New Recumbent Build

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Elmo, I gotta get you a pic but this guy in Hartford made a recumbent out of a full suspension MTB! He blazed past me 2ce and ran after him last time to ask but he was gone. Has to be your CT cousin.

Both times he went past so fast, I could not see how he had it rigged but would make an awesome MB. (RMB?)

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Nice work Elmo! Cool tensioner, gonna be a nice bike. Using an auto clutch?
Yeah the plan is to use a Staton 18.75 reduction transmission with inside drive and centrifugal clutch.

Dan I think this one will be fast also.

Last edited:

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I guess you all thought I had died or something. I had a lot of trouble getting some of my parts and have been building a house for a guy 40 miles from home. I finally have all that I need to finish this bike motor wise. I have been riding it some without the engine and it does very well, no nasty habits. Anyway I will soon have some time to work on it. Also have been collecting parts to put a 5.0 in my 84 Ranger. (5,3,2012 Ranger is toast, a woman pulled out in front of me and I t-boned her at 45 mph, ruined my little truck0

Last edited:

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
aghhh what happened to the recumbent really curious
It is kind of on a standstill right now. I am building a house (3700 sq.ft.) for a guy and don't have much time or energy for it right now. I finally got all the parts from staton. If I had a few days I could get it going. All that's left is building motor mounts and hooking all the stuff together. I will finish it some time this year.

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
me and friend are starting our builds next weekend right know just scraping all the small things together .

slow and steady

realy like your build i subscribed and am going to be keeping a close on eye on this one hope all goes well on the build and that house .

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
O.K. I am going to finish the bike now. Life got in the way but now I think I have time to finish it. I am mostly through with my shop so I have a place that I can work on it rain or shine and day or night. I have named it Lazarus because it is coming back from the dead. "Lazarus come forth"from when Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead.
Elmo

Last edited:

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Thanks sb. I am going to put it all together and work out the bugs,if any. Then disassemble it and put the frame in the blast cabinet then paint. I still haven't come up with a Stars and Stripes paint job that I like. Being artistic yourself what do you think would look good? I have the reduction gear on the hf 79 cc engine that was on the Flying Dutchman 18.75 to 1. It has two shafts the extra is faster. Thinking about finding some kind of small alternator to hook to that one.
Elmo

Last edited:

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I pulled out the HF 79 CC Greyhound engine from the Flying Dutchman today. It has 2500 + miles on it and still runs strong. I have two new spares also. I installed the Staton 18.5 gear reduction and hooked it up to the engine. Installed the stock gas tank and muffler so I could run it on the bench. Cranked right up after a little gasoline in the tank. The centrifugal clutch worked as it was supposed to and no untoward noises or parts flying around.
Elmo
IMG_1153.JPG IMG_1154.JPG

Attachments

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I put Lazarus on the bike stand and set the engine on him. gonna have to cut a longer jackshaft so I can offset the engine about 3/4 or 1 inch so it won't interfere with the pedal chain.
Elmo
IMG_1150.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The 79cc Greyhound was a good engine. I never had a bit of trouble from mine, then sold the bike it was on and I'm guessing it still runs well. The 79cc Predator seems like pretty much the same engine with a different name and black instead of blue, but I never studied the matter. It, too, is a winner. Easy pull and starts easily, runs smooth and strong with a lot of low end grunt. I think it's a real good choice for a motored bicycle.
SB

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Dirt cheap used to sell HF returned engines that supposedly didn't work. I bought 3 of the 79cc ones for $70.00. I also bought two of the larger ones for $50.00. Minor repairs. Spark plugs for two. Bent tin for two more and a carb repair for one. The only cash outlay was for the spark plugs. Too bad they don't sell them anymore.
Elmo

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I started the seat for Lazarus today. I got the seat idea from recycled recumbents. I bent the seat mounting pieces and fishmouthed them with a Ol Joint Jigger on the drill press. IMG_1156.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
then I bent the side pieces and brazed them together. I used 3/4 inch conduit(emt) instead of 1/2" that recycled recumbents uses. Next I have to build the retaining hardware.
Elmo
IMG_1160.JPG

Attachments

Last edited: