1949 Whizzer/Panther

GoldenMotor.com

Black Panther

Jan 20, 2010
Calif
I got a it years ago and it came with a Bi-lite headlight. It didn't have the Hall generator on the flywheel. How did they power the headlight?

I see someone said they use a generator on the belts? Any photo?

Thanks

Hi Black Panther,

The lights were 6V, and could be powered with a 6V lantern battery. I remember using a battery pack that attached to the frame and held a 6V latern battery on one of my Whizzers as a youth.

The Bi-Lite head lights were normally powered with either the Bendix or Hall generator. The Bendix was connected via a bracket on the belt guard mounting screws [magneto cover], and the Hall was attached under the exhaust manifold. Both had wheels [fiber material] that rubbed against the spinning flywheel when engauged.

The Hall is very hard to find, however the Bendix was more common and used on a variety of motorbikes & scooters.

Hope this information helps.

Have fun,

Black Panther

Jan 20, 2010
Calif
Thanks for the info. I just saw a hall generator went for $50 on ebay that what me thinking how they did mine. I came across a photo of the bendix generator with the bracket. From you say it ran on the belt. It give the idea of running it. I don't have the tall light that will help the headlight.

If you can remember.
The next question is what type of lens did the Bi lite headlight have. I am have all the parts but the lens. I may just going to get glass or wait to see get on ebay.

I got the SW speedometer and it is noise. Make sure the chain sprocket is right and replace the that is not from Schwinn AS.

Last edited:
Hi Black Panther,

WOW $50.00, wish I would have seen that, cause it would be in my collection.

Both Hall & Bendix ran off the flywheel, they just mounted differently on the motor. It is necessary to use the tail light or the headlight will burn out.

I think a company called Whizzer Industries has a replacement lens [might find doing a Google search].

Have fun,

Black Panther

Jan 20, 2010
Calif
Found what the Bendix one look like. The thread for the 47 whizzer below this one has it on. I have seen one on ebay. Maybe take a wheel generator make it work or hide a small motor and put a wheel on it too. There is a photo of a whizzer that has one single saddle bag maybe for battery. I think can see a wire going in to it. There is many way of do it without damage it.

Black Panther

Jan 20, 2010
Calif
At Whizzerworks in the parts they have a one for the generator/bracket. I been trying to fig if it ran on the flywheel. Featured Whizzer Parts

Mine dad has a back yard Harbor Freight windmills and we try to run a motor for a generator to power led. I made it like Hall generator setup. It fail do to we got 24v motor and they use the VCR motor. If I make one is to take a drill motor to the surplus store to fine one that will make 6v.

On ebay there is a carter n carb for $9. I got mine out of Canada it cost me $110.

Hi Black Panther,

The "bottle" generator on Mike's site is a very rare, very early unit and did run on the flywheel through a hole in the belt cover. It ran against the side of the flywheel, whereas the later Bendix & Hall units ran on the edge of the flywheel.

Be very careful concerning Carter carburetors. Carter made a lot of different versions of the "N" carburetor, and most of the time they won't work well on a Whizzer motor. The easiest way to tell if it came from a lawn mower or a Whizzer is by the gas entry point. If the fuel line is attached from the top via a large brass fitting it is most likely [99%]a Whizzer carburetor. If the fuel line enters the side of the carburetor it IS NOT a Whizzer carburetor.

Have fun,

Black Panther

Jan 20, 2010
Calif
Why got mine Whizzer is dad talk ride one when he was a kid. After I got the Panther, I got him a new bike engine kit and had to buy the old bike for xmas. When I got the kit, they also sold a new clutch sprocket that was custom made for climbing hills. Have you heard of someone doing this for the old Whizzer?

Last edited:

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Why got mine Whizzer is dad talk ride one when he was a kid. After I got the Panther, I got him a new bike engine kit and had to buy the old bike for xmas. When I got the kit, they also sold a new clutch sprocket that was custom made for climbing hills. Have you heard of someone doing this for the old Whizzer?
What in the world does that first sentence mean???

Hi Black Panther,

There were a lot of options on clutch systems "back in the day". Whizzer [vintage] offered a manual clutch with a 5"/3.5" or a 5"/4" pulley. The 4" output pulley was designed to balance the 20" Sportsman ratios. The stock ratio on a 24" Whizzer Pacemaker was 9.15 X 1 and the stock ratio on the 20" Sportsman was 7.96 X 1. The 24" Pacemaker would travel at 40 MPH @ 5130 RPMs, and the 20" Sportsman needed to turn 5355 RPMs to reach 40 MPH. Whizzer also offered the automatic clutch in both pulley sizes. For a short time they even offered a 2 speed automatic [Bi-Matic].

Whizzer [and thier authorized dealers] now offer the automatic clutch in three output sizes, a 50MM [1.96"], 70MM [2.75"], and 90MM [3.54"]. Final ratios are 16.93 X 1 [should be able to climb the side of a house, but very low top end], 11.78 X 1 [great for heavy riders that ride in the hills or mountains], and 9.04 X 1 [great for average or light riders].

I used the 50 MM on my record setting Sportsman at Dawson Springs, KY in 2008, but changed to 70 MM in 2009 [opps, went even faster, and set new records]. I use the 90 MM on all my street Whizzers because I like to cruise without the motor "wound up tight".

Have fun,

Black Panther

Jan 20, 2010
Calif
I did get the kit and the stock clutch sheave would not climb hills. I put on the kit and it climb. I was thinking copy/make one and try to get it where a motorcycle stator can make power. If I need speed it time for a motorcycle.

Thanks for helping with mine question. I will print the info to save it.

jbcruisin,
Everyone has story. I never seen Whizzer until I got his engine kit. His story is that he tell is remember riding his friend brother Whizzer the day the brother went off to the Korea war. Then he say that a wire broke and he went and got liquid solder. He ask his friend how long to wait and the friend said 24 hour. They both said screw it let ride. I grown up with Taco minibike, motorcycle and the best thing was Manx buggy.

Mine Whizzer came from Kansas City and pay a arm to ship it. It is a 8.5 out of ten.
When I got it started and running someone stop me and said I had the biggest smile. Just something need to be remove back to stock. Goose-neck and seat. I have question about the crank. Schwinn put the bike together. The crank that is on there is gas bent. I would think someone took it off the nice bent crank.

What got me back looking at the Whizzer is went over to a friend house and he restoring a Sears minibike with headlight and a plate. If I what to make the Whizzer a ten can ask him where to got stuff done.

Plus reading a person buy a Honda 50 from the post office and start in Australia and end in UK. The web page is Sydney to London on a moped called Dot - ADVrider The story's and photo is too good not to read.

I am looking for place in USA like Holland to ride.
I went to Holland and did a bike trip. Hotel to hotel 20 to 30 mile a day. It was too good that I did it the next year. In Holland you can ride on the bike path with scooter. It is setup for the Whizzer. If it was here What is a car? only very bad day a car. I know they do the Alaska Hwy that way on motorcycle. I would think New England can be done too. The place in Utah do it for atv. It dirt roads. I been taken Amtrak and thinking hop off in the Midwest and ride to town to town. I just saw on other web page that group go out and ride in Las Angles. I live in Las Vegas and it not setup for Whizzer.

Last edited: