Whizzer with a chain and sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

bbeards2

Sep 28, 2008
I've been thinking more and more about embarking on a new build. The style of bike I would like to build, resembles a 66s cafe racer. Before I start I was wondering if a whizzer engine could have a pulley that goes to a sprocket? Next what size gears would I need to run on the bike to achieve normal speeds considering I would be using a 20 inch wheel instead of a 26.

Thank you

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi I can't wait to hear how you would like to do this, the last Whizzer that I saw chain-driven used a 1937 Royal Enfield transmission, belted to the engine, and chained to the rear wheel, this gave him 3-speeds, a clutch, and a kick-starter.

What did you have in mind?

Mike

bbeards2

Sep 28, 2008
Um not sure i was going to try and rig it through the bottom bracket of a bicycle. Maybe have a pulley connect to a sprocket on the right side. Do you know of any place online that sells just the engine. Where can I find the one with OHV?

Last edited:
Hi bbeards2,

The 1950 Whizzer sportsman had 20" wheels [I have one], and the clutch ratio was different than the 26" Whizzer. The ratio from the clutch is 4.43 X 1 on the 26" version, and 3.85 X 1 on the 20" Whizzer sportsman. Just duplicate the ratios with chain sprockets and it will work, I.E. wheel sprocket = 50 tooth and the drive sprocket = 13 for a final ratio of 3.846 X 1 [close to 3.85 X 1].

The overhead Whizzer conversion is about $1200.00 if you have the motor to convert. The average price of a Whizzer motor is approx. $700.00, making the total cost just under $2000.00 [counting shipping expenses].

The OHV motor is taller than the stock motor and will require frame modification in most cases.

The conversion kit is available from
70MPH WHIZZER BICYCLE!

Have fun,