Cranbrook Builders!-Please Help!

GoldenMotor.com

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Slamming a coaster brake at 30mph will fubar it almost every time, Coasters were NOT made for 35mph.
I HATE coaster brakes!!!
fatdaddy.
I concur with this statement as I locked mine up trying to slow down too quickly.

Over the curb and into the pines I went.

It was not pleasant in the least bit.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Never had any issue with coaster brakes myself, but I will say there is no doubt that it is probably the least desirable braking on a motorized bike by most if you are running above 25MPH mine has never locked up on me but just like on my motorcycles my initial braking is always done with the front brake which is the best way unless road is wet or you're in a corner, as far as I know even cars and trucks still proportion the braking force to 60% for the front wheels and 40% for the rear when you hit the brake pedal, for me the coaster is almost always secondary braking with the front being the one I rely on first for slowing me down and then I apply just enough of the coaster brake to finish the job.

Eventually I plan on having a good rim brake on the rear of the Huffy also, I do like having the better control of the caliper type brakes they work much smoother and are less likely to lock up like the coaster can.

Map
reddd

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
TBH, map, if you want smooth and control from a rim brake, you'll want linear pull (V) brakes.
Those things are flat awesome with the right pads.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
TBH, map, if you want smooth and control from a rim brake, you'll want linear pull (V) brakes.
Those things are flat awesome with the right pads.
Oh yeah, I two of my bikes have the V brakes........best brakes to me, I never owned a bike with disc brakes so I cant compare to them but yes the linear V brakes are the best for sure that I have.
One of the bikes I have with them isn't motorized anymore but I have plans for it in the future, its a nice Schwinn comfort bike with front suspension, it is so smooth...... suspension seat post also and it has the smoothest turning wheels of ant of my bikes, needs better tires and different handlebars, the frame isn't ideal for the china girl engines, but I did have one on it before just really hard to get a carb in there, you can see from the pic how the upper bar swoops down and the angle of the down tube kinda curves up, this will be the berries of a bike when I get an engine set up nice on it, who knows maybe my newest Dax lower might end up on this one.....shrug

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Oh yeah, I two of my bikes have the V brakes........best brakes to me, I never owned a bike with disc brakes so I cant compare to them but yes the linear V brakes are the best for sure that I have.
One of the bikes I have with them isn't motorized anymore but I have plans for it in the future, its a nice Schwinn comfort bike with front suspension, it is so smooth...... suspension seat post also and it has the smoothest turning wheels of ant of my bikes, needs better tires and different handlebars, the frame isn't ideal for the china girl engines, but I did have one on it before just really hard to get a carb in there, you can see from the pic how the upper bar swoops down and the angle of the down tube kinda curves up, this will be the berries of a bike when I get an engine set up nice on it, who knows maybe my newest Dax lower might end up on this one.....shrug

]
My mountain bike has a disc front and a v-brake rear. For the longest time my rear worked better than the front until i finally fixed it.

You know your disc is strong enough when you panic stop in about 5 ft from 13+ mph, about 5 ft from a drainage ditch that's close to 3 ft deep. Stopped so hard, it actually pulled the wheel from the fork a tad (quick release wheel). Never did that maneuver again as I nearly wrecked myself. :D

That actually looks like a nice frame. Put an offset intake on it and I think it would fit better.

Something I want to do to my Cranny is find a Roadmaster mtn bike to use for parts, and swap the fork on it. V-brakes and all. :D

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
My mountain bike has a disc front and a v-brake rear. For the longest time my rear worked better than the front until i finally fixed it.

You know your disc is strong enough when you panic stop in about 5 ft from 13+ mph, about 5 ft from a drainage ditch that's close to 3 ft deep. Stopped so hard, it actually pulled the wheel from the fork a tad (quick release wheel). Never did that maneuver again as I nearly wrecked myself. :D

That actually looks like a nice frame. Put an offset intake on it and I think it would fit better.

Something I want to do to my Cranny is find a Roadmaster mtn bike to use for parts, and swap the fork on it. V-brakes and all. :D
Yeah that could have gotten ugly real quick...........LOL!

yeah, I had the offset intake on the bike before when I put the engine on it, but even with it I had room issues, I might get away with the NT carb now if I use the shorty Manic/Pirate type intake like I have on the Dax engine now, I'll have to try it with that intake and if that doesn't work I'll just build an intake for it, not hard to do just takes a little time, linking carb to intake with a large dia fuel line isn't out of the question either.
Once I get time to set engine in frame and look at it a bit closer I'lll know what I will need to do.

I found a place on ebay that has a front suspension fork that has 1" head tube and is set up for the disc brake caliper and for the V brakes, I have been considering this one myself to go on the Huffy, the Kulana and the old Mountain bike, it would be a big improvement on all of them. link below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251217147665?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Map
reddd

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Yeah that could have gotten ugly real quick...........LOL!

yeah, I had the offset intake on the bike before when I put the engine on it, but even with it I had room issues, I might get away with the NT carb now if I use the shorty Manic/Pirate type intake like I have on the Dax engine now, I'll have to try it with that intake and if that doesn't work I'll just build an intake for it, not hard to do just takes a little time, linking carb to intake with a large dia fuel line isn't out of the question either.
Once I get time to set engine in frame and look at it a bit closer I'lll know what I will need to do.

I found a place on ebay that has a front suspension fork that has 1" head tube and is set up for the disc brake caliper and for the V brakes, I have been considering this one myself to go on the Huffy, the Kulana and the old Mountain bike, it would be a big improvement on all of them. link below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251217147665?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Map
reddd
That's a pretty slick fork.
Wish I had the cash. :(

But then I'd need a disc wheel....hmm...I do still have a good disc hub from my old mtn bike wheel... lol

Would need caliper and another brake cable too.
Likely go with a 180mm Avid BB7