Briggs bike build

GoldenMotor.com

oppanoia

Oct 20, 2010
Costa Mesa, CA
Take a look at my Briggs motor bike build. I'm just in the early stages of the build. I'm in the process of making the bike a bike first (meaning ride able). The bendix coaster hub on the rear tire dose not have enough stopping power so I have had to introduce a front brake hub ( I'm using the matching puch hub from the maxi moped). The motor mounts are just made from plate steel I used a hole saw, hack saw, and a few files to rough them out. I still have a ways to go before I weld but I'm plugging along.

Attachments

Last edited:

thebig90

May 10, 2010
Trenton NJ
its like making Frankenstien with Jesuses legs, keep you jeri riggin paws of the mopeds.

Last edited by a moderator:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
o_O

thebig90 - Let me assure you that no moped is safe from my chop saw lol - they're parts piles rollin' or otherwise laff

Reactions: Jaroe

oppanoia

Oct 20, 2010
Costa Mesa, CA
After determining the chrome on the wheels wasn't going to clean up I had them powder coated white (goes with the final theme of the bike). The rear wheel has a basic Bendix coaster hub with heavy duty spokes. The front wheel is laced with the puch hub that matches the front forks and will give me the stopping power the bike requires. I'm a day or so away from having a rolling platform to start working on the engine and pulley mounts. Here are a few pictures of the wheels after final assembly.

Attachments

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Aside from all the drama about killing mopeds, I think the bike is coming along nicely and it's a pleasure to be able to work with you on it.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
erm... I spose I should clarify that no 'ped o'mine is safe from parts cannibalism heh

oppanoia, yer ride is turning into an excellent example of ingenuity, the front forks in particular perfect (^)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That's going to be a nice bike! I'm really interested in this whole idea of using moped parts. I think this winter I'll be on the lookout for a donor moped. Is Puch one of the better choices? Fork, wheel hubs, headlight, maybe gas tank. Lot's of good stuff! I'm not that informed on mopeds. Did the Puch have 26" wheels? Any of them have 26"? Your cantilever frame is a good choice with a whole lot of engine room. I'll be following your build for ideas. Thanks for sharing!
SB

oppanoia

Oct 20, 2010
Costa Mesa, CA
With a little ingenuity you can make most moped parts work on a bicycle. 17 inch wheels were I think the biggest put on mopeds. The good news is that almost all that I have seen have 38 hole hubs ( really you will only use the front) which will lace up to 26 inch bicycle wheels. Also most forks will work I had to re thread mine to fit the bicycle hardware. I had a puch donor moped I was using to build my running puch maxi. So I didn't have to hunt for parts. Most puch mopeds have the gas tanks built into the frame ( the exception is there top tank models ) so they wont work. A quick eBay search of "moped gas tank" will give you a lot to look at. Good question this is the type of post I like to see. To all the moped weirdo's like myself, there were no mopeds harmed during the building of this project.

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I've been thinking a lot about your build and am intrigued with the idea of using a moped front fork. So is your's from a Puch Maxi? And that is a suspension fork, correct? Could you give a little more detain on what you did to make it fit the bicycle front fork? You had to re thread... what and how did you and would there be other headset hardware you could use so that you wouldn't have to re thread? Thanks for taking the time to respond. I've looked around and can't find much information on this. Moped Army inquiry got me nowhere.
SB

oppanoia

Oct 20, 2010
Costa Mesa, CA
Yes, I used a puch maxi because I had one I was using for parts. I forget the die size I used to re thread the fork. ( MSRFAN what size was that die? ).
I had to re thread the fork so all the head piece hardware matched up. I'm not sure if there is another way to do it besides getting a box of random head piece hardware and trying different combinations. The moped army is great for general moped questions but as you will find they are very loyal to there machines and not much help concerning stuff like this. You may get lucky though. Once again THE MOPED ARMY IS A GREAT RESOARCE.

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
So, was the headset from the original Schwinn fork and this re threading of the Puch fork was to make it compatible with the Schwinn hardware? I wonder then if the other route one could take would be to leave the Puch fork threading alone and find a metric headset compatible with it. Just thinking and plotting my course here. I'm hoping to locate a Puch fork locally in response to my ad in the local shopper. If not, I'll find one on eBay, but would rather find a whole moped to scavenge parts from. How fortunate for you to have msrfan as a resource. You're going to have a great bike!
SB

oppanoia

Oct 20, 2010
Costa Mesa, CA
Here are some pictures of the rear wheel set up. Unfortunately the rear wheel with the pulley is to wide for the bike. Boo. So the solution is to crimp the bike frame to give me the clearance to fit the whole set up. Also the other way to take care of the problem is to cut the fender brace on the frame and bend it. I have been told that the crimping will look more professional. So well on my way !!!

Attachments

Last edited:

oppanoia

Oct 20, 2010
Costa Mesa, CA
Yeah the re threading was to fit the Schwinn hardware. It looks a lot nicer than the puch headset. the puch fork was just easy for me. you can do the same thing with any moped fork depending on the look you are after.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yeah the re threading was to fit the Schwinn hardware. It looks a lot nicer than the puch headset. the puch fork was just easy for me. you can do the same thing with any moped fork depending on the look you are after.
Awesome! That is very good news and makes me confident about mating an old Schwinn with a moped. I can hardly wait to find one to scavenge. Your wheel looks great... getting closer to vroooom!
SB

ducatiluke

Jan 20, 2009
los angeles/ south australia
i didnt know that the briggs motor would fit inside the frame of a beach cruzer
looks like ill be gooing bavck to the shed
for a while

i was going to upload a new picture of my bike but couldnt be bothered

with resizing oh well