I don't think I'm getting a lot of RPMs...

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
on my 2 stroke china girl.

It seems to be load related. If I'm standing still and twist my throttle, then I'll get that familiar high pitched scream out of it. But when riding it won't get a whole lot of rpm. It's been this way most of the summer and it hasn't been a problem since I do tend to ride slowly and avoid making a lot of noise. Plus my bike is a bit on the heavy side. It's not a record breaker, but it's heavier than I'd want if it were a pedal bike. So I imagine that the load itself might make this a fairly slow bike. But with winter coming on, I want a bit more strength.

There's a hill near me that's pretty steep. My first china girl engine, five years ago, could climb it. Though it needed my help on the pedals and it felt like I was straining that pedal drive. On this engine I know that I couldn't even begin to climb that hill. The difference is that big.

Because of a modification that I made to my throttle cable I am able to grab hold of the cable at a point right above the engine and pull by hand. If I twist the throttle all the way and then pull on this cable I get no more movement in the throttle slide. So it doesn't seem to be a throttle mis-adjustment issue.

About a week ago I looked at the spark plug. Mostly it's been the color of toast. Or pretty close. This time it was looking a little more black. So I moved the needle clip up one notch. From 3/5 up to 2/5. But I also expect to lower that clip soon because of winter coming. I bring this up mostly in case of the possibility that I have a fuel/air mix issue.

I'm about out of speculations on the cause now. Any ideas?

Thanks.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yes....my mileage is likely to be somewhere around 1000 by now. And that's with cutting down my estimate to avoid over optimistic calculating.

I pulled the end off the muffler a few weeks ago and no garbage fell out. But maybe I'd best pull it off completely and have a real look inside.

And I don't think I've had my air filter off since I built the bike. Early 2012. Clearly that needs looking into. I should have thought of that.

Now if the Sun would only come up, I could get to work on this.

Oh well, maybe a good night's sleep first.......