for driving my bicycle with engine kit can any body h

I'm not from your country and have not read your states highway codes. How old are you? What is suspended and why? I believe that in the states, all traffic violations are handled in a court without a jury but are considered to be criminal offences. I also believe (Americans can back me up here) is that you have a right to a trial by jury, especially since it's supposed to be a criminal offence (is this right brother Americans?). I think this court date is just a hearing to see if a trial is even necessary (think of it like a pre trial, but I dont know how things work where you are). If I were in your position and it looks like this would go to trial, I would ask for trial by jury, they then have to give me a trial by jury (someone correct me if I'm wrong). My belief is that they would not want to go through all the time, trouble, and expense of a jury for a very small matter like yours, though I say this because I belive it's a small matter but it might not be.

Post up all the particlars. Why exactly were you arrested, why specifiaclly? What are the charges against you? Post up the paperwork they gave you here for us to review it (cover up any personal details if you want)

Using a riding lawnmower on private property should be fine, but maybe get a free telephone consultation with a paralegal.

And as stated by others, do tell the judge that it is a bicycle that you put a small motor on and that it is nothing like a moped.
And again as stated, make sure the judge is informed that you were not driving a motor vehicle but that you were riding a bicycle that you put a small engine on.

Your bike sounds cool, post a pic of it.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado

DWLS is a class A misdemeanor and can involve jail time. Its a serious offence and thats why he needs to study his states laws and find out whats up. Unless your state specificly states a motorized bicycle is a motor vehicle it would seem DWLS would'nt apply. These are bicycles with motors that assist you in pedaling them.

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama

RCW 46.04.332
Motor-driven cycle.
"Motor-driven cycle" means every motorcycle, including every motor scooter, with a motor that produces not to exceed five brake horsepower (developed by a prime mover, as measured by a brake applied to the driving shaft). A motor-driven cycle does not include a moped, a power wheelchair, a motorized foot scooter, or an electric personal assistive mobility device.

RCW 46.20.342
Driving while license invalidated — Penalties — Extension of invalidation.
(1) It is unlawful for any person to drive a motor vehicle in this state while that person is in a suspended or revoked status or when his or her privilege to drive is suspended or revoked in this or any other state. Any person who has a valid Washington driver's license is not guilty of a violation of this section.

RCW 46.04.320
Motor vehicle.
"Motor vehicle" means every vehicle that is self-propelled and every vehicle that is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails. "Motor vehicle" includes a neighborhood electric vehicle as defined in RCW 46.04.357. "Motor vehicle" includes a medium-speed electric vehicle as defined in RCW 46.04.295. An electric personal assistive mobility device is not considered a motor vehicle. A power wheelchair is not considered a motor vehicle. A golf cart is not considered a motor vehicle, except for the purposes of chapter 46.61

RCW.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

well I was arested ysterdat for driving my bicycle with engine kit can any body help
In my opinion, I could beat this, and I'm pretty sure you can to.

Here in Texas a Motor Bicycle isn't considered a motor vehicle, (or anything else for that matter) so even if you were driving with a suspended license it shouldn't matter.

What I suggest is study the state statute they will use against you, and understand it so you know it's weakness's. If it's like Texas it'll be loaded with them.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

RCW 46.04.332
Motor-driven cycle.
"Motor-driven cycle" means every motorcycle, including every motor scooter, with a motor that produces not to exceed five brake horsepower (developed by a prime mover, as measured by a brake applied to the driving shaft). A motor-driven cycle does not include a moped, a power wheelchair, a motorized foot scooter, or an electric personal assistive mobility device.

RCW 46.20.342
Driving while license invalidated — Penalties — Extension of invalidation.
(1) It is unlawful for any person to drive a motor vehicle in this state while that person is in a suspended or revoked status or when his or her privilege to drive is suspended or revoked in this or any other state. Any person who has a valid Washington driver's license is not guilty of a violation of this section.

RCW 46.04.320
Motor vehicle.
"Motor vehicle" means every vehicle that is self-propelled and every vehicle that is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails. "Motor vehicle" includes a neighborhood electric vehicle as defined in RCW 46.04.357. "Motor vehicle" includes a medium-speed electric vehicle as defined in RCW 46.04.295. An electric personal assistive mobility device is not considered a motor vehicle. A power wheelchair is not considered a motor vehicle. A golf cart is not considered a motor vehicle, except for the purposes of chapter 46.61

RCW.
This is just like Texas. Nothing here has anything to do with a gas powered motor bicycle.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama

In my opinion, I could beat this, and I'm pretty sure you can to.

Here in Texas a Motor Bicycle isn't considered a motor vehicle, (or anything else for that matter) so even if you were driving with a suspended license it shouldn't matter.

What I suggest is study the state statute they will use against you, and understand it so you know it's weakness's. If it's like Texas it'll be loaded with them.
Here in Texas a Motor Bicycle isn't considered a motor vehicle Read the definition of a motor vehicle again.

RCW 46.04.320
Motor vehicle.
"Motor vehicle" means every vehicle that is self-propelled"

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan

I always make a point to stress that to anyone who asks me about my bikes on the street. The motor is an assist device, despite how a lot of people on here (ab)use theirs. This is not supposed to be an ultralight moped exceeding 30. I'm almost always pedaling, whether I'm accelerating or ghosting at cruise.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida

Sigh.......Shades of 1933 Nazi Germany.......A cop can do ANYTHING he wants .....sad but true .....however.....down here in Florida ( Gainesville ).....the Cops love me .....I've pulled up to many along a stop light ....They give me a thumbs up.....even though down here they need to be registered ....it all depends upon if the cop in question got laid last night !

Salty.shft.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

Sigh.......Shades of 1933 Nazi Germany.......A cop can do ANYTHING he wants .....sad but true .....however.....down here in Florida ( Gainesville ).....the Cops love me .....I've pulled up to many along a stop light ....They give me a thumbs up.....even though down here they need to be registered ....it all depends upon if the cop in question got laid last night !

Salty.shft.
I know what you're saying, it never hurts to be on good terms with the local fuzz. I work in the City-County Building here in Indy, which also houses the Sheriff Dept. and the IMPD. When I rode the old bike, pretty much all of them had seen it. They thought it was cool. Loved the part about the gas-milage. I had no trouble from them.

And you better believe: when I saw a guy on a 49cc scooter get slammed by a PT Cruiser that drove off afterwards, I was calling cops I knew whilst my fellow bus riders were calling 911. We talked the bus driver into telling the other bus drivers. I called up fellow employees who were getting ready to leave for the day, telling them to keep their eyes open. Oh Yeah! You know they caught the guy.

Indy's my turf, and if two-wheelers need looking out for, then I'm game. Car, truck, and van drivers better never let me see them hit a rider and drive away. I'll be all over that.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com

You have missed a point. when you heard one say put the cigaret out or ill push your face in the ground, you have them, no just cause, except you should not have been smoking, maybe. but a good lawyer could get that copper suspended for talking to you like that. i did it once in the uk, they don,t like it, pity you did not have a tape recorder, had you have said, i will report you to the chief, for verbal abuse, they would have run away, and prolly said. Well! don,t do it again, to save face, Worth a try, they don,t like it when you hit back. but if you have other issues, then they could still suspend you, but hit back, i would.
How are you going to prove that?
Do you think the other cop is going to back you up?

Hit back? Thats funny and a bit naive, You will be the one more likely
getting hit lol then getting charged with resisting arrest...

I don't know the tape recording laws in WA. but you usually have to tell them you are recording in most states.
England? your advice doesn't translate very well.

They didn't impound his bike so they can't have been too pissed off or
they were due to take lunch or finish a shift. lol
I don't think they even dragged him down to the station?

There are certain things cops don't like and smoking, eating, talking on the phone etc will get bad results for you when you are pulled over.
I never had any really bad cop incidents but they certainly aren't your friend. Not much good can come of any interaction with them, especially these days with cities needing every dollar to
balance their budgets.

PS: I did like the part in the story about "public pretender" Nice touch, LOL

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

Here in Texas a Motor Bicycle isn't considered a motor vehicle Read the definition of a motor vehicle again.

RCW 46.04.320
Motor vehicle.
"Motor vehicle" means every vehicle that is self-propelled"
You can argue in court that a motor bicycle is not self propelled, because you have to peddle it from a stop. Since there's that question, it's considered a gray area in Texas law according to the DPS.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

I always make a point to stress that to anyone who asks me about my bikes on the street. The motor is an assist device, despite how a lot of people on here (ab)use theirs. This is not supposed to be an ultralight moped exceeding 30. I'm almost always pedaling, whether I'm accelerating or ghosting at cruise.
I'd have to say I've had a pretty high % of people that don't really know anything about motor bicycles refer to the motor as an assist motor, so it seems a reasonable assumtion

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com

You can argue in court that a motor bicycle is not self propelled, because you have to peddle it from a stop. Since there's that question, it's considered a gray area in Texas law according to the DPS.
I'm pretty sure the guy is in Washington. lol Why are you dragging Texas into this?
I don't think there are two States that have the same laws on Motorized Bikes.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

I'm pretty sure the guy is in Washington. lol Why are you dragging Texas into this?
I don't think there are two States that have the same laws on Motorized Bikes.
Shut up fool. Almost ever state has the same definition of a motor vehicle. If there's no spicific law for a gas powered motor bicycle, that's the law they usually use.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida

Sigh........A cop can do ANYTHING he/she wants..( they have Glocks ....do you ? ) ...A cop will....and usually does .....whatever they want ....you are at their mercy .........sad but true ......just be cool on the bike....don't go running through lights or stop signs ....adhere to basic traffic laws.....it's pretty simple really......DON'T BE STUPID....do not attract attention to yourself ......be aware of your surroundings .....focus on the task at hand ....you're going somewhere .....don't you want to get there ? .........simple.....

Salty.shft.

Last edited:

mirage

Oct 31, 2010
england

to bimoped, when i said hit back, i did not mean punch, words in the right place afterwards can give you a bit of clout, proving is not nessasary, the doubt is enough, seeing what U.S cops are like, going off the the tv documenteries. I agree you don,t piss them off at the time, i say yes sir, no sir. but then again i am english.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida

to bimoped, when i said hit back, i did not mean punch, words in the right place afterwards can give you a bit of clout, proving is not nessasary, the doubt is enough, seeing what U.S cops are like, going off the the tv documenteries. I agree you don,t piss them off at the time, i say yes sir, no sir. but then again i am english.
Well versed Sir......Being as it we speak English.....Yes Sir !....No Sir !......a cop will still kick your ass !.....and by the way .....*necessary*.....Gosh !....I thought you spoke *English*

Pshaww...

Salty.shft.

Status
Not open for further replies.