indian rip off

GoldenMotor.com

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
This is a '50 Schwinn that I'm trying to build. I used most of the parts that were intended for the '49 Higgins build but that project is on hold indefinately. I'm trying to get a grubee 66cc with a sbp shift kit in there and it doesn't want to fit. I figured I'd post a picture before I scratch it all up. I got the color scheme from a '27 Indian scout that was on display at a local bike shop that was used as a wall of death bike back in the day. It had handle bars as this bike has so comfort should be good and it still looks like I wanted it to. I still have to get a proper seat and a few other things but I'm pretty tapped right now.

Attachments

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
In order to keep the chain from contacting the motor on the clutch side I have to raise the motor high in the frame. I have it as high as I can get it and the chain is still touching lightly. If I keep it at this height I'll have to buy a straight carb mount because the throttle cable will get kinked by the frame. I was thinking about making some 1/4" thick aluminum spacers to go between the kit and the flat of the rear mounting clamps which would move the motor forward slightly but I don't know if it will have any ill effects. Other than a smaller front sprocket I can't think of anything else. I'm not crazy about how far back and high it sits in the frame either. Any sound advice or ideas would be welcome. I plan on contacting sbp Monday but some of you guys are really clever and I'd like to hear what you have for ideas.

Thank you for the kind compliments guys much appreciated.

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
In order to keep the chain from contacting the motor on the clutch side I have to raise the motor high in the frame. I have it as high as I can get it and the chain is still touching lightly. If I keep it at this height I'll have to buy a straight carb mount because the throttle cable will get kinked by the frame. I was thinking about making some 1/4" thick aluminum spacers to go between the kit and the flat of the rear mounting clamps which would move the motor forward slightly but I don't know if it will have any ill effects. Other than a smaller front sprocket I can't think of anything else. I'm not crazy about how far back and high it sits in the frame either. Any sound advice or ideas would be welcome. I plan on contacting sbp Monday but some of you guys are really clever and I'd like to hear what you have for ideas.

Thank you for the kind compliments guys much appreciated.
You can simply notch the clutch cover. (That's what I did on the Felt Slater.) ;)
This is the only pic I have of it...

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
I made shims to move the motor forward 1/4" and that helped but I may notch the cover like you suggested just for extra space. Didn't do a panther with a shift kit awhile back ago? I really appreciate the help from you guys. I hate having to ask for help but this is my first shift kit and I want to be sure that I don't make any major mistake at this stage of the game. I just wish I could get the motor lower in the frame for astetics but it just isn't going to happen.

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
I'm sorry to keep anyone waiting that wanted to see the out come of this build. I got it all together and made a longer exhaust that looped back under the motor and exited out the side of the rear wheel. The motor really liked that exhaust as it kept pulling the rear wheel forward on acceleration and spitting the chain off. I put it on the back burner for the winter but I brought it out to bring to a snowmobile show. Someone bought it out of the back of the truck before it made it there. It now resides in the living room of some guys lake house. I kind of lost interest in building so I haven't been online but I got another bike started that I might mess with this winter.

Attachments